Win98 Resource Kit

cyberthug

http://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7089 (Some of the links added by me)

FileZilla Client:

Windows 95C - last working Filezilla 2.2.18 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_filezilla/667/

Windows 98/SE/ME - last working Filezilla 2.2.22 - http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/FileZilla%20Portable/Portable%20FileZilla%202.2.22/

Windows 2000 - last official working version is 3.0.11.1 - http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/FileZilla_Client/3.0.11.1/

The current versions up to 3.5.3 seem to work fine on Windows 2000, but only basic functionality has been tested.

If FileZilla freezes itself or even the OS right after the start, you must disable automatic updates. See http://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?p=51733#p51733 . I recommend to disable automatic updates via an fzdefaults.xml file. You can either create your own, see the fzdefaults.xml.example file that got installed with FileZilla, or use the one I've attached to this post (dump the file into the program directory of FileZilla).

As FileZilla 2.2.32 seems to have disappeared from the Sourceforge list, here the download link for anyone still needing it:

http://download.filezilla-project.org/legacy/FileZilla_2_2_32_setup.exe (only transition to v3 supported)

http://download.filezilla-project.org/legacy/FileZilla_2_2_32_src.zip

Legacy version, don't ask for support on the forums, you are on your own. Don't blame us if you run into problems.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

My previous question stands. Any idea where I might be able to download the "missing" files that were available with the book?
Nope - note those particular ones. I believe they might also be on the VS6 (?) CD's as well. See this (April 2001 - even more different sizes).

Just out of curiosity, do you expect that "more info" will be in the MSDN 2001 set(s)? I have access to the MSDN Oct 2001 but, why bother?

edit - MSDN Library Wiki

Edited by submix8c

I believe they might also be on the VS6 (?) CD's as well.
No. I checked the folders \MSDN\ on "MSDN Library - Visual Studio 6.0a CD1 DN60AENU1.iso" and "MSDN Library - Visual Studio 6.0a CD2 DN60AENU2.iso", they do not contain RK98BOOK.CHM.
See this (April 2001 - even more different sizes).
I don't have the April 2001 CD, the link indicates that the April 2001 CD contains a 3rd version of RK98BOOK.CHM:

File : RK98BOOK.CHM

Path : %programfiles%\microsoft visual studio\msdn\2001apr\1033

MD5 : e1ccf4df50490415b1d3f724f7fb1f6d - (3223224 Bytes)

RK98BOOK.CHM on the Book CD and from the TechNet server: 3,255,721 bytes, modification date: 30-Apr-1998, MD5: F456ECDE435F6324C8FF69D3630FB508

RK98BOOK.CHM from the MSDN Library October 2001 CD: 3,223,414 bytes, modification date: 28-Aug-2001, MD5: 67BC6DCFA957BAC9564569E53FA19E97

Just out of curiosity, do you expect that "more info" will be in the MSDN 2001 set(s)? I have access to the MSDN Oct 2001 but, why bother?
I like the version from the MSDN 2001 CD better, same info but better handling. Here an excerpt of my posting #31:
I know of 2 versions of the eBook file:

- RK98BOOK.CHM, 3,255,721 bytes of 30-Apr-1998 (on the WIn98FE CD, on the Win98SE CDs and on the book CD of the book)

- rk98book.chm, 3,223,414 bytes of 28-Aug-2001, together with another file rk98book.chi (24,732 bytes), on the MSDN Library October 2001 CD

Both versions have an identical content, both versions are missing the 88-page index of the printed book. The version on the MSDN Library October 2001 CD, however, is preferrable, it contains 2 extra tabs (Index and Favorites), and several additional buttons. The Locate buttons displays in which chapter you are and the Print button has a better selection of what to print.

Edited by Multibooter

There is a List of Documentation Errors in Windows 98 Resource Kit at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188307

I checked 2 of these corrections (for p.599, p.626) against the latest version of RK98BOOK.CHM (on the MSDN Library October 2001 CD), the errors were not corrected in the latest version of RK98BOOK.CHM.

MS apparently did not update the content of RK98BOOK.CHM, only improved the handling in the MSDN version. I couldn't find the corresponding page numbers in the .chm file, so this kb188307 is of use only when used together with the printed book.

