How To Disable Applications To Start Automatically

Maybe you should be searching for all these questions you have instead of posting.

I've seen you post a heap of questions, and practically all of them could've been solved if you searched, both on MSFN or google.

This one is especially generic, if you can't find this question on google, then you probably shouldn't be doing unattended installations.

There are many tools out there in the wide world... Like tweaknow powerpack, system mechanic or if you are just lookin for a startup manager mike lin created a lovely little too called startup control panel.

Here is a pre-made silent installer of it just double click and then open your control panel, it will be in there.

id recommend autoruns normally too, but amardeepsingh seems kinda new 2 this.. & id bet it'd make him screw something up, id suggest u going 2 regedit (yes i know, its not n00b proof) but try in there first..

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

@Wraith

buddy

i was not at all talking about removing programs from windows startup in windows

i know it is possible through msconfig, system mechanic and many softwares

i was referring it during unattended windows xp

i want to how to remove programs automatically from the windows startup

for example

i have installed a software say xyz (in my unattended windows )which adds itself to windows startup

but i want it to be removed manually once the unattended xp is completed

thats what i was requiring

hope u understand

@Wraith

buddy

i was not at all talking about removing programs from windows startup in windows

i know it is possible through msconfig, system mechanic and many softwares

i was referring it during unattended windows xp

i want to how to remove programs automatically from the windows startup

for example

i have installed a software say  xyz (in my unattended windows )which adds itself to windows startup

but i want it to be removed manually once the unattended xp is completed

thats what i was requiring

hope u understand

And thats exactly what he was talking about. Removing programs from windows startup is basically deleting entries from your registry. For that matter a simple search in google will tell you how to delete registry keys with a registry file. The registry file is applied the same way as all other registry file in the unattended method.

I didn't even understand what he was saying.

if u want to remove stuff from the startup automatically

u hv to do it via the registry sample yahoo

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Yahoo! Pager"=-

that disables yahoo from auto launching.

and no i dont knw whatever your going to ask next.

and the next answer to your question is still no. :thumbup

@wrath

thanks buddy for replying

but i want to know how to recognise an entry from registry

i dont know much about registry as i am a newbie

i just want to know that all the programs which starts automatically with windows lie in this registry path

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

plz tell me

Ok lads calm down. I know people should search but he seems to want to know what the key is doing, not just that it does what he wants.

Here is a small explanation.

The startup entries in windows XP are stored in different keys, you will find most of them in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run, some of them may be in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run because some programs may start up depending on what user logs on. Just check both of them for the ones which you want to remove. It cant be any simpler.

Here is a screenshot of my registry. As you can see I have 3 things starting up when i logon. But what programs do they represent? Well the key give info to which program it is launching, and I have highlighted this with a red box. So I know the key for Microsoft Anti Spyware is gcasServe. So to stop it from starting up, i need to remove this from the registry.

info8ck.th.jpg

So how do you remove keys unattended from the registry?

Well in note pad create the file like in the picture, with the key branch the key is stored in (in the picture that is [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run]) and then the key we want to remove.

To remove a key you put

"keyname"=- (using - in regedit removes a value)

Save this file as startup.reg and in a batch file or form runonceEx (after all the programs have installed) put REGEDIT /S startup.reg.

Also guys, how do you remove startup programs which are called Common startup in msconfig? They dont seem to have registry keys, unless im being a moron :lol: . Do you remove them by removing the .lnk files fron the startup folder?

Also guys, how do you remove startup programs which are called Common startup in msconfig? They dont seem to have registry keys. Do you remove them by removing the  .lnk files fron the startup folder?

Correct.

del /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*.lnk"

Or if its user-specifioc, then %userprofile%.