recently displayed

misskellibad1

When I was running 98, or me (I forget which one), I had the option of not displaying the recent documents on the start menu. (maybe through tweak ui?) Now with xp, using the classic start, I don't have that option. Is there another way I can do this, without having to clear them all the time?

Thanks. :) BTW, I have tweak for xp, and I don't see that listed there.

Hi Misskelli,

Easy to do.Go to your control panel choose task bar and start menu then click the start menu tab,then choose customize,then clickthe advance tab and you will see a box at the bottom left that says "list my most recent documents",uncheck it then ok everything and apply,voila,no more my recent docs.

Kelli are you using XP Pro or Home Edition?

If you are using Pro.

Go Start > Run. Type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) and press enter.

In the Group Policy window look in the left hand pane and under "user configuration" expand the Administrative templates tree by clicking on the + sign.

Click on Start Menu and Taskbar.In the right hand pane look for "Do not keep history of recently opened documents".Double click it and in the new window that opens put a dot next to Enabled.Then click apply.Close all the windows.Job done.

From your next reboot recent documents will no longer be listed.

Yes LS, that's what I want to do, but using the classic start menu has left that option unavailable to me. I was wondering if there was some other way around it, besides switching back to the xp start menu.

Thanks for the help, this one has me stumped! :)

Here ya go.

And if that doesn't work, copy and paste the following into notepad. Save as a .reg file. After you save it, double-click to merge. Click "Yes" when prompted. It's quite safe. i copied it from my own registry.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-842925246-436374069-1060284298-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"MaxRecentDocs"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"MaxRecentDocs"=dword:00000000

Good spot Pia,you beat me to it. :bigok

Kelli,

Download TweakUI for Windows XP. here

Run the install,then open the program.

In the left hand pane click on "Explorer".In the right hand pane menu uncheck Allow Recent Documents on Start Menu.Click apply.Reboot for the changes to take effect.