I cannot print this article kb188307 properly, the only easy way to have a hard-copy of it may be to copy and paste the text from the browser window into another application. Any better suggestions?

Edited by Multibooter

You mean print it like this?

CD-ROM: ReadMe.doc Contains Incorrect File Reference

In the Readme file on this CD, the instructions to install the Internet Explorer Profile Manager point to the \Reskit\Netadmin\Profmgr directory. The Reskit folder does not exist on the CD-ROM. The correct path is \netadmin\profmgr.

Page 53: To Perform a New Installation from the Windows 98 Compact Disc

Book Online: To Perform a New Installation from the Windows 98 Compact Disc

Step 1 reads:

Insert a Windows 98 Startup Disk in the CD-ROM drive.

Step 1 should read:

Insert a Windows 98 Startup disk in the floppy disk drive.

Page 194: Table 5.7: Msdos.sys Entries

Book Online: Table 5.7: Msdos.sys Entries

Includes a number of typographical errors, such as misplaced commas, and word repetition (for example, "Windows 98Windows 98").

Page 204: Windows 98 Setup with Other Operating Systems

Book Online: Windows 98 Setup with Other Operating Systems

The first sentence of the second paragraph reads:

Microsoft Windows 98 dual-boot is supported with Windows NT, Windows 95 and MS-DOS 5.x.

This should read:

Microsoft Windows 98 dual-boot is supported with Windows NT, Windows 3.1x, and MS-DOS 5.x or later. For more information, see Chapter 2, "Deciding Whether to Dual Boot Windows 98."

Page 210: To Set Up Dual-Boot Capabilities...

Book Online: To Set Up Dual-Boot Capabilities...

Step 4 reads:

Mark the .dos files in the root directory of the boot drive with the hidden, system, and read-only attributes (attrib -r -s -h *.dos).

Step 4 should read:

Mark the .dos files in the root directory of the boot drive with the hidden, system, and read-only attributes (attrib +r +s +h *.dos).

Page 300: The Desktop.htt File

Book Online: The Desktop.htt File

The Desktop.htt file is listed incorrectly as Desktop.htm in the Active Desktop section. It is also listed incorrectly as Desktop.htm on page 1692 in the Index.

Page 336: Restricting Access to Computer-Specific Settings

Book Online: Restricting Access to Computer-Specific Settings

On page 336, under the section "Restricting Access to Computer-Specific Settings", the contents of subsections "Restricting Access to Network Settings", "Restricting Access to Shell Settings", and "Restricting Access to System Settings" are for user-specific, not computer-specific, settings. These subsections should be moved to the section "Restricting Access to User-Specific Settings" on page 342.

Page 375: To Install System Policy Editor

Book Online: To Install System Policy Editor

The installation path for System Policy Editor is incorrect. The correct path is:

Drive:\Tools\Reskit\NetAdmin\Poledit

Page 400: Cluster Sizes of FAT16 and FAT32

Book Online: Cluster Sizes of FAT16 and FAT32

The last entry in the FAT32 column of Table 10.1, "FAT16 and FAT32 Comparison," reads:

FAT32 cluster sizes are 4 KB (drives less than 800 MB).

This should read:

4 KB clusters can be used on drives less than or equal to 8 gigabytes (GB).

Page 425: Disabling the screen saver during defrag

Page 425 provides incorrect instructions for disabling the screen saver during defrag. The correct instructions are provided in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

229057 Correct Instructions for Disabling Screen Saver During Defrag.exe

Page 562: Installing Microsoft WebTV for Windows 98

Book Online: Installing Microsoft WebTV for Windows 98

The first procedure heading reads:

To install PrintServer Software for Windows 98

This should read:

To install Microsoft WebTV for Windows 98

Page 599: Configuring IP Addresses

Book Online: Configuring IP Addresses

On page 599, paragraph 3 refers to the 10.100 range as a class B address. This is incorrect. As described on page 598, the first octet of a Class B IP address must be in the inclusive range [128-191].

Change:

To:

Page 626: Technical Notes on TCP/IP

Book Online: Technical Notes on TCP/IP

Windows 98 supports selective acknowledgements as documented by Request for Comment (RFC) 2018. The registry key for the SackOpts string value reads:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters

This should read:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

Page 716: Supporting Pass-Through Security for Peer Resource Sharing

Book Online: Supporting Pass-Through Security for Peer Resource Sharing

This section reads:

If computers running Windows 98 will be providing File and Printer Sharing Services for NetWare networks, then the NetWare server providing access validation can be configured with a special WINDOWS_PASSTHRU account. This Special account is used to support pass-through validation for user level security. It is not necessary for users who already have an account on that server.

