Winamp 5.0.8 Msi Release

Alanoll

Hi Alanoll,

I did a search and only found a similiar case in the 5.04 release.

When I open winamp I get this error: (DRMclien.dll)

Untitled-1.jpg

Here is my install line:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0075",1,,"%24%\installs\common\winamp\winamp.msi INI=%24%\installs\common\winamp\Winamp_install.ini /qn"

and my winamp.ini

[SETUP]
Xlibrary=1
Xmodernskin=0
XAUDIO=1
Xregopt=1
XDesktop=0

Any ideas?

]Bonkers[

@]Bonkers[

Did you use nLite or remove WMP in anyway?

It's something related to the WMP codecs and such. It's not a problem with the MSI. Sorry.

Best guess...

extract the file from your XP CD (it SHOULD be there unless you used a program to remove it) and put it in system32

when I create a new user (has admin rights), Winamp has not been set to autoplay audioCDs AND even if I select the checkbox in Winamp Options>Filetypes, after I restart  Winamp the checkbox is unchecked (if I dont restart winamp and just open Options again it is also unchecked).

So this only happens for all newly created users....

the first user, in wich all the programs (RunOnceEX) was installed, doesnt have this problem!! How strange!?

tested again, without modified winamp.ini file, it works fine now, also autoplay cds...

so its not the msi. must be my mistake

EDIT fixed already :)

Thanks for the release of winamp.msi!! Its so much easier to use the MSI than to try and use an AutoIT script...

However I have one question...

When you install winamp using the msi it appears to only create shortcuts under the current user profile. This means when someone else logs onto the machine the shortcuts don't follow. I am wondering if this can be fixed with some sort of option or if I have just missed some msiexec switch..

As a side note I have just ammended my script with a couple of lines to copy the desktop and start menu items across to the "All Users" profile.

The problem is though that the shortcuts actually use an icon resource which is located in the path "C:\Documents And Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer\{556C9B0C-9BAC-48AC-AC3E-41326A4356F8}". This means the icons don't regen when a new user profile is created and you get blank (but usable) shortcuts. This is caused from what I can see because the default icon path is "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Installer\{556C9B0C-9BAC-48AC-AC3E-41326A4356F8}\NewShortcut1_556C9B0C9BAC48ACAC3E41326A4356F8.exe" which evaluates to the original user who installed the program not necessarily the user who is having their profile created. If the current user can't see inside the profile of the user who originally installed the program the blank icons appear.

A fix for this would be to change the installer resource location from "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Installer\{556C9B0C-9BAC-48AC-AC3E-41326A4356F8}" to something like "%SYSTEMROOT%\Installer\{556C9B0C-9BAC-48AC-AC3E-41326A4356F8}" I have noticed that many programs actually take this approach. Maybe you can consider this for a later build of your msi? Or you could be really nice and re-release it with the update!!!"

The workaround for this is just to use a script at the end of the install to move the installer resource and just delete & re-create the icon shortcuts manually but that seems like the hard way around something the installer should be doing right in the first place???

all the original developers of Winamp have left AOL, in november '04, but AOL will still continu to support Winamp, this means new features won't be added but bugs will be fixed!

BTW Alanoll, if I use this regtweak, Winamp will be associated with Autoplay AudioCDs, no need for the user to check the checkbox :)

perhaps it is an idea for the msi? it's not really neccessary, cos everyone who wants it can add this line to his regtweaks.reg file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AudioCD\shell\play\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe\" %1"

"Winamp_Back"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" /prefetch:3 /device:AudioCD \"%L\""

Also, I now know how to remove items in the popup window that appears when you insert a CD, asking you wich program to launch... If you don't use WMP for instance, you can remove it so that for example Winamp is the only choice you can make when you insert an AudioCD :) if someone is interested I'll put them here but it is perhaps bit offtopic here

Now there is a 5.08c FINAL release of winamp, I don't know if you are tired allanoll but they are surely testing your patience with all those constant winamp releases. But I guess this time it is final, I hope. Do you plan on redoing the msi or do you say f*ck off? :)

Hi Alanoll (or others)

I am trying desperately to use a relativ path for the winamp.ini but it does not work not matter what I try.

The msi and the winamp.ini are in the same directory and my batch file should look something like this:

start /wait .\Winamp.msi /qb ini=".\winamp.ini"

Winamp.msi is found but the winamp.ini file isn´t found by the msi. I tried all kinds of combinations like ini =winamp.ini, ini=\winamp.ini, ini=.\winamp.ini, etc. etc. but nothing works.

Why do we have to use absolute paths here ? The problem with absolute paths is that I have to adapt the batch file calling it depending on where the folder is ( my harddisk, CD etc.) and I would really like to avoid this.

I did a search for "relative paths" on this forum but nothing really useful came up. I did come up with a post from you where you used a variable called %SETUPDIR% but it did not work here.

There must be a solution to tell the msi where the ini is using relativ paths, no ? :unsure:

Please help !

Thanks,

Alex