XP and new CPU

Asp

• 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

@Dietmar

Sorry, didn't get notified of this reply. The new CPU is 4 cores. So sure it will work, one way or another. Still yet to install it, will advise on the result when  I do.

Mobo is Intel DH61WW. Current CPU Intel Pentium G2020

New CPU is Intel i5-3570, 3.4GHz 4 core

RAM is maxed at 16GB, though Win XP only using 4GB. (Have a disk with Linux Mint to transition eventually.)

Edited by Asp

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@Asp

this CPU and amount of RAM are not actual issues for Windows XP users. I mean that I guess you will work on this configuration without problem.

P.S. Intel 3xxx series is not new CPU. Even for Windows XP. We publish many information around the web. I recommend to search in the web before in future, because search is good way to find people who researchs your issue exactly.

Edited by DrunkenTanker

22 hours ago, DrunkenTanker said:

@Asp

this CPU and amount of RAM are not actual issues for Windows XP users. I mean that I guess you will work on this configuration without problem.

P.S. Intel 3xxx series is not new CPU. Even for Windows XP. We publish many information around the web. I recommend to search in the web before in future, because search is good way to find people who researchs your issue exactly.

The question was not whether XP will work on such a system, as pretty obviously it will, it was whether an existing installation will continue to work if the CPU is changed. or whether I need to reinstall.

I'll just have to suck it and see,

Patronising posts that just say "Google it" aren't helpful, except make you feel superior.

Upgrading the CPU just will just work. In 2021 I upgraded from an AMD Phenom II X4 905e to an AMD FX-8320E. So I went from 4 cores to 8 cores. Windows XP recognized it just fine without reinstalling Windows. You can see all the threads in the Task manager.

this might be a good time to point out the 4 GB mem limit with a different example

harddrives passed the 4 GB limit far earlier then the ram did (this one almost passed it in 1989)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hard_disk_drives#1980s,_the_transition_to_the_PC_era

so when the common assumtion is "32 wires / 32 bit" are just 4 GB limit that is not fully correct

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/minwinbase/ns-minwinbase-overlapped

this structure has 2 , 32 bit (high and low) offset addresses that are combined to a 64 bit address

so going with the logic "32 wires are the 32 bit 4 GB limit" -> according to this a 32 bit/wire bus can only address 4 GB - and therefore cant address more then 4 GB is also not correct

i think everybody gets the point here, there was harddrives bigger then 4 GB before XP even existed - even a IDE bus with 32 wires+ is not limited to that 

1 core of 4 ghz speed (with 1 clock/cycle/1s tick) already would be:

4000000000 * 32 bit bus - that would  be 14 GigaByte/s

a other good thing with 32 bit is that it is also a PDE question (a page directory entry base register) points to a list of "memory entrys"

this PDE is changed every app/process/executable

so what this can do is that these entrys point to a different location in the physical memory (and therefore we have 4 GB per each app)

these dont use the same memory and can point into other memory - to point other the 2 (pse physical size extension, pae physical address extension)  (these also can be combined)

but the hardware can have limits 

or the software is not able to do so

so you need both the software performing the code and the hardware having the needs

paging and segments where some words in the past