This statement is incorrect. A WINDOWS_PASSTHRU account is not needed as long as the person logging on to the server has an account.

Page 834: Using File and Printer Sharing for NetWare Netowrks

Book Online: Using File and Printer Sharing for NetWare Networks

This section reads:

For Pass-through validation when user-level security is enabled, there must be a Windows_Passthru account (with no password) on the NetWare server that is used as the security provider.

This statement is incorrect. A WINDOWS_PASSTHRU account is not needed as long as the person logging on to the server has an account.

Page 1023: Unimodem V

Book Online: Unimodem V

The second bulleted item should read "Spartacom modem pooling," not "Sparacom modem pooling."

Page 1278: More Information about Version Conflict Manager

Book Online: More Information about Version Conflict Manager

The fourth bulleted item reads:

When VCM restores an older file...

This should read:

When VCM restores a newer file...

Page 1437: Overview of the Windows 98 Registry

Book Online: Overview of the Windows 98 Registry

The first sentence in the first paragraph reads:

To properly manage resources, such as Internet requests (IRQs)...

This sentence should read:

To properly manage resources, such as interrupt requests (IRQs)...

Page 1511: To Change the Code Page Used for MS-DOS-Based Applications

Book Online: To Change the Code Page Used for MS-DOS-Based Applications

On pages 1511 and 1512, Appendix A, in the section titled "Changing the Code Page," all references to the Changecp.exe utility should be replaced by Chdoscp.exe. Changecp.exe is the name of the utility to change the MS-DOS code page in the Windows 95 Resource Kit. Chdoscp.exe is the name of the utility to change the MS-DOS code page in the Windows 98 Resource Kit.

Page 1528: The Ebd.cab File

Book Online: The Ebd.cab File

Uninstal.exe should not be listed. This file is not in the Ebd.cab file. Depending on your computer's configuration, the Uninstal.exe file may be located in the Windows\Command folder.

Page 1529: Contents of the Windows 98 Startup Disk

Book Online: Contents of the Windows 98 Startup Disk

The table contains some errors. The correct entries are:

File Function

--------------------------------------------

Aspi2dos.sys Adaptec SCSI adapter driver

Aspi4dos.sys Adaptec SCSI adapter driver

Aspi8dos.sys Adaptec SCSI adapter driver

Aspi8u2dos.sys Adaptec SCSI adapter driver

Page 1626-1627: Appendix H: Accessibilities

The screen shots for Mouse properties are incorrect. These properties are displayed only if the IntelliPoint software is installed and are not provided if it is not present. Standard Mouse properties should be displayed.

I only copied the key parts and it could still be cleaned up a LOT, MS web pages are notoriously inefficient and have been for 15 years, it was probably done with Word, but that should do for now.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Any idea where I might be able to download the "missing" files that were available with the book?
The version of the Win98 Resource Kit tools on the TechNet server is a different version from the tools on the Book CD., as I stated in my posting #32
SETUP\RESKIT.INF [reskit.inf was apparently fixed by MS for deleted files

The missing files are those where the corresponding entry has also been deleted from RESKIT.INF.

The main improvement of the TechNet version of the apps vs the Book CD version is probably:

TMC\WIN98TMC.DLL [the DLL on the server is v1.1.02 of 14-Jan-1999, the DLL on the book CD is v1.0.0.1 of 29-Apr-1998]

I would speculate that the newer version of WIN98TMC.DLL is a bugfix for the problem mentioned here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1030677085

Here a good link about the Tools Management Console (TMC): http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/start-146.html

The most comprehensive, updated unofficial compilation of the Win98 Resource Kit CD could be the Book CD version, with WIN98TMC.DLL from the TechNet server and RKWIN98.CHM + RKWIN98.CHI from the MSDN October 2001 CD. But first it would have to be cleared up why so much stuff was removed from the TechNet server version, maybe that stuff works under Win98FE but not under Win98SE. Could it be that the TechNet server version of the Resource Kit was intended for Win98SE, so that there are 2 different Windows 98 Resource Kits, one for Win98FE, the other for Win98SE? Are there any beta versions of the Win98 Resource Kit (apps + .chm), e.g. on TechNet CDs?

