best HOSTS file to use?

Actually, I used to do that a lot. But I wanted one that was complete and up to date. So I found the best maintained/updated lists on the web, and combined them all (including my own). Even in 0.0.0.0 format, and with not a single duplicate entry, it was like 1.2mb. As soon as you'd access the web, the network service would peak up to 99% cpu use for about 10 minutes, and take like 20mb+ of ram... I've mostly given up on it. I might make a smaller one sometime from them...

why would you need a hosts file thats really big... sure i can see it for blocking certain bad websites from installing stuff on yourc omputer etc... but just don tgo to those sites and you'll be fine. I only got 3 entries in my hosts file and thats to stop the audio/video ads in AIM.

I guess I'll have to try with the DNS service disabled then :) If some people use 4.4mb files with no issues, no reason why my small 1.2MB one should cause issues... Thanks :) Adblock in firefox works nicely, but I still like having a good hosts file.