Make GUI for batch/cmd file.

Afterdawn

I'm looking a program to "convert" my CMD scripts to a nice looking GUI program. Is there an utility that will help me do this?

Something like Visual Studio or Visual Basic is way too complicated... I just want a program that will let the user interact with the cmd-file in a nice GUI-way.

Thanks in advance! :)

• 2 weeks later...

You have GUI command-shells, but that's not a good thing to use.

You can also comiple the .CMDs to an EXE - or use CMDOW to hide it completely.

Or you can replace CMD scripts with something graphical - like WIHU/WPI/XPlode/etc.

If youre looking to replace general batch files, not just the UA application install method, I hate to tell ya, but there isnt any 'easy' way to do this. Youve got to use some other coding like VB or Java script.

Thanks for the many replies!

However, I don't need a CMD replacement, nor do I want to compile my batchfiles. I just want a little tool (which I call from my cmd-file) that is able to receive input from the user and shows it on the screen / push it in a enviromentle variable. Or display a message.

Use WIHU. This will allow the user to input what programs they want installed. You have WIHU call your batch files (or re-code them into WIHU, whichever is easier for you), and it installs.

WIHU is easy to use, and is a great piece of software. It also makes a great program to include as an autorun on your CD. Which means its a great software selection program as well as an unattended tool.

If this type of feature isn't what you want, please explain better. I think many of us are confused about what you actually want. :)

I guess the question is what exactly do you plan on using this for? If youre referring to simply replacing the runonceex / guirunonce stage with something that allows for the user interaction you talking about, then use what a couple of these guys are referring to... WIHU or WPI, they do exactly that.

If youre talking just any batch file in general, I guess another question would be, does it have to be a "GUI" interface? You can easily make menus with batch files that would allow the user to launch any other batch files you want... that would probably be the easiest solution to what youre looking for if you dont want to stray too far off of batch files...

and holy cow! im over 400 posts! woot!

I just want a little tool (which I call from my cmd-file) that is able to receive input from the user and shows it on the screen / push it in a enviromentle variable. Or display a message.
VBscript is perfectly suited for this. If you want to proceed on that, or want code snippets, please tell what purpose its for and I could whip one up.

I have used (mind you that I am NO programmer) this nifty little tool here:

The Wizard's Apprentice

http://wizapp.sourceforge.net/

the exe file is only 70 Kb

Though it is aimed as a GUI overlay for batch install routines, it has enough options available to be used as a GUI to ANY batch file.

See here the example I made:

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...ts/VDM/vdm.html

jaclaz