The following lines are in RESKIT.INF on the Book CD, but NOT in RESKIT.INF of the TechNet server version:

"filewise.exe"= 1, DIAGNOSE\filewise.exe,,,COPY,1998-04-15,,,,,,,,,SHARED,825917,SYSTEM,,,,

"tmctkpad.dll"= 1, TMC\tmctkpad.dll,,,COPY,1998-04-11,,,,,,,,,SHARED,27648,SYSTEM,,,,

"console.gif"= 1, TMC\console.gif,,,COPY,1997-09-08,,,,,,,,,SHARED,1028,SYSTEM,,,,

"service.gif"= 1, TMC\service.gif,,,COPY,1997-09-08,,,,,,,,,SHARED,1131,SYSTEM,,,,

"html.gif"= 1, TMC\html.gif,,,COPY,1997-09-08,,,,,,,,,SHARED,1081,SYSTEM,,,,

"help.gif"= 1, TMC\help.gif,,,COPY,1997-09-08,,,,,,,,,SHARED,1126,SYSTEM,,,,

"gui.gif"= 1, TMC\gui.gif,,,COPY,1997-09-08,,,,,,,,,SHARED,1082,SYSTEM,,,,

"document.gif"= 1, TMC\document.gif,,,COPY,1997-09-08,,,,,,,,,SHARED,1149,SYSTEM,,,,

"pc32.gif"= 1, TMC\pc32.gif,,,COPY,1997-06-03,,,,,,,,,SHARED,294,SYSTEM,,,,

"NTdisk.gif"= 1, TMC\NTdisk.gif,,,COPY,1997-06-03,,,,,,,,,SHARED,4591,SYSTEM,,,,

"NTtile.gif"= 1, TMC\NTtile.gif,,,COPY,1997-03-13,,,,,,,,,SHARED,3733,SYSTEM,,,,

"HELPBOOK.GIF"= 1, TMC\HELPBOOK.GIF,,,COPY,1998-01-07,,,,,,,,,SHARED,156,SYSTEM,,,,

"access.htm"= 1, TMC\access.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,2404,SYSTEM,,,,

"config.htm"= 1, TMC\config.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,10952,SYSTEM,,,,

"deploy.htm"= 1, TMC\deploy.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,9178,SYSTEM,,,,

"desktop.htm"= 1, TMC\desktop.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,14678,SYSTEM,,,,

"dxtshoot.htm"= 1, TMC\dxtshoot.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,20297,SYSTEM,,,,

"filetool.htm"= 1, TMC\filetool.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,24351,SYSTEM,,,,

"netadmin.htm"= 1, TMC\netadmin.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,11968,SYSTEM,,,,

"perform.htm"= 1, TMC\perform.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,2385,SYSTEM,,,,

"powertoy.htm"= 1, TMC\powertoy.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,3561,SYSTEM,,,,

"regtool.htm"= 1, TMC\regtool.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,6640,SYSTEM,,,,

"scriptol.htm"= 1, TMC\scriptol.htm,,,COPY,1998-04-30,,,,,,,,,SHARED,17468,SYSTEM,,,,

Edited by Multibooter

Hi bphlpt,

Thanks for the link. If have downloaded, like you did, 2382 files in 91 folders, from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ with FileZilla v3.5.3 under WinXP, very smooth, no issues, except for the folder dates mention below under 3)

When I tried to download the same site with Portable FileZilla v2.2.22 under WinSE, several issues were encountered:

1) 2 files (and their 2 folders) were not downloaded from the ftp site, without a message, or at least I didn't see the message, that I had an incomplete download

2) 1 file was downloaded incomplete, only 11MB out of 31MB, maybe because of timeout, but again no easily seen message

3) the folder dates were that of the download date, not the date on the server (same issue with v3.5.3 under WinXP)

4) because v2.2.22 has a central concept "the queue", instead of the download/upload, there is a little learning curve. For example, to download the 2382 files in 162MB, you had to right-click on "Reskit" -> Download 4 times, and wait a minute or two in between, until the queue fills up with entries, and until the download actually started. I initially had thought that FileZilla somehow wouldn't download at all.

