getting new mobo, do i have to reinstall winxp...

ceez

ok so i have this need to buy a faster mobo/cpu combo but I DO NOT have the need to reinstall winxp after I get the combo. If I connect the hd to a new mobo will winxp boot without a prob, considering there are new mobo drivers that will need to be installed.

I guess the question is: can I buy a new mobo/cpu and connect my ide hd to the mobo without the need to format.

thkz! :)

ceez

IF the IDe controller differs you may not beable to boot into windows.

IF the chipset and onboard features differ from the original, you will most likly get some serious issues running windows stably.

I would reccomend atleast repairing if not reinstalling

|Drew|

well the moment u're going to put in your new mobo xp will have to find all devices and find drivers for all devices and I had done it once, it takes A LOT OF time and say xp could have found the drivers for itself when u were installing xp, but with this method u sometimes need to define paths for drivers and etc.

I would definitely repair, which means boot with xp cd install xp like normal, its going to search for previous installs and ask u what to do with it, press repair or reinstall i don't remember but don't confuse it with the repair option which goes into dos-like thingy.

Oh yes, whenever I attach a WinXP HD to some other system than its own, it shows the boot screen, then quickly flashes a blue screen of death - so fast that its only a glimpse - and reboots.

This never happens w/ Win98. Why is it so?

Its because when the BIOS disk call's are passed to the Windows driver, there is no driver availiable for the IDE controller. It probably flashes INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Since there is no active driver for your IDE controller it can't read the boot device. You can try this procedure if you get the error:

from: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/ot...rd/problems.htm

IBD Solution 4: Delete Drivers using Recovery Console:

1) Open the Recovery Console and type LISTSVC. A list of drivers loaded on startup will be displayed.

2) Locate the IDE drivers and type DISABLE name.ext (where name.ext is the driver name and extension).

3) Once the IDE drivers are disabled, exit and reboot. On reboot, Win2k will load the standard default IDE driver and should startup.