We have any real guru's here?

seraph00

Feel free to move or copy this post to other parts of this forum. However, it does cover an idea involving several different OS's, so my best guess was to stick it under the general heading.

I'm looking to find out if we have and good and talented computer guru's around this forum, especially when it comes to the areas of bootable CD's, bootable DVD's, boot-menu gui's, dual-booting, and multi-booting, scripting, and unattended installations of operating systems. Think you are up to a task that is moderately challenging and yet quite possibly rewarding? Then please, by all means, read on.

I have seen a virtual explosion of forums, forum postings, and websites spring up over the internet in the past few months when it comes to home PC users and the idea of streaming/patching their Windows install discs to include current service packs. I've even seen some that go so far as to offer software and/or programming solutions to include hot-fix's, security updates and the like that are released after the service pack. As I've read, so far this is only possible with XP Home edition, XP Professional, 2000 Professional and the like, as that Me and all previous 9.x Windows don't have the ability to support this feature. Yet, many people still use Windows 98Se, especially those who use games or software that need the 9.x core, or DOS, or both. So there is this group i've also found on the net lately working on perfecting a serice pack for 98Se, that includes the updates, patches, fixes, tweaks, etc. that have been put up for download by M$. Great concept. I've also stumbled on quite the large number of websites sprining up on creating custom boot CD's. They seem to offer the ability to load everything from diagnostic tools, to operating sytems and whatever in between. Yet, I'm seeing a common theme here between all of this seemingly similar but different topics. CD's.

It makes sense that if a computer can boot itself from a CD, if that computer has a DVD reading drive of any sort, it should likewise be able to boot itself from a DVD. DVD's by there nature hold a rediculous amount of data compared to CD's. WIth dual layer burning hitting the home market, DVD recordables make CD's seem like CD's made floppys look a few short years ago.

So, here is the conept i'm looking for a few guru's to take up and consider, just think about it if nothing else. It's nothing more than idea at this point. I am no programmer. If your still interested at all, please read on.

1. Get a legal, full version, install CD of Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, and Windows XP Professional.

2. Other than in the case of 98SE where it isn't possible, streamline the install files of all the other OS's with their most current service packs, hot fix's, updates, patches, etc.

3. Put together a Gui that is easy to follow and understand by a common computer user that can load from a bootable DVD-R or DVD+R.

4. Arrange the files and scripts and whatever else as needed on said DVD-R or DVD+R so that said GUI that would load at boot of a PC, would give a user the possiblity create and formate one or more FAT32 or NTFS partitions.

5. Have the ability to single install, from the GUI that would load at boot from the DVD, Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Home, or Windows XP professional.

6. Have the option in the GUI, possibly with preconfigured suggestions or some sort of step by step guide with pictures for the average joe computer user, to setup the necesarry partitions, format them, and configure them to be able to dual-boot any 2 of the OS's that are possible. i.e. 98Se/XP as one example.

7. Have the option to likewise setup what is necessary between partitions, formats, and whatever else, to setup a multi-boot senario, something like Win98SE/Win2000/WinXP Pro as a possiblity.

8. In the case where a user chooses to install Win98Se, include the service pack as an option the user can choose to automaticly run and intall the first time they choose to load Win98 after its fully booted and loaded.

9. For anyone that might require the use of functioning DOS or a DOS like system, include one or more of the freeware or open-source DOSclones out on the Internet today as a possible install as well.

10. Blah....blah.....blah....ok...this is even boring me here....what's up with all this nothing but M$ Windows nonsense?....My apologies, for interupting, i'm his some call evil, i call more intelligent better half. Let's get to some fun stuff already.

11. Leaving all that M$ nonsense behind, which I admit is necessary for certain things to this point. Let's make some real use of the huge storage capacity on a DVD, and make some real good use out of the idea of a dual or multi OS DVD that loads a cute GUI from boot, that is the end all be all of OS install disks.

Do something that would leave M$ frothing at the mouth. Have fun, put all the install files, and a nice chunk of open source software of several major builds of Linux on this disk, at least Mandrake, RedHat, and SuSE Linux. While your at it, get a copy of DosBox, Wine, and Cedega to include with this killer DVD as well.

Since you already legally own each full version Windows install CD, and have the legal right to make a backup copy in case the original gets damaged, there is nothing that says it can't all be one the same disk, and they all have to be on seperate tiny CD's. DosBox, Wine, Cedega, Mandrake, RedHat, and SuSe you can all get from the net in short order with a good broadband or T1 connection.

So in turn you'd be able to sit down, and with little to no effort, erase the hard drive(s) on your computer, and put whatever Os on it(them) that you'd like to, any time you feel like doing so. It's also completely legal to do.

You could even post.....lets say a guide to a forum and/or a website, explaining in step by step instructions what software to use and how to use it for anyone who owns the software to do the same things. Then presto! That mountain of overly scratched CD-Roms now gets to rest safely in a box in your closet or something, and all you need is one, single, solitary, DVD in one slim case to keep in your desk.

