Where i can download ACPI 2.0 drivers (ACPI v6666) for Windows XP?

DeLoreanTimeMachine22

I downloaded the package out of curiosity and I can see it going up to 23 - acpi 7777.8 - 2023.04.17 - A5x11+A5x03 which I assume it's the latest one.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between this and the original ACPI implementation available on XP?

Gotcha!

I don't see an inf file, though, do I just swap it with the one in C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers ?

EDIT: Well, after backing up I did exactly that and nothing bad happened so I guess it's working xD

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

EDIT: Well, after backing up I did exactly that and nothing bad happened so I guess it's working xD

Did you disable Windows File Protection before swapping? If you didn't, it reverts to the original acpi.sys file (version 5.1.2600.5512.)

9 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Did you disable Windows File Protection before swapping? If you didn't, it reverts to the original acpi.sys file (version 5.1.2600.5512.)

Right, yeah, it brought back the original one:

yxKt3Ba.png

Is there a non so brutal way to update the driver?

Edited by FranceBB

If you don't have a modern motherboard that crashes with normal ACPI, then you probably won't benefit from the update. If it the PC crashes during installation, you need to brutally include the file into the ISO/CD.

The backup copy is stored in a folder called dllcache where you could delete it from to prevent it being restored.

5 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Is there a non so brutal way to update the driver?

You can use Replacer to replace system files, which is an alternative way if you don't want to disable Windows File Protection to replace acpi.sys with the patched acpi.sys.

Edited by mina7601

13 hours ago, j7n said:

The backup copy is stored in a folder called dllcache

Thanks! That did the trick.

I backed up the original ACPI.sys in a safe location on my disk.

Then, I swapped acpi.sys both in C:\Windows\system32\drivers and C:\Windows\dllcache with the latest one and indeed it worked:

7KrnW1M.png

I'm now running on version 5.1.2600.7777.8 and everything seems to work just fine.

I even tried to use the ACPI Shutdown command and the PC received it just fine and shut itself down. Looks good. :) 

13 hours ago, j7n said:

If you don't have a modern motherboard that crashes with normal ACPI, then you probably won't benefit from the update. If it the PC crashes during installation, you need to brutally include the file into the ISO/CD.

Yeah, this is an old installation, so I probably won't benefit from the upgrade, but it was nice seeing that XP reacted well and played nicely once I used the new ACPI driver.

The battery % also looks good

bGlQgUL.png

12 hours ago, mina7601 said:

You can use Replacer to replace system files, which is an alternative way if you don't want to disable Windows File Protection to replace acpi.sys with the patched acpi.sys.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in my utility section. ;) 

• 4 weeks later...