HOWTO: integrate wmp10 (with a lot of work)

evilvoice

test report:

wmp10 did not installed automatically finally,however,user can still to install wmp10 manually.because WMP Core(WMP10.cab) worked well

the reason i think is svcpack,it seems not work.(but RyanVM's Update Pack worked well)

my suggestion is that:there is no need to modify svcpack.inf,just not use svcpack mode to install wmp10.users can use other method,for example,winnt.sif/xplode/cmd and so on.just use parametar to run mp10setup and unregmp2 sliently and automatically

finally,i still have to say:"great work,evilvoice"

as I said, you are missing some information in svcpack.inf...this is what mine looks like

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\UPDATE"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
KB832414.cat
KB834707.cat
KB884020.cat
KB885523.cat
KB885626.cat
KB885894.cat
scripten.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
dotnetfw.exe
msjvm.exe
mp10setup.exe
"unregmp2.exe /Shortcuts /RegExts"
wmcsetup.exe

notice the difference under [Version]...this is the only way Ive gotten svcpack.inf to work.

Whowhooo! another person who says it works :)

sorry for 2 replies in a row...but I need some help...

This is for people who use RyanVM's Update Pack and this method of integrating wmp10...

When following this guide perfectly and also installing RyanVM's Update Pack, do all hotfixes install...Im trying to figure out what breaks the Update Pack install...I removed more than just wmp with nlite, but I want to make sure this isnt causing the problem...here is my scenario

Using this method and RyanVM's Pack (Full for English) Highmat says it is needed via Windows Update...if I regsvr32 hmtcd.dll it is no longer a needed update...I am trying to find out if this HOWTO is causing it not to regsvr the file during optional component setup or not...So anyone who uses the Full Pack for English and this method, please post back if Highmat says its needed in Windows Update...it would really help me out in determining where I need to start to fix the problem...I do not believe my method causes the problem, but something else I removed, Im just checking with people...so either pm or reply with results, it will be greatly appreciated.

as I said, you are missing some information in svcpack.inf...this is what mine looks like

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\UPDATE"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
KB832414.cat
KB834707.cat
KB884020.cat
KB885523.cat
KB885626.cat
KB885894.cat
scripten.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
dotnetfw.exe
msjvm.exe
mp10setup.exe
"unregmp2.exe /Shortcuts /RegExts"
wmcsetup.exe

notice the difference under [Version]...this is the only way Ive gotten svcpack.inf to work.

Whowhooo! another person who says it works :)

of coz sth is wrong @svcpack.inf,i said i'm not familiar with svcpack.inf :}

it seems some parameters are different with top guide @7

i think u can give more details @top guide,eg.a sample of svcpack.inf,this will make the method more clear

i will try svcpack method next time.

BTW:i also didn't only remove wmp with nlite and used with RyanVM's Lite Pack,it works ok.this method can be do after nlite.it's independence

well i decided to give an oportunity to this method.

after first test (unsuccessful) i noticed an important thing and why it would NEVER run properly. have you tried to extract the files from wmp10.cab and run wmp10.inf?

it will popup an error message similar to "The Software you are trying to install is not signed." so firstly you need to add wmp10.cat to the list of files needed.

after that you are able to install wmp10 but... another thing i have noticed it's that first run dialog it's displayed as always and need to be avoided with a regtweak.

finally the most annoying for me it's that no wmp shortcuts are created on my start menu.

i'll deeply take a look later on my next "unattended test"

space saved it's about ~10mb until building the iso file in the root dir after removing wmp9 and wmp9 codecs.

hmmm, dunno if its different cuz your not using english maybe...mine never complains about wmp10.cat being in the file...I also get a start menu button...I am unsure as to whether the icon gets created in "Programs" but I do have it on the MRU list...SimonSays...about wmp10.cat, Im gonna assume you used your own wmp10.inf and not the one I provided in the attachment...if so, you need to remove some lines from the beginning of the wmp10.inf file...I never said that wmp10 would not behave as wmp9 did...so yes, first run is displayed like always...(I dont remember saying I was gonna give ANYONE any regtweaks for wmp10...the reason I decided on this is my tweaks may not be your tweaks)...

I am not sure if SimonSays is using my attachment or not...but I cannot stress enough that YOU MUST USE MY ATTACHMENT AS WMP10.IN_...If you do not, you will run into more problems than its worth...now, if you want to extract my wmp10.in_ and convert what I have done into YOUR language, by all means, do so...but DO NOT simply copy wmp10.inf from mp10setup.exe and think its gonna work, because it wont.

About space saved...if you have nlited at all before doing this, your space saved results will vary...I believe I said that you should not nlite before this...but dunno...my space results are based on a true xpsp2 source and ONLY removing wmp9 and codecs and adding ONLY wmp10.cab and mp10setup.exe (7zipped to reduce size of file)...so using that formula, you will arrive at my totals. I used the same idea for including the other methods...so it isnt like I unfairly reported results. Although I do not know if wmp10 can be makecabbed smaller than wmp9 currently on the cd...as I said, using nlite removes 16mb, so if makecabbing all of wmp10 yields a smaller size, then that would be the only difference in my totals...I could try real quick and post back my size reults in compressing wmp10, to give people I guess a true representation...even though in the end, I can almost guarantee my method will still have the least amount of size. (also, i do not take into account the inf and unregmp2 files because it doesnt really add anything that would offset my totals)

Like I had posted earlier, this guide worked for me the first try. I did nLite (put Ryan's pack in using nLite) and then followed this guide. And I did use the inf proided here. Now that its mentioned, Windows Update does have HighMAT listed, but I dont remember if it was listed before implementing this how to.

