T13 - Map Network Drive

I appologise if this has been covered, and if it has please point me in the right direction but i couldn't find it via searching.

What I am trying to acheive is this:-

1. Runs cmdlines.txt from the CD at T-13 or12 (not sure which)

2. Which runs RunOnceEx.cmd from the CD

3. Which Runs a VBscript to map a network drive

4. Then the RunOnceEx.cmd runs another instance of RunOnceEx.cmd which is located on the newly mapped drive

5. The RunOnceEx reg entries are set by the networked copy, and they install the required software to complete my unattended install, at next logon.

The idea is I can have a CD that I never have to change, and I can alter the network version of the RunOnceEx.cmd to make any software changes.

The problem is at stage 3. The VBscript doesn't appear to apply, even though it works perfectly from windows!!

Has anyone succeeded in doing what I am describing, or have any knowledge on mapping network drives at this stage of the install procedure??

Cheers for your help

Mark

Ive had issues with using vbscript during the runonceex stage... the cause of this, from what I understand, is that certain "components" of windows that are needed for vbscripts to run, still havent been loaded at the very beginning of the runonceex process...

Ive found that if you give the system roughly 30-45 seconds before trying to run your vbscript it runs without issue. oh.. and dont use the sleep cmd or anything in a vbscript.. use a batch file or the sleep.exe on the unattended download section

• 1 year later...

net use x: \\MachineX\SharedFolderX password

You can replace password by * to force to ask password during the mapping ...

But with net use /? you have all settings. In unattended setup the /Persistent:no switch allow to not save the mapped drive on next reboot

• 6 months later...

OK I might be being dense here but how can I set up my Z drive to ALWAYS be mapped to \\Diskstation\Private ??

If I do that I can have a CD install and call an install routine from my external NAS drive(s) and not have to rebuil disks every time I change the setup basics. Also makes testing changes easier and means the system can be pre-setup closer to its final state!