Fighting with Windows Update.

Sfor

I'm trying to get Windows Update service under control. There is a lot of articles in the Internet saying, the only way to get automatic updates disabled is to get Windows Update service disabled.

Unfortunately, all my attemps to get Windows Update service to be turned off, failed. The service gets turned on after a while.

I presume, there were some changes in newer versions of Windows 10, and the old ways are not working, any more.

Right now I'm dealing with 22H2 version.

Have you tried Windows Update Blocker? WUB 1.7 works on 21H2 without problem. You can also pause Windows Update until EOS by editing registry.

You can check here first:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

Then editing PauseFeatureUpdatesEndTime, PauseQualityUpdatesEndTime, and PauseUpdatesExpiryTime. But I prefer disabling WU instead of pausing it.

Edited by halohalo

I would need to check a few things from home.

Unsure if it is Windows Update Blocker that I use or not.

I think I have a way solely via .bat file.  But Windows Firewall and Base Filtering Engine services should also both be disabled to prevent Windows Update from turning itself back on.

There is also a Windows Update "task" set in Computer Management >> System Tools >> Task Scheduler >> Task Scheduler Library >> Microsoft >> Windows >> WindowsUpdate that should also be disabled.

I just use Configure Automatic Updates in gpedit.msc, works for client versions, not just server, at least as long you're not stuck with Home edition or something. Never got a single update that way.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy/4-configure-group-policy-settings-for-automatic-updates#configure-automatic-updates

On 9/17/2024 at 10:24 AM, halohalo said:

Have you tried Windows Update Blocker? WUB 1.7 works on 21H2 without problem.

Indeed Windows Update Blocker 1.8 did the job. I did not use the Protect Service Settings feature, however.

On the note WUB disabled more than just the Windows Update. Apparently some other services were responsible for turning the Windows Update back on.

Also, after the WUB did the job, the Windows Update was set disabled. But, after system reboot, Windows Update returned to the manual start, again. Good thing is it was not runnig.

On 9/17/2024 at 11:24 AM, UCyborg said:

I just use Configure Automatic Updates in gpedit.msc, works for client versions, not just server, at least as long you're not stuck with Home edition or something. Never got a single update that way.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy/4-configure-group-policy-settings-for-automatic-updates#configure-automatic-updates

It did not work for me. Well, not in Windows 10. I was able to force the Windows Update to ask for permition before downloading, but not to disable the nagging for updates after every login.

Hate any program that automatically updates, even firefox. You can add this to the registry and update manually only:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ManagePreviewBuilds"=dword:00000001
"ManagePreviewBuildsPolicyValue"=dword:00000000
"TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="22H2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001