HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@fdv

The problem i had with IE6 and W2K was that files were not being copied in the initial phase, and that setup would ask for two files later in the setup.

The thing was done on vmware 4.0 box, and this has since been destroyed. I am fixing to do a new build tomorrow.

On the main, i have been very impressed with the joint projects.

I am not a big IE fan either, but i do develop web pages, and need to look at them under IE, Firefox, OffByOne, Lynx, &c.

Wendy

@Outatouch - The current version slipstreams all of WMP10 (codecs too) with the exception of the WDF components. The first posting this thread says this too. ;). I wasn't planning on integrating drivers. I typically run NLITE on my slipstreamed source, and NLITE can integrate drivers.

@Oleg_II - You can see if hotfixes are installed by (1) visiting windowsupdate or equivalent (2) using HFNETCHK or (3) the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. Personally I like HFNETCHK because it checks file versions. The FAQ sheet has this information. Please read it. Also, for tips on CMD files and whatnot, please review a CMD file that resides in the sourcess\i386\svcpack folder for tips to get the working directories correct. That should help you out. One last thing, FWIW HFSLIP assumes that there isn't any SVCPACK folder in your source folder, and when HFSLIP is run, it creates it's own SVCPACK folder and svcpack.inf file, obliterating any svcpack folder & svcpack.inf file in your source.

@kreative19 - Can you please run a directory listing of the HF folder, zip the file and post it here?

Edited by tommyp

tommyp

Thanks for replying.

I'm not using nLite yet :blushing: Could you tell us what features you are getting rid off with it? Any issues if using the resulting cource on different computers? Just curious, maybe I should try it. I'm satisfied in general with fdv's set of files but I need some features of IE (Help System), use OE and Address Book (haven't found a good prorams for working with completely different languages at the same time) and it takes a lot of time customizing the installation for my needs, so I don't use his set at the moment.

And as I found just now nLite needs Microsoft .NET Framework, that you don't include in the script :)

Best regards,

Oleg 2

On my home machine, I run a heavily reduced source. I typically run NLITE to reduce the source, then I run custom crafted cmd files to reduce the source even more. My i386 folder is about 115 meg (with the latest NLITE release), but with older NLITEs I was able to get 108meg, and that's with IE6/DX9C HFSLIP'd. It's lightning fast and puts XP to shame. I love it. The bad part is exactly what you mention with framework, but NLITE has a separate DL for just the select binaries that NLITE needs. Usually once I run NLITE, I do a reinstall a few hours after that. Installation time for me is 15 minutes with all my programs, all unattended and click free. Just remember, each NLITE setting depends on what you plan on running on the machine. So each person needs a different setting. On a sidenote, if I were to run an alternate method for installing without HFSLIPping the source, my SVCPACK folder would be larger than all the binaries in the I386 folder. I prefer a smaller and more compact source, thus the reason why HFSLIP was created. ;)

WOW! Interesting! I defenitely should try it some day. Thank you very much for this info. I found the Alternative Runtimes and I understand now why it is not necessary to install .NET Framework.

Best regards,

Oleg 2

I'm using an HFSLIPPED version of Win2K Pro English as my main system now, and am experiencing the following three problems which I've never had before (with a slipstreamed Win2K Pro SP4, manually updated)...

1) In both the Administrator account and the Power User account, when I go to "Save for web" in Photoshop 7, I get the window with the title bar but there's nothing displayed in the window (all gray). Only after a couple of seconds does the content of the Save for web window show. When closing that window later on, every item in it is removed one by one and then (after about 5 seconds) the window closes.

2) In the Power User account, I have my desktop in a different place on a different hard drive. Whenever I want to save a document and click the Desktop icon in the Places Bar, it takes two seconds before the Save As dialog switches to the Desktop folder. Other folders (places) are fine.

3) I'm trying out Skype for the first time. I've installed two different versions so far (the latest and one I got from a friend). In the Administrator account, when I scroll up or down that scrollable area, both versions of Skype freeze and use 100% of the CPU resources.

Edited by Tomcat76

@Outatouch - The current version slipstreams all of WMP10 (codecs too) with the exception of the WDF components.  The first posting this thread says this too.  ;).   

ROFLMAO :w00t:

the first post and the instructions has said it slipstreams wmp10 since I got here. Im glad to hear its finally true!! :P

I LOVE HFSLIP !!!!

