Hitachi releases water-cooled notebook PC

Snoop

Hitachi Ltd. has announced the commercial launch of its water-cooled notebook PC, a 1.8GHz mobile Pentium 4-based machine which uses a patented Hitachi system to aid heat dissipation.

Most notebooks are cooled by air fans, and as processors have grown more powerful and begun to generate more heat, these fans have become more numerous, larger, and have needed to spin faster.

This has also meant that fans have become noisier and might not be suitable for use in places like libraries, Hitachi said.

The new Flora 270W Silent Model uses a water-based solution tank, instead of a fan or fans for cooling down the processor. Hitachi announced a working prototype using this technology in February.

"The efficiency of a water cooling system and the air cooling system are about the same but the biggest difference is the noise the latter creates," said Masayuki Akabane, a Hitachi spokesman.

full story http://www.itworld.com/Comp/1345/020718hitachi/

maybe we will start to see water cooled desktop PC's from Packard Bell ,TINY etc sometime soon.

I would love to see an aftermarket water cooling device made by Antec or Chieftec,Thermaltake,or the like that you can just fit right on to an Athlon 1.4.Solid idea that overclockers have been using for awhile.

Not so sure about that Drew... The heat is still generated, and has to go somewhere once the liquid takes it away from the source. It is a matter of how the heat leaves the laptop. Now, most fans direct the heat out of vents that tend to be on sides and bottom - or right onto your "lap". If the heat from the liquid is directed out of the case the same way, I am not sure you will notice much difference in the apparent temp. It will be quieter though.

i agree with ls dragons,

most the water cooled pc's overclockers use have radiators with fans attached to keep the water as cool as possible.

it sounds like hitachi have done away with fans altogether in an attempt to make it as quiet as possible.

it would be intresting to see if the water goes mouldy lol.

i cant imagine many of the notebook users changing the water and adding water wetter myself

it will be water BASED, so it will probably be something like the green liquid in car / bike radiators.

zipp... i think thermaltake do make a water cooling system, im not 100% on it - but im sure they do

• 3 weeks later...
it will be water BASED, so it will probably be something like the green liquid in car / bike radiators.

I just can't imagine going from filling my car with anti-freeze, to filling a laptop with anti-freeze. :)

• 1 month later...

DJ, you wont have to fill it i expect, once it has the liquid put in it by the manufacturer thats it i expect, like ELITE said you wont get users putting water weter in to stop corrosion and mould growing like in desktop water systems, why people with desktop water coolers dont use some of the green stuff from car/bike radiators is beyond me :)

Green Stuff? Haha! You mean Anti-Freeze. Good idea...I'm sure that Hitachi would use some solution besides just plain water. I tell you, my new laptop generates so much heat it makes me sweat! I have to set it on a pillow or something so it doesn't burn my darn legs off! I have looked up laptop pads but they are more for cooling (additional fans) rather than keeping the laptop from burning your legs off! Somebody needs to design a pad that will go on the laptop to act as a heat sink that dissapates out the side instead of the bottom!

Rick :)

Hehe ... Maybe, soon, we'll have Xtreme computing:

"Wanna be the first person to play UT2003 on the top of Mount Everest?? Buy Mutumusaki computers! Keeping you well above 90 degrees (Celsius)"

or

"Deep sea computing inc. presents, the waterproof watercooled watercoloured PC!! From only 999$! Call now and get free diving equipment!"

God I love the world :)