Would it run?

Nanaki

Pretty obvious title. :)

I want to blow some new life into my old bugger since I'm in desperate need of two PC's. It has these specs:

- 1300MhZ Celeron

- 128MB SDRAM (upgrading to 256 prob)

- TNT2 32MB

- 20GB HDD.

It's currently running Windows 98SE on it, so I'm asking, would it run good on the described machine, or at least waaaay more stable than W98.

Tnx in advance. :)

man, this is a configuration where I was able to get Windows XPSP2 run decently (not slow):

600 MHz  proc

128M  SD RAM

intel 810 chipset (therefore integrated graphics)

20 GB HDD (normal, 5400 rpm)

It could run office apps, play non-3D games, browse the web, etc. all pretty fast. And this was without using nLite.

So yeah, if you are not of the category to install a thousand useless tools/games just for the sake of trying them out, then WinXP will run fine on the machine you describe above.

I second firefoxthebomb, if not more ram(get 133mhz, junk your current one & just get two 256 or better 512 sticks, enable the 133 bus speed in your bios).... also, a newer/faster hard disk(you shan't have to pay more than 50 cents a GB for an 8mb cache / 7200 rpm)-- think strongly about double-booting.... AND before you upgrade, it's very important to set your cluster size to 4K: EVEN if you plan to stay on fat32, EVEN if you plan to format & convert to NTFS-- there are many benefits to doing this.

Once you install xp, go to BlackViper or other such site for tweaks: turn off file indexing, the native firewall, enable dma/udma(in windows, in bios, in device manager / properties for each fixed & removable drive), etc. here's the dns cache fix for xp: http://www.speedguide.net/files/winxp_dnscache.zip If you haven't done so already, go to Intel site and download the Intel Application Accelerator for your chipset type.

Apply the Autopatcher for all the updates, ms & others' power toys, & a bunch of needed system tweaks & settings changes-- all in one shot.

Be aware that there are specials for $2-300 after coupons / rebates for a top Athlon system--- it may not make sense to sink so much into your used car, when...

Good luck, let us know if you have further questions.......

Dude, I have a perfectly decent system. I just want to get my old system up and running again. ;)

I was wondering because it runs soooooooo slow at the moment with Windows 98. But after I worked on some old laptops on the NT core I though I'd give it a try. :)

And no, I don't plan running Half-Life 2 or something like that. :P

Maybe creatures or the sims... it's only to get my sister away from my good computer. :D

man, this is a configuration where I was able to get Windows XPSP2 run decently (not slow):
600 MHz  proc

128M  SD RAM

intel 810 chipset (therefore integrated graphics)

20 GB HDD (normal, 5400 rpm)

It could run office apps, play non-3D gamers, browse the web, etc. all pretty fast. And this was without using nLite.

So yeah, if you are not of the category to install a thousand useless tools/games just for the sake of trying them out, then WinXP will run fine on the machine you describe above.

I was able to run XP on the following config using an nLited version:

233MHz, 64MB RAM, 3GB HD

Pretty decent for web browsing and word processing... :)

Same here,

AMD K6 II 450MHz, 192MB RAM, 10GB HDD 5400rpm, VooDoo 3000 16MB. Not even nLited. You can play even games with that, like WarCraft III LOL B) .

ps. 1300MHz PIII Celeron IS NOT that slow. Mora RAM (like 256MB and up) a GF 4000 (low budged, but the 128bit version) and a new 7200 Harddisk will even make it a gaming machine. Try to tweak that CPU a bit, from 100 to 110MHz FSB :thumbup

(It will run NFSU(2) with good setting smooth)