If I can get it to work anyone, with the ability to READ, can do it.

@Oleg_II - wanted to address 3 things. i am about to upload a newer fileset for IE removal that:

1. will solve slow bootups when using my files

2. will allow easy installation of the Help System (or, as always, preventing it from installing)

3. will allow easy installation of Outlook and WAB (again, you can easily prevent it from installing)

In general... I will say nLite is fantastic and I recommend it to all users, but it doesn't gut the registry's IE, DHTML, Fax, and other hundreds of useless keys, and my files do remove a few more IE-releated files. Not a competition thing, but my fileset really does accomplish junk removal slightly differently.

Internet Connection Wizard - I'm not surprised you had problems, as with my fileset, it is not installed! My fileset assumes you set things up manually. In other words, you search for the Microsoft DUN (dial up networking) executable (I forget what it's called, is it MSDUN.EXE? can't recall its been so long... try searching for *dun*.exe) and do things manually without use of a Wizard. I did this because the fileset essentially brings Windows 2000 back to the good old days of Windows NT 4 when a "wizard" was something out of a Tolkein novel and not something you found on a computer getting in your way :P:D

The Outlook problem - not sure. how did you install it? 1) using my standalone installer, 2) right clicking on the INF that I created after Windows was installed, or 3) uncommenting the INF file in SYSSETUP and installing it _with_ Windows?

@os2fan - let me know what 2 files via PM if you can recall (were they trivial, like MIDI files or something?) i did not see this and i want to be sure i address it.

@tomcat76 - taking a WILD flying leap guess here. any IE6 install is going to have this save delay from ANY application. Now that IE6 replaces shell files, one of the things it does is check what approved "zone" it is working with and this causes a pause in any application. the other thing that can happen is that if you use my files and you have removed or in any way tinkered with the History folder, explorer takes a long time to try finding it before displaying a desktop mini-icon as a valid save-to location. (Try seeing what I mean by using REGVIEW from systinternals--if History is gone or in ANY way tampered with, Windows wastes a LOT of time trying to call it). Just a thought.

Edited by fdv

@tomcat76 - taking a WILD flying leap guess here. any IE6 install is going to have this save delay from ANY application. Now that IE6 replaces shell files, one of the things it does is check what approved "zone" it is working with and this causes a pause in any application.
Well... I've never experienced this problem before and I've been using IE6 on Win2K ever since I can remember...
the other thing that can happen is that if you use my files and you have removed or in any way tinkered with the History folder, explorer takes a long time to try finding it before displaying a desktop mini-icon as a valid save-to location.
I'm not using your files. I'm not using IE for my day-to-day browsing but I'm a web designer so I need IE too. I design to standards so only IE6 is of use to me. I have to have it. Edited by Tomcat76

fdv

Man, you are tempting me :)

I installed OE uncommenting the INF file in SYSSETUP and installing it _with_ Windows. At first startup it worked good. But after I ran FireFox it stoped responding on clicking (nothing happened after clicking the icon or the executive).

About nLite - I tried it this morning. It didn't installed maybe because I deleted too much from the source. But I was impressed about how it reduced the source from 242 MB to 151 MB (about 25 MB is saved for Chines Simplified and Chinese Traditional in LANG folder - I need them). Do you have any recommendation how to reduce the source with your files?

Best regards,

Oleg 2

@tommyp- I cannot upload the file directory listing of HFSLIP of 422KB it displays the following message The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

Attachments

Global Space Left: 4.88mb

kreative19

@tommyp- I cannot upload the file directory listing of HFSLIP of 422KB it displays the following message The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

Attachments

Global Space Left: 4.88mb

kreative19

I meant to type out the filenames of the files in the HF folder, and zip up the txtfile.

@Oleg_II - reducing source while removing IE with my files is coming also. (pretty straightforward, tommyp wrote me a batch file that moves all files i specify to a 'junk' directory.) i'll keep you posted. i also need to figure out an issue that os2fan had with slipstreaming ie6 _and_ removing ie. (that is only a missing files copy problem.)

@tommyp- Please find the attached file director listing of HFSLIP.

I discarded the IE5 , MSjava from the HF folder but they are present in the list.

kreative19

I'll ask one more time. Run a directory of your HF folder (YES that means ALL files in the HF folder), ZIP it and post it. FYI, a 7z is not a ZIP.