5) then first attempt to download with FileZilla v2.2.22 under Win98SE produced 2380 files in 140MB, 2 files missing. 1 file truncated/incorrect, 2 folders missing. Subsequent download attempts obtained much less, may be 80MB. I had the same experience wwhen downloading with Flashget v1.72 under both Win98 and WinXP, that the first download attempt got a lot of files, subsequent download attempts much less. Maybe the MS server somehow blacklists or bumps off subsequent downloads after too many errors.

I am currently making my last attempt to download the MS FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ under Win98SE with Beyond Compare v2.5.3, which has an FTP capability, is more or less recent (14-Jul-2008) and can compare/copy,etc an FTP site and the local HDD or another FTP site. Unfortunately, Beyond Compare is very slow under FTP, only 1 thread is possible and I have set the timeout to 20 minutes for each file, so basically it's an overnight job with this unruly MS site.

The MS FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ can serve as a test case of FTP software under WIn98SE. I suspect that there exists no FTP software under Win98SE which can transfer correctly twice in a row this FTP site. Please try this test with your FTP software! Maybe a software can be found which can download properly under Win98SE. MS may have made their FTP server software incompatible with FTP client software run under Win98 (Unicode?).

Edited by Multibooter

... FileZilla v3.5.3 under WinXP, very smooth, no issues, except for the folder dates mention below under 3)

3) the folder dates were that of the download date, not the date on the server (same issue with v3.5.3 under WinXP)

This should not be a problem. There is an option for this, along the top menu bar click "Transfer" "Preserve timestamps of transferred files". Why this is not enabled as default I don't know.

Cheers and Regards

... FileZilla v3.5.3 under WinXP, very smooth, no issues, except for the folder dates mention below under 3)

This should not be a problem. There is an option for this, along the top menu bar click "Transfer" "Preserve timestamps of transferred files". Why this is not enabled as default I don't know.

This setting works Ok with files dates, but not with folders dates. Beyond Compare, as an example, with regular copying just from HDD to HDD (i.e. not from an FTP site) copies folder dates exactly as in the source under WinXP; under Win98, however, Beyond Compare sets the date of the target folders to the current date, not to the date of the source folders.

WinME, FileZilla 2.2.22 -> 2382 files in 91 folders totaling 170,022,244 bytes

Not too sure what your problem is multibooter. :huh:

Could someone confirm that FileZilla v2.2.22 works Ok under Win98SE? Under Win98SE I don't have KernelEx installed, Internet Explorer v6.0.2600.0000 is installed and I have used Portable FileZilla v2.2.22 (as quoted/suggested by bphlpt in posting #46). Could it be that some of the FTP functionality is related to the DLLs of Internet Explorer? David Karp, in his book "Windows Me Annoyances" states: "Windows Me and Windows 2000 appear to be the first versions of Windows to offer a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) that is GUI-based, instead of text (command-line) based" (p.8), so there may be differences between how FTP software works under Win98SE and WinME.

@loblo: Did you repeat the download, e.g. within 30 minutes? Want struck me was that the 1st download attempt went nearly Ok, subsequent download attempts immediately after the 1st download produced miserable results.

BTW, Beyond Compare v2.5.3 under Win98SE has been working on the download for over 12 hours and is currently about 2/3s finished. I have a cable modem connection. I had changed the time-out setting to 20 minutes, Beyond Compare apparently does not resume partial downloads and does not support parallel download threads. I have received the following messages by Beyond Compare up to now:

Error copying AUTO2.IW: Read Timeout

Error copying PROGRAM.Z: Read Timeout

Error copying TUTORIAL.Z: Read Timeout

Error copying NSPLAY.EXE: Read Timeout

Error copying DRREN100.ASF: Read Timeout

Error copying DRREN1MB.ASF: Read Timeout

Error copying DIRE288.ASF: Socket Error # 10054

Connection reset by peer.

Error copying AFRICAT1_96K44100S.ASF: Read Timeout

Error copying STEM288.ASF: Read Timeout

Error copying LOV1248.ASF: Read Timeout

Error copying GETSTART.GIF: Read Timeout

Error copying NETS0045.HTM: Read Timeout

Error copying NETS0167.HTM: Read Timeout

Error copying NETS0589.HTM: Read Timeout

Error copying NETS0590.HTM: Read Timeout

Error copying NM20RK.EXE: Read Timeout

Error copying MSVBVM50.DL_: Read Timeout

Edited by Multibooter

JEEZ, dude!

