whats the smallest partion i should put XP on?

GLO

for XP alone to run in an okay manner - a minimum of 1.5 GB.

Otherwise, to run XP normally, with a good swap space, normal applications, etc. - recommended to keep your XP's system installed partition atleast 7.5 GB. More than that or less than that is useless.

thanks.

atm i have assigned 2.5Gb and 1.69 is used up already and thats just XP plus Symantec Shared Folders (dont know how to move these, I was only able to nominate the installation location but not the Symantec Shared info location)

Data and Porgrams have their own partitions.

I've set 2gb (without paging file) and I've 430mb left. and this is hardly maintained since the temp folder gets filled so fast and my temp internet files for ie is 10mb.

also the application data folder gets filled up so fast as well (most of the apps I use fill there) so I usually try to set them to other partitions of mine.

c drive contents (windows & documents & settings)

on my next install i'll probably set it to 3gb just to be able to get rid of the temp and other files less often..

but if u're going to include your program files in there, I don't know how many programs u use but 2.5 seems to be not enough, at least for me, also if u have paging in there and since virtual memory will be written in there and install shield msi files will be stored in c:\windows\installer

I'd definitely increase that amount to at least 3gb. (definitely more!)

ow and 1 more thing if u use your desktop often, like put your dled files or other files on the desktop your c drive will get filled pretty soon. 2 ways to recover that, either set the desktop to other partitions or change the partition size...

I will have a separate partition for XP, so i am curious to know what is the smallest partition size i can have.

You should partite the 7.5 GB - 8 GB if you want to make Windows XP to be normal. Microsoft's recommandation are too less...

Official stated minimum requirements don't mean much. The "normal" xp install with a swapfile around a gig, the hybernate file nearly as big, IE caches, temp folders, system restore points and what not take significant space - plus what the OS actually takes up in system files... Even though I disable hibernation, system restore and such, I wouldn't go much below say, 6gigs or so. For decent performance and lessen fragmentation, they recommend something like 20% free disk space minimum. Temp folder wise, not only most installers leave files behind, but sometimes, like when archiving big files (compressing a gig+ of data or such) needs to make quite big temp files as well... 1.5gigs just won't cut it - no matter what microsoft claims.

I'd really like to see someone running win XP sp2 (with a gazillion other processes running in the background as well like we see too often) on a pc with a 300mhz cpu, 128mb ram on a 1.5gb partition with all GUI enhancements and everything else enabled...I'm sure he'd be more than happy about his setup ;)

• 1 month later...

i installed Windows XP Professional on a 1,3/1,24GB very old harddisk.

i used compress drive option so i have 446MB free space left with 192MB swap file.

----

Windows XP Professional sp2

Arabic support

400mhz cpu

128mb ram

on 1,24GB Harddisk