Noise from Fan, which is on heatsink

Wasim

Hey everyone.

I hardly ever come across software problems never to mind hardware probs. However now i think i have a hardware problem. i have been using an amd fan on top of the heatsink of an amd athlon xp 2000+ cpu. The fan is now starting to make noise, dad tells me it could be the bearings in the fan...could this be so? i think i may need a new fan and i need telling what the problem might be and what size fan i need, if it needs replacing

Try getting some canned air or if you have a air compressor and blowing the fans out dust can get in the barings and creat rubbing.

If its being going on for some time now the barrings may be shot, in which case you can get youself either a new fant just replace that, or get an entire new heatsink and fan combo. IF you try the latter of the 2 options, be very carful, as to the Core of the amd cpu is very fragile. IF you do not install them properly you will kill your cpu. I have seen this hundreds of time at my shop

|Drew|

Just before you go on to spend money, try that air blowr option. Sometimes it helps. There maybe a broken fan fin. There might be a (HDD etc.) cable interfering with the fins of the fan. That's why I dislike AMD's cooling solutions. Intel has made their parts so that the stater comes above the fan, and acts as a protective cage for it.

I'd just go ahead and replace the entire heatsink/fan with something of higher quality. If you really want to see what fan is causing the noise (or if its a fan) just unplug them one by one while the PC is still on. But only do it long enough to see what's making the noise.

Just make sure you plug them right back in, especially if its the CPU fan.

By it from www.newegg.com. A new heatsink/fan combo should only put you back about $15-20. Check them out:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...property&DEPA=0

Paul