[How To]: Nero 6.6.0.0 7zip

evilvoice

ok, well, first off extract nero6601.exe to a directory (preferably nero6601)

A couple of things first, if you have any reg settings you would like to add to the nero installation, export from your current registry and save as nero.reg. Put this file in nero6601 dir

create a cmd file called nero.cmd in nero6601 dir.

CMDOW @ /HID
setup.exe /SN=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /WRITE_SN /SILENT /NO_UI /NOREBOOT /NOLICENSE /NOCANCEL
REGEDIT /S nero.reg

if you dont have cmdow, do a search on the board...or you can change it to @ECHO OFF

now, Im assuming you have 7zip already, so go into nero6601 folder and highlight everything, then go to "Add to Archive..."

in name, put nero.7z

archive format: 7z

Compression Level: Ultra

Compression Method: LZMA

Dictionary Size: doesnt really matter

Word Size: Doesnt really matter

Check "create solid archive"

NOTHING ELSE IS CHECKED.

Once done, erase everything EXCEPT nero.7z

Now, create a file called config.txt

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="nero.cmd"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Save As...and check that encoding is set for UTF-8

Now, download the attachment and copy it to the nero6601 folder...you should now have ONLY nero.7z, config.txt and nero.sfx in this folder...

nero.sfx has nero's icon in it so the setup file looks like nero's...rename nero.sfx to 7zSC.sfx

now, open a command prompt and goto your nero6601 dir...type

copy /b 7zSC.sfx + config.txt + nero.7z nero.exe

that should be it...for nve, rerun the steps...though if using both nero and nve, for a universal explanation, I included the reg file and cmd file in both nve and nero...though if you know about 7zip you could translate it so that only nero.exe has the cmd and reg file and nve uses only config.txt to run setup...but as I said, this is a universal explanation for both files (that way if someone only wants nve, the instructions are correct, and if someone wants only nero they are correct).

If there are any problems, please post them here...I will try and figure out whats going on as I may have skipped a step or 2...this should result in a 10mb less install for both nero and nve combined...Hope this helps some people out.

Thanks for your guide. Pretty straight forward. I managed to reduce my nero setup from 27MB (Winrar) to 21.7MB (7-Zip). :P

I do have some questions and tips to add.

1) You could tell people to leave multi-threading checked if they have a Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading. It could speed up their compressing speed up to 30%.

2)

...rename nero.sfx to 7zSC.sfx
Is it a typo? Should'nt it be 7zSD.sfx, or it does'nt really matter what you call it.

3) I used your nero.sfx, but I'm also curious as to how you changed the icon. I would like to know how to put my own icons into *.sfx. Care to do another step by step guide. :hello:

Excellent job.

the "C" in 7zSC.sfx stands for Compressed...or upx compressed for what really happens there...to replace icons, open 7zS.sfx in resource hacker...goto Action -> Replace Icon, and basically chose the icon you wanna replace the default one with...then save...itll ask you for a name, just input 7zS.sfx (make sure not to save in the same dir as your install of 7zip)...now, just run upx..."upx -9 -o7zSC.sfx 7zS.sfx" as I said, C stands for compressed, which is the only reason its used...you may be able to call 7zSC or 7zS anything you want, but I dont just to make sure the install works correctly.

• 2 months later...

So i just call this from RunonceEx with no switches as the nero.cmd contains the switches?

Edit: PS Brilliant guide and I may start using this 7Zip after this, its brilliant. actually forget my question ive tested it :D, and please a tutorial on how to make the icon SFX thing ;)

7zip is a great compression tool, the only thing that prevents me to move from rar is the time i need to spent on creating a config.txt, and the .sfx module. also i like to keep my nero icon on my customized installation (yes i'm so picky... :lol:). btw great guide ;)

7zip is a great compression tool, the only thing that prevents me to move from rar is the time i need to spent on creating a config.txt, and the .sfx module. also i like to keep my nero icon on my customized installation (yes i'm so picky... :lol:). btw great guide ;)

I second that. 7zip sfx modules need to progress more for me to switch.