ok so first, yes i used my own wmp10.inf (with english one it prompts an error)

you need to remove some lines from the beginning of the wmp10.inf file
this is interesting but... what lines?

my regtweak include preferences and first run so i decided to import them sometime in runonce

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;WMP10 Setup no FirstRun dialog

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]

"WMARecordRate"=dword:0001f400

"MP3RecordRate"=dword:0002ee00

"AutoAddMusicToLibrary"=dword:00000000

"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001

"FirstRun"=dword:00000000

"LibraryPaneVisible"=dword:00000000

"LibraryHasBeenRun"=dword:00000001

"UsageTracking"=dword:00000000

"DisableMRU"=dword:00000001

"AlwaysOnTop"=dword:00000000

"EnableScreensaver"=dword:00000000

"DoNotShowAnchor"=dword:00000001

"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001

;remove "WMP Play Folder As Playlist Launcher"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7D4734E6-047E-41e2-AEAA-E763B4739DC4}]

;remove "WMP Burn Audio CD Launcher"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8DD448E6-C188-4aed-AF92-44956194EB1F}]

;remove "WMP Play As Playlist Launcher"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}]

;remove "WMP Add To Playlist Launcher"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F1B9284F-E9DC-4e68-9D7E-42362A59F0FD}]

as i said my space saved it's 10mb (before nlite), only removed wmp9 and codecs and added wmp10 cab and wmp10setup (standart compression).

Why use WMP10.cab if the files are in mp10setup.exe!

You can save 5MB (from WMP10.cab) easily, you do not need it.

My method, 1!!! File (11.7MB) which do all things. You can remove WMP9 and Codecs with Nlite.

1) Extract the contents of mp10setup.exe somewhere (mp10setup)

2) Make a setup.inf with the code below and put it in the folder. Or get this file.

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
LayoutFile=layout.inf
SetupClass=BASE

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg         = Run.Prepare,Run.Setup,Run.Shortcut_Extension
CopyFiles      = wm.stream.copy
Registerdlls   = regwmp.dlls
AddReg         = Regs.Config

[Run.Prepare]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","Prepare",, "rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 ./WMP10.inf"
[Run.Setup]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","Setup",, "setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore /P:#e"
[Run.Shortcut_Extension]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","Shortcut_Extension",, "unregmp2.exe /Shortcuts /RegExts"

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=11
wm.stream.copy=11
[SourceDisksNames]
5655 = %SourceFileDesc%,,0
[SourceDisksFiles]
msdxm.ocx = 5655
[wm.stream.copy]
msdxm.ocx,,,97

[RegSection]
Registerdlls   = regwmp.dlls
[regwmp.dlls]
11,,WMNetMgr.dll,1
11,,wmp.dll,1
11,,msdxm.ocx,1
11,,wmpasf.dll,1
11,,wmpdxm.dll,1
11,,wmploc.DLL,1
11,,wmpshell.dll,1
11,,wmpsrcwp.dll,1

[Regs.Config]
;Add what you want to configure WMP10.

You can add all registry tweaks you want in 'setup.inf' under the [Regs.Config] section.

3) Copy the 'msdxm.ocx' file in the folder (where you extract mp10setup.exe) > This file is for enabling streaming media in IE. You can find it in Windows Setup CD. It is removed by Nlite in the same time of WMP9 that is why i add it here.

4) Make an sfx archive from all files in the folder. (In Winrar: SFX Solid Archive, Normal Compression > 11.7MB)

With winrar use this comment:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands
Setup=rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 ./setup.inf
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

EDIT2: Other method to run setup, without self extract.

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 #WHERE#/setup.inf
With #WHERE# the absolute extracted path

I didn't try with svcpack.inf. I use it in runonce after after last reboot. I will try to put it in svcpack and see what happens.

Edit:

how did you run the setup after extract your 7zip? and from where?

I said:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 ./setup.inf

But it is better to use:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 #WHERE#/setup.inf
With #WHERE# the absolute extracted path

With wirar, the files are extracted in TMP folder then the command are executed from this forder. So I use #WHERE# = ./

Edit2:

With sfx winrar archive, it is working in svcpack.inf.

I put MP10Setup.exe (Winrar Archive :) not Microsoft setup) in svcpack folder

I add "MP10Setup.exe" in svcpack.inf under [setupHotfixesToRun] section

still working on it...for some reason, 7zip just wont do it automatically...duno why, I can extract everything, run startx and have it run the command and it installs fine, but when using the exe file, it just stops or errors out...Ill have to look more into it as I think its not understanding what im trying to do in the config file.

FINALLY...jebus this was tough...I tried every which way of trying to use StartX which just doesnt work with rundll32 and 7zip...who knows why...I should submit a bug report to the maker, but oh well...I ended up using a cmd file...and writing the config to run the cmd file...so basically, do exactly what titou2k said in making the package...extract mp10setup, make setup.inf, make mp10setup.cmd, copy msdxm.ocx (these files should be in the mp10setup folder)...then make a 7z file with all these things...(I use ultra compression)

mp10setup.cmd

@ECHO OFF
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 ./setup.inf

make config.txt !!!MAKE SURE TO SAVE AS UTF-8 FORMAT!!!

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="mp10setup.cmd"
;!@InstallEnd@!

next, compress 7zS.sfx

upx -9 -o7zSC.sfx 7zS.sfx

copy /b 7zSC.sfx + config.txt + mp10setup.7z mp10setup.exe

This assumes you named the archive mp10setup.7z

TEST THIS!!! I am unsure if I have all the steps...I was really just looking at a way to get it to work in svcpack.inf...the package with StartX works after setup is finished, but not within svcpack.inf, which is where I like to isntall things like this. And Ive made 15 different configurations of mp10setup...so like I said, I might have missed a step or 2...but it seems all correct.