Media Connect

andrewpayne

... IMMO you must provide a link to download cabarc.exe. :unsure: ...

Are you kidding? Then everyone and their mother would be trying it, and reporting (USER) errors!

In fact, there is no download for CABARC.EXE only, though it is included with many, many Microsoft kits (CABSDK, IEAK, WM Enterprise Deployment, etc.). I figure that those who do not have it probably are not worried about running this from SVCPACK.INF.

Which brings me to your second point. Of course I did not post it until I tested it, and if it would not work in SVCPACK.INF, it is not for me! The reason one sometimes has trouble with MSIEXEC.EXE is not because MSIEXEC.EXE is not "found", but because the *.MSI file must have either the full path specification, or be in the current, working directory. In this case, it is in the current directory, in order to avoid the need for hardcoded paths. Note that MSIEXEC.EXE in NOT included in the final package. CABARC.EXE, on the other hand, IS.

The final result is the same: the difference is in the tools used. Nilfred's  method does create a smaller file, so perhaps it is better.

Thanks for the quick reply. Space is a big problem on my CD so I guess Nilfred's method is what I stick with.

I didn't see any mention here that to even use this thing, you need to have UPnP running along with File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. I home environments, which I think would be the main target for this application, I always shut off File and Printer Sharing by default. And I NEVER EVER have UPnP / SSDP enabled.

So this POS isn't going to be making it into my unattended installations any time soon.

Nilfred's method for 'Windows Media Connect' works perfectly. It also works without giving any System Restore Message even if you have System Restore off.

@Nilfred

For some reason your similar method for 'Media Player 10', does not work. When you run the mp10setup7.exe' it just starts with the extracting process, and then nothing... it just dissapears. I have retried the whole process several times but with no luck.

That's what his method for wmc did for me...just extracted 'somewhere' and stopped.

Don't think the problem was btwn the keyboard and chair...unless Nilfred meant his keyboard and his chair...heh, heh.

But it works fine for me for 'wmc', it is only with mp10 that it does not work.

I wonder if it would be possible for someone to host working copies of 'mp10setup7.exe' and 'wmcsetup7.exe'. I am willing to upload my working copy of 'wmcsetup7.exe'. This will save a lot of people a lot of grief. Now that is a lot of lots. :)

ok, i tested both nilfreds mp10setup7 and wmc7...windows media player looked installed but didnt start, windows update said wmc needed to be applied...switched to mp10setup and wmc7...wmp worked but windows update said wmc still needs to be applied...switched to mp10setup and wmc (GM's) and wmp10 worked and windows update said I did not need wmc....so you tell me where the problem is...as you can tell, I have tested your method and it doesnt work...neither does your mp10setup...and I use a couple of 7zip compressed exe's...dotnet is 1.

For those who need a "debug" for WMC, remove "/qb" in the folowing line:

ECHO RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec /i %MsiName% /qb\"">>config.txt

and rebuild it all.

If hangs unattended may hang attended...

Also run the batch file with ADMINISTRATOR privileges, or the AIP will not succeed.

WMC is only fully installed after WMP first run. I don't know why. Be specially care if you run registry tweak that prevent WMP first run setup.

If any other problem may arise you are on your own.

@Frank_Sechrist

That's what his method for wmc did for me...just extracted 'somewhere' and stopped.
That is the default "unattended" behavior. Replace the "/qb" switch to match your instalation behavior taste.

@Sanjay:

Edit your post, there are something contradictory

'Windows Media Connect' works perfectly. [cut] 'wmcsetup7.exe' it just starts with the extracting process, and then nothing...
or off-topic:
your similar method for 'Media Player 10', does not work