SP2 - what to leave out now?

Since SP2 is finished, i wonder what's included and thus can be deleted from the unattended CD which was based on SP1 + patches.

I know SP2 includes WMP9, DirectX 9.0c and pretty much all the hotfixes. But what about things like js56nde.exe, vbs56nde.exe, msjavwu.exe? Are those also obsolete now?

Or you can use SP2 as an opportunity for a fresh start and use the Sun Java VM instead :)

I'm using that already. So when i install from slipstreamed SP2, MS JVM isn't even installed? But if it is, of course i wanna have the latest version, even if i don't use it. I'm weird like that :rolleyes:

Or you can use SP2 as an opportunity for a fresh start and use the Sun Java VM instead :)

I'm using that already. So when i install from slipstreamed SP2, MS JVM isn't even installed? But if it is, of course i wanna have the latest version, even if i don't use it. I'm weird like that :rolleyes:

MS took the JVM out of their service packs from Win2K SP4 and WinXP SP1a onward.

As soon as Sun has a clean Win32 version, I'll add it too. Much as I like Sun, always have loved thier boxes (21 inch Sonys all those years ago), and prefer a "real" OS (Solaris) coded by professioinals a million times over some freeware coded by a zillion non-commited Sunday afternoon programmers (Linux), I really don't think they are too interested in, or commited to, those Windows applications, and it shows!

Haven't we been there before, RyanVM? In any event: good to see you back around!

As soon as Sun has a clean Win32 version, I'll add it too. Much as I like Sun, always have loved thier boxes (21 inch Sonys all those years ago), and prefer a "real" OS (Solaris) coded by professioinals a million times over some freeware coded by a zillion non-commited Sunday afternoon programmers (Linux), I really don't think they are too interested in, or commited to, those Windows applications, and it shows!

Haven't we been there before, RyanVM? In any event: good to see you back around!

Yeah, I think I've heard that one a few times before from you :)

Glad to be back :rolleyes:.

While were on the MSJVM topic...

Is the latest fix any good? If i used it will i have any problems with many web pages or programs like azureus?

Im not a big fan of suns java

I've been using Java 5.0 beta 2 (renamed from 1.5.0) and it's been solid for me.

Well! I did a clean install with my new unattended SP2 cd and the only fixes available at windowsupadte were these 4 (all in Optionnal):

-Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer

-Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

-Windows Messenger 4.7

-Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)

Note that my cd didnd't contained ANY hotfixes (type 1 and 2)... I emptied the folders before burning the ISO just to see how many I would get at windowsupdate.

So there you have it. An unattended SP2 cd containing NO hotfixes whatsoever should give you the same results.

Odd, I slipstreamed SP2 into a Gold (i.e. Non SP1) VLC CD (MSDN Version), and Windows Messenger was already updated. The only optional updates missing are Journal Viewer, DotNet Framework and HighMAT. Are you sure that WMS 4.7 was listed? When you start WMS (without having updated it), what does it show as a version number? Mine is 4.7.3000, Copyright 2004.

Odd, I slipstreamed SP2 into a Gold (i.e. Non SP1) VLC CD (MSDN Version), and Windows Messenger was already updated. The only optional updates missing are Journal Viewer, DotNet Framework and HighMAT. Are you sure that WMS 4.7 was listed? When you start WMS (without having updated it), what does it show as a version number? Mine is 4.7.3000, Copyright 2004.

Yeah! It's listed alright! I found out why tho. I have it disable during install via a regedit. I reinstalled it (to check) and went back to windowsupdate. It wasn't listed anymore. Strange tho! One would think that windowsupdate would see the program even tho it's not active.