Loblo has no problem with FileZilla (which I have NEVER used)...

I have no problem with V1.73 (NOT v1.72) of FlashGet (which you apparently refuse to use). And it DOES NOT use ANY of the FTP software from the OS... IT USES IT'S OWN CODE!!!

How about I attach a complete list of folder/file/date/size and you just get what's missing? Why are you making this such a chore???

edit - attaching a zipped list - last 2 columns are MD5 / SHA-1

Reskit_Index.zip

Edited by submix8c

I have no problem with V1.73 (NOT v1.72) of FlashGet (which you apparently refuse to use)... Why are you making this such a chore???
Uninstalling Flashget v1.72 is a major undertaking for me, because possibly "Opera Plug-In for FlashGet v1.1" and FlashGot [passes downloads in my setup from Firefox to FlashGet} may not work anymore. Everything works for me like a champ under various browsers, except for this FTP issue.
How about I attach a complete list of folder/file/date/size and you just get what's missing?
No thanks, I got all the files downloaded Ok with FileZilla v3.5.3 under WinXP, I just want to get the FTP issue cleared up. It can exclude a hardware problem, e.g. router, because FileZilla v3.5.3 under WinXP worked fine on the same hardware.

'K... but already attached the list...

FYI - didn't I suggest FlashGot Add-On? That's what I use in FireFox. Works fine...

And point of interest - the v1.72 is the same as v1.73 except without "bugfixes" (probably what you'd been encountering). The v1.8x and up is where "radical changes" happened. ;)

edit - The Add-Ons could care less about the Version, as long as they can "hook" the FlashGet program(s) - the FOLDER name and FILE names remain the same. You DID notice that the FlashGet program initiates, right? IOW, I had "upgraded" from v1.72 to v1.73 painlessly. :)

Edited by submix8c

edit - attaching a zipped list - last 2 columns are MD5 / SHA-1
Hi submix8c,

Thanks for the upload.

Am I right too assume that you made that listing under WinXP? The folder and file dates have as year 4 digits, e.g. :

CDSETUP.EXE EXE 1,833,984 6/8/1998 00:00

while under Win98 the years are usually displayed as 2 digits only? Did you make the successful download with Flashget v1.73 under WinXP or under Win98SE?

The hours and minutes on your listing are 00:00, but that's not that important. Thanks again.

FYI - didn't I suggest FlashGot Add-On? That's what I use in FireFox. Works fine...
My setup of Flashget is integrated not just with Firefox, but also with Opera, so it's probably a project to change from Flashget v1.72 to v1.73. I am using for the integration of Flashget into Opera a really ancient Opera plug-in, "Opera Plug-In for FlashGet v1.1" by Amazesoft of 12-Dec-2001, which was never intended to work with Opera v9.64 of 26-Feb-2009. I hate to disturb my working setup. I am using under Win98 also K-Meleon, but I was not able to integrate Flashget into K-Meleon, which uses its built-in download manager. I have not installed this ancient Flashget plug-in on my dual-core desktop which has IE 5.5 under Win98SE, because the "Opera Plug-In for FlashGet v1.1" may cause problems with IE 5.5, but not with IE 6.0, which I have installed on my 11-year-old-laptop.

For Firefox I am using FlashGOt v1.2.2, I never got around to update, and when the FlashGot window comes up, I have the choice to download with Flashget or FlashGot. Flashget saves files and folders with server dates, Flashget doesn't, so I am using most of the time Flashget via FlashGot in Firefox.

Eventually I will test whether the ancient "Opera Plug-In for FlashGet v1.1" [=click-catcher] would work with FlashGet v1.73, Firefox via FlashGot and Opera, under Win98SE and WinXP. This plug-in is a really nice little tool and is a major reason why I still use Flashget. It can be downloaded from the web archive at http://web.archive.org/web/20070320180400/http://www.amazesoft.com/npfg11.exe but again, is a headache to install properly. Here some info: http://web.archive.org/web/20061231013432/http://www.flashget.com/en/browser.htm

Edited by Multibooter