Need help with ATI 4.8

dorguy

Kaspin...does your method install SmartGart?  does it work on xpsp2?

Yes, it installs SmartGART when it runs setup.exe from the drivers package. and it does work fine on SP2

Is this how my batch file should look?  I only plan on installing the ATI driver for my unattended.  Does it work with 4.8 drivers on SP2?

That syntax is meant to be used with RunOnceEx as outlined here: http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/runonceex.htm

If you're using a different batch, then you should use:

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll %systemdrive%\Drivers\020_Radeon\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll %systemdrive%\Install\ATI_CPanel\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss

you need a couple lines after @echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

the first one sets the %KEY% variable, which is used in every subsequent line in the file. second line sets the Title of the RunOnceEx window and can be whatever you want (change the words in the quotes)

I probably won't get a chance to try this out for a while, but I did read through the release notes. First thing I noticed is that it requires .NET Framework 1.1, so that will need to be installed before Control Center. It also replaces the Classic Control Panel, so this would replace that (possibly SmartGART too??)

The tricky part lies in the fact that the Control Center isn't for all of the Radeon cards (only 9500 and up), so you'd have to determine which model card is installed, then install the appriopriate software package.

yeah, but they also provide a driver package that has control panel and center. the thing is that center is supposed to install over panel and then all the panel functions are acailable in center. but yeah i also notice the .net 1.1 must be installed.

So i got .net framework to install from svcpack.inf using an sfx archive. (its all in the unattended area). I also have wmp10 installing from svcpack.inf (sfx archive). Now its just getting control center to install from runonceex? any ideas?

There are 3 parts to the Catalyst Drivers.

What I call "drivers package" is wxp-w2k-8-042-040803a-016701c.exe. You can extract these files, and include the folder with the .inf files in OemPnPDriversPath. This will install just the drivers. I include the setup.exe from this, to also install SmartGART....(edited for content)

Then there's the Control Panel package. This installs all the stuff in the control panel except for SmartGART.

The last package is the WDM Drivers. These are needed if you have an all-in-wonder or VIVO card and want to use those features. I haven't gotten around to testing these yet, but it's supposed to be installed before the display drivers (just add the WDM_XP folder to OemPnPDriversPath before 2KXP_INF) *Edited by DT*

Umm... No you actually install the WDM drivers second before the control panel, as when it's installing from the full package download. That is how it just installed on my system because I installed it to test it while writing this, (need to reboot now, but done it for sake of argument.) The order of installation went as this:

• Display
  • WDM
  • Control Panel
  • DirectX 9 (can skip if using SP2)
  • Windows Media Encoder (also can skip if using SP2)
  • DAO/MDAC
  • DVD Decoder
  • MMC
  • Here you can install the Hydravision if you want it, I personally dont use it.
  • Remote Wonder

Though the new instructions show a MMC with everything but the dvd, I have yet to see this download as it's broken into three parts and is beyond the version 7 that is shown there, it's now up to version 9.x. Anyway, that was how I was personally told by ATI when I called their tech support one day to find out how to install their drivers/mmc on Windows XP, as I was having a problem with installation at one time, which has since been taken care of and was due to an O/S problem I was having at the time, needless to say, this is the correct way to install their stuff, now to make it so it installs silently, that's the problem, though not really because there are threads here in the forum that show how. The problem then lies in doing it as an all-in-one pack such as the one Bâshrat's making.

*EDIT*The tricky part lies in the fact that the Control Center isn't for all of the Radeon cards (only 9500 and up), so you'd have to determine which model card is installed, then install the appriopriate software package.*Edited by DT*

This is taken care of in the installer, it will only install on the 9500 and up, though the original is supposed to install on all of them, (no luck when installing the older one the other day on my AIW-9000 Pro though,) So you can still use it when installing on the older cards, it just wont install the new control center. (The newer one is the package I used when testing the installation above.)

Umm... No you actually install the WDM drivers second before the control panel, as when it's installing from the full package download.  That is how it just installed on my system because I installed it to test it while writing this, (need to reboot now, but done it for sake of argument.)

Like I stated earlier, the release notes for the WDM drivers (found here: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wdm_4.05v2.html ) say, WDM first, then Display drivers. The WDM drivers can be installed through the .inf in OemPnPPath, but as Bashrat pointed out, you can't really control the order in which those go anyways.

and for the new Control Center, I'm sure the installer won't complete on a system without an appropriate card, however, It'd be nice to avoid it running at all when it's not needed.