?'s About Defragmenting Windows...

Kelzy

i might be looking into this toooo much but i am wandering if you HAVE to or SHOULD close ALL running processes when you defragment windows 98se ? right now i'm curently using diskkeeper 9 to defrag my harddrive (works well BTW) but i heard somewhere that you have to close all running apps down to defrag correctly (even the apps that boot with win98) is there a "proper" way to defrag or doesnt it matter ?

it's actualy best to defrag when your not using the computer and when your not running any applications,i find diskeeper best for the nt oses and norton speedisk for win9x but if you've got antivirus running,leave it running,if you try to defrag with other stuff going it may take longer or it will complain and not defrag.

Hi Kelzy

I remember when I was running a defrag on 98se with programs running in the background and if an advertizement changed it would send the progress back to 0% and started over again. There would be a messege that said something about my system had changed and must restart. My recommendation is to close everything down, even disconnect from the net to run the defrag. What I generally do is close all programs and disconnect from the net, start the defrag, turn off my monitor and go to bed. I also found it was a good idea to clean house, temp files, cookies, do a disk cleanup before starting the defrag. Daniel

When running Scandisk/Defrag on Win9x systems I've found nothing that works better than first performing a cleanup with a good program such as CCleaner and then using Geodisk2 to control the ScanDisk/Defrag activity. GeoDisk2 is a program specifically written to deal with Scandisk & Defrag freezing on Win9x systems.

I use window washer regularly to clean all my cache,internet traces,recent application lists etc.... thanks for all your input everyone i think i get it now .

First run my window washer progie, stop all my running tasks reboot and then only defrag without any running processes (i.e. no use of the computer at all during a defrag)

is there anything wrong with using diskkeeper to defrag the hd in windows 98se? or is norton speeddisk specifically designed for windows 98se ?

I have to agree with oftentired in respect to CCleaner. I love it. As far as software for defraging, I personally dont like to put software on my system when it's already provided in Windows. But thats just my choice. I much rather save the space for something else.

My solution for defragmenting the partition I have widnows on::

format c: /q

:w00t:

Then reinstall windows.. I keep all other data on much larger secondary partitions or even drives.

No, but seriously I do it that way so I almost never defrag. You may not want to do that if you are not comfortable with manipulating partitions on a regular basis.

It is best to do it when you are not using your comp. You want real fast.. Boot to something besides the partition you are wanting to defrag.. Use a Windows PE cd with your favorite defrag program on it.

I have to agree with oftentired in respect to CCleaner. I love it. As far as software for defraging, I personally dont like to put software on my system when it's already provided in Windows. But thats just my choice. I much rather save the space for something else.

Geodisk2 is not a ScanDisk or defrag replacement. It is an extremely small program which consumes 576Kb of space on my harddrive. The user sets the program with the desired options and then lets it run. The program shuts off all unnecessary running processes and runs one, two, or all three of these selections: Its own internal Cleaner, Microsoft Scandisk, and Microsoft Defrag.

One thing you forgot on geodisk oftentired is that it uses ME scandisk/defrag, which is faster than 98/98se's :)

:hello: So many people shudder when they see Win ME I find it prudent to leave off that tidbit since for such people it is not a good aspect of the program irregardless of the benefits using the Win ME Defrag bring to the show :whistle:

While I'm typing.

My primary boot OS is Win XP. I try every free and trial program and method I see recommended for defragging and always go back to running GeoDisk2 from Win 98 on my dual boot system. This being one reason I stick with FAT32; anyone dual booting with an NTFS volume will not be able to use GeoDisk2 on that volume.

Safe Mode does not always result in the expected good environment for a fast Scandisk & Defrag. Yet when Safe Mode doesn't work GeoDisk2 most often still works as expected. Additionally booting to safe mode on a frequent basis is asking for trouble. Doing so can occasionally result in change system settings for the Desktop and the Video card being changed for the normal boot. When that happens it is very difficult to put things right.

Since I'm certain XP users also read this forum I will add... The only defrag program for Win XP system I've found that comes close to bringing me as much joy and happiness that GeoDisk2 has for Win 9x system been Power Defragmenter. But I have not found a way to get it to defrag all the drives. It only lets you point it at one at a time and does not accept any parameters that I'm aware of.

The other program for Win XP I've found useful is PageDefrag. However, it is not a full drive defrag. It specializes in the registry hives and the pagefile(s).

PS If you haven't realized it I'm not a DiskKeeper fan :o