Need Help From The Experts

Hi i have been told this is the place to go for help :hello:

well i have a problem i created an unattended iso winxp pro sp2

everything goes ok untill i reboot then i get an error saying "The product key is not valid for this media type please use the correct installation cd to reinstall windows ERROR CODE:0x80040509" can anyone help the key i use is valid on a normal install but not unattend.

plz plz help

This may sound like a silly question... but are you sure youre using the CDKEY which goes with the Windows CD you created the unattended ISO with? Also, how are you formatting the CDKEY in the winnt.sif file?

... and welcome to msfn!!

Thanx for your welcome

this board is great

i checked the cd key again started from scratch but it still comes up with the same error

when i start the installation it says setting up xp home but the start bar says xp pro so does the sartup screen maybe that has something to do with it

plz help tryed msfn unattended cd setup but to no avail

plz help

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem as described above - doing unattended setup xp home edition with sp2 slipstreamed and all goes fine until...

Computer reboots and goes to log in for the first time and comes up with the same error. My product key is in winnt.sif and I have even tried taking it out of winnt.sif and putting it in manually during install to see if that made a difference.

Any suggestions?

The product key is not valid for this media type

What ident files are in root of your CD? Sounds like you've got an incorrect mix and what CD are you using for your source Home or Pro?

For slipstreamed WinXP Pro with SP2 you should have:

WIN51 
WIN51IP
WIN51IP.SP2

• 5 months later...
Hi i have been told this is the place to go for help :hello:

well i have a problem i created an unattended iso winxp pro sp2

everything goes ok untill i reboot then i get an error saying "The product key is not valid for this media type please use the correct installation cd to reinstall windows ERROR CODE:0x80040509" can anyone help the key i use is valid on a normal install but not unattend.

plz plz help

You have to boot from cd !!! otherwise the serial will not work.

zakarias: You have the HOME EDITION cdrom , make sure it's not a copy of a OEM edition (like DELL,MEDION, and others ...)

note: since SP2 the boot screen is same as all windows xp version (home, pro & corp) ... there is just Microsoft windows XP ...