HOWTO: integrate wmp10 (with a lot of work)

evilvoice

im glad it worked out for one person ;). I tried to do most of the troubleshooting and make a complete howto without any "user error" problems...if this method does not work for you, I honestly would have no idea why it doesnt...I have a nlited cd that I took out more than just wmp and it still works (though im now having a problem with something else...not sure if it is related)...I also use Pyrons method for drivers with Bashrats drivers and serialzs presetup.cmd...Im only saying this to show that almost no matter what youve done with your cd, this method should work.

about layout.inf...im not 100% sure what depends on what but I believe txtsetup.sif tells windows what to install and it look at layout.inf to determine what to do with the file (in the sense as to whether the file is extracted or compressed)...but dont quote me on that...I believe if the file is not in txtsetup.sif, then setup wont query layout.inf...I know nlite does not remove entries from layout.inf...but I also believe that there is some security check on the file or something as to why noone has been able to edit it yet.

And yes you can turn it into Pro if you replace that wellknown set of files (but that would be considered illegal)

You turn it into Pro by entering a Windows XP Professional product key. No messing of files is necessary.

Windows XP checks the product key you enter on your Windows MCE media -> if it's a MCE key, it installs MCE, if it's Pro, it installs Pro.

or... you could just get CD1 from Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 which has WMP10 built in (instead of the usual WMP9 that comes with SP2)

or if you really wanted to slipstream WMP10 you should use the files from MCE 2005. This way the slipstream will even be signed and all :)

HE LIVES!!!! :P

This is semi-topic related, but could almost use a thread of it's own.  I was looking through the file layout.inf and noticed there are entries in there that refer to WMP9.  And I was wondering, would it be beneficial to eliminate for instance wmp.inf from this listing and replace it with wmp10.inf?

I also noticed that nLite does not seem to remove anything from this file.  Heck, I'm not even 100% sure what the file is for.  It looks like it's telling setup which subdirectories all the various files should be copied to, but I don't know if it does more than that.

So, I'm really curious if our unattended installs would go any faster or be more reliable perhaps, if we were to groom the layout.inf file to more accurately reflect our modifications.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that this guide worked out great for me the first time through.  Very well put together and thank you for all the time it will save me!

If you edit layout.inf, Windows Setup will die a horrible death. OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. Windows Setup will give you an error saying it's unable to copy the security catalog files and won't let you continue. Though nLite patches sysssetup.dll so you can work around that ;)

i was wondering, how much space can one save in doing this method than by running the wmp10 installer via svcpack.inf?

since the files removed by nlite is replaced by the 4.98mb wmp10 cab.

honestly, I dunno if it saves any space...but it does get rid of wmp9 and installs wmp10...if you remove wmp9 and try to install wmp10 from svcpack.inf you will get an error and it wont install. Using that thinking, it does save some space...removing wmp9 saved around 12mb from cd, and adding the wmp10.cab only added 5mb, so thats a savings of 7mb (I know not a lot)...but thats what it saves.

ok i found this interesting but as said the big problem i see it's question of size.

probably will take more than necessary before and same result can be achieved without removing wm9 (safer).

anyway it's a nice job and hope that this can help some1 to create another method to replace wmp9 with wmp10 saving space.

offtopic: i thought a time ago ... what about replacing wmp9 files with dummy (0-byte) cabbed files?? this should give 4/5 precious mb extra in an unattended installation

hmmm, I just said it saves 7mb...thats with the 5mb wmp10.cab included...when I removed wmp9, it said I saved 19mb...this was because it removed my 5mb wmp10.cab...so we take 19 and subtract 5, which gives us 14mb (this is what would have been removed had it not removed wmp10.cab)...now we subtract 5mb for wmp10.cab which gives us a total savings of 9mb...even more than what I said...this also does not include removing wmp9 codecs (which can be removed since the codecs are included in mp10setup.exe)...I could try and nlite from a true source and find out how much is removed by only removing wmp9 and codecs and tell you how much it is...i may do that in a minute or 2...

EDIT just nlited with removing only wmp and wmp codecs...saved 16mb, so with the 5mb cab file added in, thats a total saving of 11mb over what we have so far...this does not get rid of mp10setup.exe in svcpack dir...which is why more space isnt removed...I havent had a chance to try integrating mce2k5 wmp10 into source yet, but will try soon, and that should save a total of 9mb...as you can see, you actually save more using my method...my mp10setup.exe file is 9mb (7zipped), and since using the mce files would replace said wmp9 files, it can be assumed that it will take the same amount of space, so this means the only file we can remove is mp10setup from svcpack.inf (this takes into account that we no longer use wmp10.cab and therefore the size of 16mb saved would be replaced by the wmp10 files)...so if you look at it that way...my way saves the MOST amount of space.

or... you could just get CD1 from Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 which has WMP10 built in (instead of the usual WMP9 that comes with SP2)

or if you really wanted to slipstream WMP10 you should use the files from MCE 2005. This way the slipstream will even be signed and all :)

That's what I did when I got it. Added DX9c and MP10 to SP1 as well.

You turn it into Pro by entering a Windows XP Professional product key.  No messing of files is necessary. 

Windows XP checks the product key you enter on your Windows MCE media -> if it's a MCE key, it installs MCE, if it's Pro, it installs Pro.

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Yes, the product key is legal.

You turn it into Pro by entering a Windows XP Professional product key.  No messing of files is necessary. 

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Yes, the product key is legal.

Make sure the Product key matches the version of the CD. My MCE2005 media will not work with Retail keys/volume keys, etc. but does work with OEM keys.

That is your problem.

i have some questions about this method

1.wmp10.cat

since used svcpack's mothed,why wmp10.cat is missing?or it's unneccessary?

2.svcpack.inf

err.....just create it?and leave it uncompressed?(svcpack.in_)

since i have used RaynVM's Update Pack;svcpack.in_ is exist,so how should i do?just add the content then recompress it?

3.nlite

i use nlite to integrate RaynVM's Update Pack,so svcpack.in_ will overwrite mine.can i modify svcpack.inf after nlite's process is over?

my last question is that how to check svcpack whether it is available for both @installation,does any different between svcpack.inf and svcpack.in_

following is svcpack.inf i modified,is it correct?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\svcpack"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB832414.CAT

KB884020.CAT

KB885523.CAT

KB885626.CAT

KB885894.CAT

SCRIPTEN.CAT

[setupHotfixesToRun]

"mp10setup.exe /Q:A /c:""setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore /P:#e"""

"unregmp2.exe /Shortcuts /RegExts"

1. wmp10.cat is inside mp10setup.exe

2. I personally leave svcpack.inf uncompressed...just easier to edit

3. I would recommend to edit svcpack.inf AFTER nlite...I think thats the way its listed in the HOWTO

and lastly, it looksok...you may wanna make sure your svcpack.inf works...because I have a lot more info in mine than you do...so I would check to make sure it works first.

1. wmp10.cat is inside mp10setup.exe

2.  I personally leave svcpack.inf uncompressed...just easier to edit

3.  I would recommend to edit svcpack.inf AFTER nlite...I think thats the way its listed in the HOWTO

and lastly, it looksok...you may wanna make sure your svcpack.inf works...because I have a lot more info in mine than you do...so I would check to make sure it works first.

it seems i asked some fool questions,shy :blushing:

thx for your reply

the svcpack.inf i posted is correct?

the addon position is right?

[setupHotfixesToRun]

"mp10setup.exe /Q:A /c:""setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore /P:#e"""

"unregmp2.exe /Shortcuts /RegExts"

i'm not know well about svcpack method :blushing: