Registry Tweaks, Part-1

Outlook data folder! Finally! Mac, you da man! :)

I'm incorporating the XP version and I'll tell you how it goes, but I'm also wondering - how to set up a default Outlook profile (with just the PST file in your custom folder). Perhaps it doesn't matter, as it will be created the first time the user opens Outlook, but I'd still like to know.

Thanks again!

JP

Here are two new Adobe Reader one I found. I know this one has been posted before:

;-----Disable Adobe EULA-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer]
"EULA"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer]
"EULA"=dword:00000001

But here are two other ones:

;-----Disable Adobe automatic updates-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\Updater]
"iUpdateFrequency"=dword:00000000

;-----Turn off Adobe splash screen-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\Originals]
"bDisplayAboutDialog"=dword:00000000

XtremeMaC,

I just did a clean build with your Outlook tweak (using Office XP SP3), and it DID create an Outlook.pst file in the folder I specified. But unfortunately, Outlook also comes up with a dialog box at startup (but it DOES start up):

IDENTITY SWITCH CANCELLED

The current identity could not be changed because one of the applications was unable to switch.  Close any open dialog boxes in other applications before trying again.

Further, Outlook Express has the same message and won't even start.

Any thoughts? Perhaps this is an Office 2003-only tweak?

Thanks,

JP

UPDATE: Sorry, my bad. Your tweak works fine for Office XP. I had some other registry tweaks in there that was messing up the works.

Here's one I found, that may be usefull to some people...

You can disable the OS2 Posix / Posix subsystems that gets run by Windows by removing the following entries from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems

Delete these entries:

Optional

Posix

This requires a reboot.

Personally, I'm not entirely sure what else it will affect in Windows, but I'm trying it out anyway :)

Is there a tweak to increase the number of folders that Explorer "remembers" the settings for? It's 100 (I think), and I'd like to increase that number.

I'm pretty sure I read one somewhere once, but I forget.

;Removes Folder settings and then increases the remembering of folder settings from 400 to 1000
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:000003e8
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:000003e8

If you want to preserve existing folder settings, remove:

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

That would reset folder settings back to defaults, aaron. I think you mean export those registry keys, then import them after you reinstall windows.

SP2 by default remembers a large number of folders, over 400. You don't need the reghack on sp2, you do need it on sp1 or lower.

-gosh

How to hide hard drives and restrict access to them using the Regsitry.

Dont confuse this as unhiding a drive thats hidden in the MBR, this is in windows only. So you will still need to use something such as PM8 or another disk manager to unhide that as its nothing to do with the OS.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a Dword value called NoDrives - its value will corespond to which drive(s) need to be hidden.

A: 1, B: 2, C: 4, D: 8, E: 16, F: 32, G: 64, H: 128, I: 256, J: 512, K: 1024, L: 2048, M: 4096, N: 8192, O: 16384, P: 32768, Q: 65536, R: 131072, S: 262144, T: 524288, U: 1048576, V: 2097152, W: 4194304, X: 8388608, Y: 16777216, Z: 33554432

With these same decimal values you can also do a different tweak, you can leave the drive letter visible, but make it so the user cant view the content of the drive and also stop them using - Run, Map Network Drive, or DIR.

Create a new Dword value called NoViewOnDrive and use the appropriate decimal value from above.