167°F CPU Temp

magicfly

Hi guys! i know what are you thinking now...

it's a very high temperature, i got many hangouts during the last month watching DVD and surfing on the internet at the same time and i didn't know what to do (i thought it was a drivers problem) and what it depends....

so i found out that's my cpu temperature by using Gigabyte Utility Manager and setting BIOS Alarm...so i'm just goin' to change my dissipator. you can see my specs below...

the question is: is there a little chance to have damaged my cpu? :)

THANK YOU SINCERELY FOR YOUR (SINCERE) ANSWERS

167F? god knows what happens in there

does your computer get direct sun light or something? how's it possible to go that high?

is it the mb? if so throw it out of the window or its the ati?

what the heck? shutdown your comp b4 something else happens

whats the interior cpu voltage? maybe u set it too high?

no. there's no direct light overthere.

i get the info read on gigabyte utility manager:

CPU FAN = 2800 RPM

CPU VOLTAGE = 1.525V

DRAM = 2.600V

AGP = 1.500 V

i think it's the mobo because i can read the temperature onto that (please note that i never have overclocked)

however it's strange because now i'm reading 85/90°F i think they are normal values for a CPU, so what's happening? any idea please?

Take some ice packs, seal them in "zip-loc" bags or something, and stick them on your mobo... That's way too hot... Actually, the heat might melt the bags... Get a water cooler! :rolleyes:

Your CPU shouldn't be running at such a high temperature... Some damage could have been done if your speeds are slower! :)

Damaged CPUs either run or they don't because they are dead. There is usually no in between. Get a bigger heatsink/fan or at least make sure the one you have is clean from dust bunnies...

Is that a 2.8E series chip (Prescott)? I've got one @ the office that I consider hot @ 120F...they are however a *very* warm CPU...and...if you are running a Prescott the fan will spin much higher than 2800RPM while the chip is under load for a while...

...what HSF are you using?

sorry, what's HSF?

however my mobo is a gigabyte 8ipe1000 pro2, you can see the specs in thisLINK

and i have a P4 2800 MHZ. The cpu fan rolls at 2800/2900 rpm and i think it's on the standard. I installed yesterday a new case with an additional side fan so it should lower the temperature

Either your Temperture Probe is smoking some good sh** or you need to move to Alaska and re-sell some of that heat to the locals..that way you can earn enough money to purchase a new motherboard with a proper CPU Monitoring Chip. :) ...does your Video Card have a Fan...is it working...or do you just have Cooling Fins w/o Fan. Also you never mentioned any Case Fans...generally its a good rule to have at least two...one in the rear and one in the front....

now guys, i think to have noticed an incompatibility with the program PC WIZARD 2004 (do you know that? ). See LINK

That's because it happens that when i go to check the "temperature section" suddenly i have an increase of temp from 30°C to 75°C and i think it's impossible it happens in 2 seconds....

could it be a bug of that program? also putting my hand near the CPU i'm sure that there isn't that hell near

This case has 3 fans, 1 at the side, 1 front and 1 rear

Hey man, I think it's one of two things or both...

I have read on other websites problems with the ATI radeon and Gigbtye board combo. something to do with the capacitors on the motherboard can't handle the card without a bios flash update...

but on the other hand that's more offtopic..

getting back to your problem, i think it is the heatsink on your processor.

Did you have this problem before, or did it just start? what have you changed on your computer lately, or modifeid?...

Make sure all the Fans are spinning properly...

Out of curiosity, is it a Prescott Chip?

Because i used to have a intel 2.4 533 FSB with 512L2 Cache, Then I went out and got a Intel Prescott 2.8ghz, 800FSB with 1mb cache. And dawn i was soo surprised how much the temp went up... (Even though my friend warned me) :)

with my older processor at idle speed it would run no hotter than 34C. and no hotter than 47c while playing high-end games 7 hr straight. (URT 2004)

but now my new processor runs idle speed at 41c~44c. While playing games like farCry for example, about after 5 hours it gets to about 52c.!1! And i have a 100% Copper Heatpipe on that badboy. Also iam using Artic Silver 5 (WebSite) paste to get the maxime performance. the heat sink is from AeroCool (WebSite) "Hightower Series". i changed both fans with blue led fans from Vantec (WebSite)

if your still using that orginal hunk of almun metal that intel calls a heatsink, throw it away and at least get an %100 copper heatsink, or a %100 copper heatpipe. use some real heat paste and i guarantee you can drop the temp 10c or more using passive fan cooling. as long as your case has proper fresh airflow. Beleive me it really works when you use the right stuff!

And the other thing that i think it could be is software related like you stated above.

try booting into safemode and than run some app's to see if they cause any problems.

Have you updated all your drivers, and moboard drivers to the lastest versons? Update your bios to current version?

Sometimes F*%king and tweaking with your system too much will cause problems. try a fresh install of Your OS.

P.S.> i would recommend a good heatpipe for your Video Card. I think the one that Zalman (WebSite) offers will be good enough, although iam not fimmlair with all thier products.

Oh the hell with it, just get WaterCooled insted...LOL :rolleyes:

I Say WaterCool The b***h All the Way Baby :D

hope this helps.. :D

Hi Blam, Hi guys! :)

my processor is a clear pentium 4 2.800 GhZ no overclocked no modified, because i don't like overclock (maybe i'm the only one, but i prefer to get what i buy, anything more) and i noticed this problem so..suddenly.

My case is quite fresh, 3 fans and 1 fan for cpu, and it's enough for my needs, however i don't know what can cause this problem.

maybe i'll try a clean installation of WinXP. This morning i updated to the latest audio driver (Realtek AC97 Codec) and video (Catalyst 053), I don't have the latest BIOS update because on the last update there are prescott enhancements and i don't have a prescott, so i stopped one release before the last one (F5).

However THANKS A LOT for everybody who reply here, you guys are very kind :rolleyes: , just hope to solve my problem asap