"ticking" computer

sven

ok, so i found a nice computer in the trash (hey, all i use is pentium 1 here, so its worth the try), and when i start it up, all it does to make the fans start and stop, like a clock ticks. im sure theres power passing through the machine, because the light inside is on all the time when plugged in. also, the light in front turn on and off blinking, when on, the fan runs, when off, the fan stops. any ideas?

no, its not a pentium 1, i believe its a 3. its cuz i found it in the garbage :rolleyes: , and it looked alot better then teh pentium ones we have here already

the fans shouldnt run if its off lol :wacko:

they dont run when its off, when i turn it on, they start to do the ticking thing

ps. GH, im keeping the parts for me :P

no, its not a pentium 1, i believe its a 3.  its cuz i found it in the garbage :rolleyes: , and it looked alot better then teh pentium ones we have here already
the fans shouldnt run if its off lol :wacko:

they dont run when its off, when i turn it on, they start to do the ticking thing

ps. GH, im keeping the parts for me :P

K well then replace the power suply, if its still no dice from there you got a BAd Mobo.

I have a few lying around if you want one for cheep

|Drew|

when i start it up, all it does to make the fans start and stop, like a clock ticks.

Hold on... Ever thought of there being a BOMB somewhere in there... :wacko: Throw it away!! :w00t:

uh oh, i never thought of my neightbor as a terrorist!!!!!, maybe you can come check it out for me gamehead, and get it running. if it blows up... its not that big a loss :lol:

@Drew ill try replacing the power source, but i dont think its that becasue the light on the mobo (that little green light inside thats always on when the pc is plugged in) is staying completely lit, no change in it at all. must be a mobo problem

@Drew ill try replacing the power source, but i dont think its that becasue the light on the mobo (that little green light inside thats always on when the pc is plugged in)  is staying completely lit, no change in it at all.  must be a mobo problem

Possibilities:

- Broken video card...

- Corrupted BIOS...

- Broken mobo...

- Not enough power being sent to the mobo...

When you turn it on, does it beep?

If its a Pentium (what's the Pentium 1? Did anybody know there'd be a 2 to follow! lolz) you don't need to waste time on it. Also try changing components with other systems, so you can find out which one is bad.

However I wouldn't recommend even doing that, since all your other systems are very old, and tinkering with these old men most of the times have them losing display (no POST) and other problems consuming lots of time. If you've got a newer system, then do it.

Also, by your description, its got an ATX supply. ATX supplies once switch on when plugged in, then turn off (the mobo is always powered on, OK. Else how would it send the signal to the PSU to turn the relay on.). So if you mean that when you insert in the plug the fans rotate about a quarter-rotation and then the power goes of but the LED remains on it is OK. That's no extraordinary behaviour.

The extraordinary behaviour is that is isn't POSTing.

P.S: You could find even better computers in trash if you're in Canada (I think that the flag shows) +if you try of course. We here in Pakistan are having older Pentium II and III machines by the trailer (=that big 40 ft. container truck) every month, and they are all going very popular, since the only investment in them are shipping charges. Otherwise they are very free of cost.

@gamehead no, it doesn't beep when turned on, ull have to come here and check it out.

I dont think im going to ship them from Pakistan, ill just take the parts out of this one if it doesn't work.