Windows 3.1 on Dell Latitude 5490

GD 2W10

...in FreeDos, and if FD isn't patched Win3x will only work in Standard Mode

youtu . be / R0P8B9d9hho

anyway, interesting :)

I think it's possible to patch it to run 3.1 in enhanced mode

can you try to boot an early chicago build? https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_95

well I'm interested in 81 https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_95_build_81 since it's the first one to have the start menu and the close button

Edited by sonyu

Windows 3.11 works in Enhanced Mode with Intel 13th Gen CPU using MS-DOS 6.22 and no patches. Disk hardware is quite important in this situation. Furthermore, you can get PCI sound (even if you're using a PCI-E to PCI bridge chip) and, usually, the on board PCI-E gigabit card can be used with NDIS drivers.

youtube .com/watch?v=nqyF6ZlT-Pw

Windows_3.11_Intel_13100.jpg

23 hours ago, sonyu said:

...in FreeDos, and if FD isn't patched Win3x will only work in Standard Mode

youtu . be / R0P8B9d9hho

anyway, interesting :)

I think it's possible to patch it to run 3.1 in enhanced mode

can you try to boot an early chicago build? https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_95

well I'm interested in 81 https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_95_build_81 since it's the first one to have the start menu and the close button

I’ve gotten Windows 98 and ME working. I will try Chicago 81 and 95 in a bit.

19 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

I’ve gotten Windows 98 and ME working. I will try Chicago 81 and 95 in a bit.

in freedos?

I've never seen 9x in freedos, can you upload YT video?

did you tried betaarchive files / procedure?

Edited by sonyu

This isn't 9x on FreeDOS, that's why I'm asking for 95 build "81" on FreeDOS 

Thanks for sharing YT of 98 on kaby lake

Edited by sonyu

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, sonyu said:

This isn't 9x on FreeDOS, that's why I'm asking for 95 build "81" on FreeDOS 

Thanks for sharing YT of 98 on kaby lake

idk if ill be able to get 95 81 on real hardware, i cant even get 95 osr2 working, even with the fix95cpu fix. but MattKC installed 98 on FreeDOS

Edited by GD 2W10

2 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

but MattKC installed 98 on FreeDOS

No. He didn't installed 98 on FreeDOS, he only used FreeDOS as a bootdisk (like we all have done in the past) to install 98 which comes with its MS-DOS version... 

Currently is only possible to install 3.1 on FreeDOS, that's why I'm asking if you succeed with chicago.

Edited by sonyu

4 hours ago, sonyu said:

No. He didn't installed 98 on FreeDOS, he only used FreeDOS as a bootdisk (like we all have done in the past) to install 98 which comes with its MS-DOS version... 

Currently is only possible to install 3.1 on FreeDOS, that's why I'm asking if you succeed with chicago.

Ok I will try 95 81 later

13 hours ago, sonyu said:

Yea I just tried it. I tried running it without switches and with the /I and /id switch. It complained about not finding a valid MS-DOS partition

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 6:51 AM, GD 2W10 said:

idk if ill be able to get 95 81 on real hardware, i cant even get 95 osr2 working, even with the fix95cpu fix. but MattKC installed 98 on FreeDOS

I'm pretty sure you can't use other versions of DOS than the one bundled with Win9x when installing it. It may be because these versions of MS DOS are made to specifically work with Win9x and other DOS may not be configured in Windows's best interests (or should I say, Microsoft's best interests, yeah that was a thing back then, AARD code, if I'm correct.)
Also, no MattKC didn't install 98 on FreeDOS, that was definitely MSDOS bundled and installed with 98.

On 3/10/2024 at 8:31 PM, GD 2W10 said:

Yea I just tried it. I tried running it without switches and with the /I and /id switch. It complained about not finding a valid MS-DOS partition

Have you tried making a partition in Fdisk? Also I wouldn't recommend making a partition larger than 2 GB (you really don't need even close to that amount, but ok)