P.S. Sorry about interupting again, but this is his better half with another good idea to add to this project. The people over at the Open-CD project or the people over at GNUWIN both have a rather large collection of open source software totally free to download and install however often you like, most of which can do just about any job commercial Windows software will do, sometimes better. It's just a guess, but i'm thinking either or both groups of releasers would be happy to allow you to put their full CD of software onto such a collective DVD, thus saving you the need to even download any software at all, in most cases, after setting up your OS with that fun spanky DVD.

Wow....imagine....one DVD, maybe two at the most, fitting into a tiny slim case, highly durable and resisitant to breaking, having complete OS's, productivity software, anti-virus, firewall, security, encryption, spyware/adware removal, desktop publishing, cd/dvd burning, and all that extra software all in one....WOW.

I dunno about you, but that is a DVD that i'd start drooling over being able to own.

If/When the DosBox, Wine, and Cedega projects get to a point of being fully functional with any program, software, or game that needs anything like Windows to work right, you could even erase every version of Windows from that DVD, and be able to make copies to give out to your hearts content.

Makes you wonder how long it would take M$ to have a collective heart attack as their stock drops in value through the floor as hundreds, then thousands of these Free open source DVD's get given out to any computer user who even thinks they might want one. M$ could start begging people to keep using their over-priced, propriatary, spyware infested, copy-protected software...heh you might even see M$ executives standing in every other Best Buy or Wal Mart begging people to come buy Longhorn or Office 2005 Professional with all the bells and whistles for $5.00 a copy. Crazy world, but it could happen. I have to admit, i'd take a certain amount of enjoyment seeing Mr. Gates having to go to Apple and ask for a job. :lol:

Wow... what world do you live in? People at this site have been creating multi-boot DVDs for some time... that's nothing new. But, believing that anything Linux will ever put Microsoft out of business... you are insane. What do you think will happen if Linux ever takes hold of the market? They would charge too. Look at every freeware program that has ever been made. Eventually everyone gets money hungry and linux would be no different. Let's see if I can put this into terms you might be able to understand. How much did you pay for Windows? $200? OK... If that runs your PC for 5 years then you have $40 a year into the ability to do EVERYTHING from your computer. Is that so bad? I paid $1400 for a bed I will only have for 10 years. Why? Because it ensures I get a good night's rest every night. Windows ensures you are able to use your PC to it's fullest extent. So, if you believe that Linux will ever bring MS to it's knees... keep dreaming.

We have any real guru's here?

This is an insult to a great deal of people. Great first post. Bet you have never even been to this site. If it were my board I would ban you for being so stupid. (probably get banned for being so hateful... but you p***ed me off!)

@everybody

Hey, before you slam his post, try to see the thought behind it.... It might even be beneficial. Plus, he's looking for a ready-made disk like that (or easy guide to do the same). In the current form, the multi-boot guides are not easy enough to be used by newbies. (but then should newbies want a disk like that!)

Now to rip it apart myself ;)

First off, this disk is not a new idea at all.... many been having something better than what you describe, since ages.

seraph, it rather looks like the post here was simply made in a generic manner so as to be posted on different forums at once. That by itself can be thought of as negative....

Do we have real gurus was a title which you shouldn't have chosen to use.... even if it meant catching instantly the attention of everyone.

you're looking to find gurus here to do all those simple things? Why, for a warez disk?

And doing such a disk is not quite what could be called "rewarding" - rewarding to whom and in what way? So many people who have read through the msfn guides already have such a disk made. And its going to be illegal to distribute it. And who is going to legitimately buy all those MS OSes and for what? (sorry, investing in one microsoft OS was bad enough....)

Linux distros on a multi-boot? Its too difficult to be worth the trouble (and its like... this month's version will be outdated before next month)

Open-source software on the same dvd as MS... not really a bad idea, but *WHY* ?

What's important is the goal, and commercial apps do it nicely here.

The step-by-step instructions/guide is a nice idea, the catch is that most do-it-yourself guides are not very simple to make or to understand. flyakite's guide does exist on msfn here.... pretty good too. If you do make something else, do give a link to the site and I'll be happy to check out or contribute in some way.

As for the drool-worthy DVD.... I don't know how long you will have it in your hands at all. Such a vast lot of items on one disk, for PERSONAL USE? naahh... it can only mean it was not bought legally. As for this kind of a disk in a corporate environment, its no big deal at all, and in fact, using physical media like disks is frowned upon for its potential negatives. Which only leaves out the possibility of sharing/circulating the disk - which will instantly put the drool in a court-room. :P

MS stock values might not drop with all that much of their products on the DVD. It can't possibly be free on the right side of the law. Make that DVD opensource-only, and you'll see almost no takers there. Gates will keep his job, and so will the open-source movement. Both have their own niches.

Hey Hey - I know.. I know..

Why don't we use Hard Disks instead of CDROM's! Or USB Keys, OMG what a great idea! USB Keys! And.. and.. we can put every Operating System known to man on ONE USB key. It could even have bluetooth so can autobuild our PDA's!

Any guru's out there that can slipstream updated drivers into Windows CE? And we can put Sun Solaris on it and even OS10 so can build Macintoshishes. And we'll use a menu system!

What a great idea a menu system! A front end menu system that comes up when you boot. And this front end menu system can stear you to the operating system you want to install. Just like a cars front end stears you down the road.

:yes: