Disable/Remove Windows Defender Firewall

NotHereToPlayGames

In my 2016 LTSB Win10, I could disable Windows Defender Firewall.  I am aware of the "risks" associated with this - My computer, My rules, lol.

I am in-process of upgrading two laptops to 2019 LTSC Win10 and the Windows Defender Firewall can no longer be disabled.    :realmad:  :crazy:  :puke:

This ( https://github.com/ionuttbara/windows-defender-remover ) looked promising but tons of errors in the console window during execution and Windows Defender Firewall is still enabled.    :}

Any suggestions or alternative solutions?    Thanks in advance.

There's another thing you could try. There's Windows Ameliorated. Basically they used to provided a modified Iso of windows with all telemetry removed, all metro apps removed and even the activation was removed altogether. They got in trouble with MS because of that so they don't offer ready made isos anymore. They do offer a tool that lets you remove whatever you want from Windows. Maybe you can remove Windows firewall and Defender with it.

Here's what they say in the website:

Windows catalogs certain system services and internal programs as components. AME Wizard will decrypt and enumerate the files and services contained by these components, providing an easy interface for their removal.

Due to its non-destructive nature, this process is distinctly different than force-deleting files, as it surgically removes components in their entirety.

Edited by tekkaman

How old is the media it was installed from? Wouldn't suspect Win10 1809 based OS is anything special unless something was added with updates or LTSC variant is somehow special in that regard as well.

Edited by UCyborg

From what I have seen Windows Firewall on recent Windows versions it's turned off if you install another firewall. The thing is, many security software pretend to have a firewall when they just rely on Windows firewall and all they do is provide another GUI for it.

I think maybe the only way is to use the Ameliorate tools to remove protected services and files from Windows.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

LTSC is a version of 21H2.

Ouch, no experience with this one...I suspect it's like Win11, where it's stubborn to hell, so there's probably no clean way to disable it.

Why MS insists on making stubborn software and breaking all old (and sane!) conventions? Let me turn off the services that aren't essential for Windows to work!

Edited by UCyborg

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For now I am opting to revert to 2016 LTSB.  I have ZERO use for "Windows Defender" and I'm not keen on running an OS with useless and unneeded "overhead" running in the background.

While the modern ntlite may not be the most convenient tool, people write it still can do this in Windows 10 LTSC 2019 but it's paid, not sure if it fits you.

I can't give the link to the post because that site is known to store carcked software.

Basically they wrote you need to go to:

Components / Windows Apps / System Apps / Uncheck Windows Defender, hit Apply.

Then need to go to Settings / Windows Defender / Open Windows Defender and Disable, hit Apply.

There were multiple confirmations it worked in Windows 10 LTSC 2019.