anyone got program too hide folders...

Synapse

well... my PERSONAL computer just became the family computer.. its still in my room but i got information i don't want anyone else reading. *or pictures* :P well.. i looked at one program many years ago called folderguard.. but its pointless as a message comes up saying "there is a hidden folder at c:\hidden do you wish too make this folder visible" if you have the unregistered version...

so my question is... does anyone know of a good FREEWARE program that can hide folders/drives in windows XP..

Thanks

you could also, move all your stuff into your profile folder, and have your security settings set no one else can access it. I think you can do it with other folders too, but the profile dir I know for sure. It's a real bugger getting back into if you accidently install XP ontop of itself (not reformating, just reinstall) and if you loose the User account......have fun. Had to boot up a 98 image with NTFS software to access the drive.

@uNxHiTMaN I'll try that after i post this...

*EDIT* hmm... kinda difficult too use in my opinion.

@Vel Straty & Alanoll I got a whole drive i wanna hide from the users and i don't wanna have too remake shortcuts if i do move them too my profiles folder or what not..

well if u have xp pro u can set the folders permission.

u can even disable the users from browsing the contents of it

but if u're looking for an alternate program File Protector 2000, not the best out there (not free) but it did its job, it hid the files until u open the program and entered the password, and there was something called magic folders, I don't remember how it was, but i'd say best way is to go with xp's own sec tools,

I got a whole drive i wanna hide from the users and i don't wanna have too remake shortcuts if i do move them too my profiles folder or what not.
@Bi0haZarD

LOL, why do we forget the simplest solutions....

Everybody in your family has their own user account right? (or atleast, you use a different account, than the rest of the family?)

1. Login to your account.

2. Create a folder in your MyDocuments called "MyHiddenFiles" or whatever.

3. Right-click MyComputer, click manage.

4. Browse to DiskManagement.

5. There, right-click the partition that has the files to be hidden.

6. "Change Drive letter and Paths", remove the drive letter, confirm "yes" to it.

7. Then, add a new - "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder".

8. Click "Browse" and browse to the path of "MyHiddenFiles", and click OK.

9. There! You're done, that's all.

So now, what might have been your E: drive, is no longer accessible as E: drive. It is a folder "mounted" at %username%\MyDocs\MyHiddenFiles.

Now, assuming that others won't go fiddling around your user-profile folder looking for files, your E: is safe now. Its files can only be accessed when YOU login, and through the folder you specified. The others simply don't even know that such a drive exists. If you feel like formatting your C: drive, you don't need to worry about losing your E: drive's files/NTFS-permissions/etc - simply re-install your windows, and re-do the above steps.

Do post back if you use the above suggestion, and you find it useful. Hoping this helps...

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.pc-magic.com/des.htm#mf

Magic Folders and Encrypted Magic Folders. Great programs. The Encrypted version is the same as the normal version but you can both encrypt the files (duh!) and also scramble the filenames. The scambling function is nice because if someone bypasses the program they still don't know what files they've got because the names/extensions are all scrambled up.

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering will this also work for an external USB 2 hard drive?

I haven't tried it, but since it is simply all about partitions, I guess it should work.

@Jito

I get sweet pleasure in not having to use 3rd party software, to do what I want. Especially if not too much complexity is needed.

@prathapml

Thanks for this info....

I was wondering will this also work for an external USB 2 hard drive?

regards

The manner itself will work for an external drive. I just tested it out.

However, when you go to try to remove the drive (like when I want to take my laptop away with me to school), Windows will keep telling you that a program is still accessing the drive and you won't be able to remove it "safely".

If you've simply got this drive hooked up for more stoage at a desktop computer, then go for it. :thumbup

Hope this helps. :hello:

Hide Folders™ XP 2 – Hide, lock and password protect your private files and folders from other users

Hide Folders™ XP is a simple but ingenious program for Microsoft Windows XP and 2000 users. Every day we trust our personal files to a computer. Who knows how many people will want to get access to them? If you share your computer with co-workers, children, spouse or your computer is always connected to the Internet, your private files are under threat of being revealed. Since 2001, our Hide Folders software products help our users to hide private files and folders from prying eyes.

With Hide Folders™ XP 2 you can easily protect any number of folders and files on your computer. You can select any file or folder to protect from the program, drag-and-drop the desired files and folders from Windows Explorer into the Hide Folders XP window or just right click mouse button on a file or folder in Explorer and select “Hide & Lock with Hide Folders XP” from the drop-down menu.

New protection modes: Hide folder, Lock folder, Hide & Lock folder

If you are a Hide Folders™ XP 1.x user, you are probably know, that all hidden folders were inaccessible as well. So if you hide a folder with Hide Folders™ XP 1.x you also lock this folder. In Hide Folders™ XP 2 this mode is called Hide & Lock. When you add a new folder to Hide Folders™ XP list, it will receive Hide & Lock protection attribute by default.

There are 3 additional protection modes available in Hide Folders™ XP 2:

Hide folder protection mode. The protected file or folder will not be visible to a user, but it will be possible to access it if you know the path to the object. This may be helpful when you want to hide application folders but allow running the applications from these folders. E.g. you may hide Hide Folders™ XP application folder, so nobody will know about it, but if you type from the command prompt "C:\Program Files\HFXP2\hfxp.exe", Hide Folders XP will run.

Lock folder protection mode. The protected file or folder will be visible but not accessible. It is similar to built-in protection of Windows NT-based operating systems on NTFS volumes. You cannot use this protection method for Windows, System and Hide Folders™ XP application folders.

No protection mode. If you choose this method, your file or folder will remain unprotected even if the protection is activated.

Hide Folders XP 2.0

+ New hide engine has been totally rewritten

+ Now Hide Folders XP can hide (not lock) itself

+ Now Hide Folders XP can protect separate files as well as folders

+ It is possible to add unlimited number of files and folders to the list

+ New modes of files and folders protection (Hide, Lock, Hide & Lock)

+ It is possible to leave files and folders unprotected after quit

+ Now Hide Folders XP can be integrated into Windows Explorer's context menu

* Improved behavior when adding a shortcut to a file object

* Several user interface improvements

http://www.fspro.net/hide-folders-xp/index.html