Beginner programmer

I am a beginner programmer. i.e. never written a program that runs in a Windows environment. I would like to write some programs that run under Win 98SE, 2000 & XP (all versions). I would like to develop a text editor, word processor and database applications that run on all of these platforms. Is there one programming language that will do all of these things? In light of my lack of programming experience and excluding cost, how do I go about choosing an approprite programming language?

db.

from my experience - i began programming using delphi, then advanced to working asp/html onto vb.net, now working on advance java

i personally prefer the vb.net environment as opposed to any other due to the great features integrated into microsofts vs.net ide. so if your going to be learning programming from scratch, and are looking for good support - id recommend vs.net, and starting your programming language based on vb.net

you can buy the student version of vs.net professional for about 150AUD, so thats relatively well priced - and if you dont like vb, you can advance into c, c++, c#, asp, j#.

but i will say this, if your wanting to begin developing in a object orientated environment, java would be your best choice - and java is free.

personally, id have it no other way than to begin with visual basic.

What no COBOL fans? ... oh wait that is limited in programming ability.

Schools now adays are going for Java. So if you want to hit the books early I suggest that language. Supposibly the easier languages out there to learn and has no end to what it can do (relatively speaking in terms of time period).

Java just takes time to learn ... about as much as perl, C and C++. VB I thought was the easiest to pick up (that and ASP uses VB) ... but thats my experience. I personally wish COBOL would release something new :D as that language is fun to work with, dont ask cause i sure hell dont know myself :P