XP antivirus/firewall

NotHereToPlayGames

For those trying to follow the XP antivirus/firewall thread(s), may I ask which program you are using?

I have given Windows 10 Firewall Control Free XP a trial-run and it seems okay and LIGHTWEIGHT.

I have "never" been a fan of antivirus because they have always SLOWED DOWN MY COMPUTER (afterall, we are talking older computers).

I would like a "small list" of antivirus programs that the followers of the antivirus/firewall thread IS ACTUALLY USING and I'd like to perform some actual "performance comparisons" (ie, effect on actual computer "speed").

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I have "never" been a fan of antivirus because they have always SLOWED DOWN MY COMPUTER (afterall, we are talking older computers).

it's stupid to leave it scanning your computer nonstop if you don't download software programs

I have yet to find a website with malicious JS code that would infect my computer with a single mouse click.

AVAST is by far the BEST AV for XP these days, fast and efective enough

11 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'd like to perform some actual "performance comparisons" (ie, effect on actual computer "speed").

I "must" have a "number", I do not go by "gut feelings". :cool:

I personally do not think actual threats even exist!  Not for the net-savvy MSFNer.
I also don't think anybody here uses those antivirus threads to actually pick an antivirus product and start using it.
I am in the camp that nobody here at MSFN (aside from maybe THREE of us) actually run antivirus.
But what do I know?

At the bare minimum, it has been abundantly clear that OVER 95% of the "likes" and "upvotes" in these XP antivirus threads come from "members" that not only do not run XP, but also do not run antivirus on their non-XP.

I cite again the average age (don't care if you're not over 40, I cite the average), makes me think this is what the early stages of Alzheimer's looks like, all of us talking to ourselves and thinking others are listening.

The vast majority of "likes" and "upvotes" have more to do with political spectrum agreeance than actual topic/post "content" - Ooh, Professor X just posted something, I better sign in and hit the Like Button!

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

On 8/12/2023 at 1:40 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For those trying to follow the XP antivirus/firewall thread(s), may I ask which program you are using?

Try the PLus edition, not expiration date only a nag that go away when press refresh (green button), and so you can set advanced configuration.

Plus seconfig XP and WWDC (softpedia.com) your patch to hardening go with the wind. netbios over cpip must be reenable in devmgmt.msc after seconfig XP

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by upadi

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Am I blind or none of these anti-virus threads discuss actual threats? :blink:

there are some people (super annoying at times) obsessed with every new virus definition or security threats and they spend a huge amount of time researching a way to prevent future infections.

I have shared my thoughts based on my own virus scannig (''guts feeling'') unlike others who mostly do a copy paste of the original AV overview  and think it's actually a review :blink:

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

At the bare minimum, it has been abundantly clear that OVER 95% of the "likes" and "upvotes" in these XP antivirus threads come from "members" that not only do not run XP, but also do not run antivirus on their non-XP.

I cite again the average age (don't care if you're not over 40, I cite the average), makes me think this is what the early stages of Alzheimer's looks like, all of us talking to ourselves and thinking others are listening.

The vast majority of "likes" and "upvotes" have more to do with political spectrum agreeance than actual topic/post "content" - Ooh, Professor X just posted something, I better sign in and hit the Like Button!

Look at your "likes" and "upvotes" of the quoted post! I think the number of real Windows XP users converges towards zero, unfortunately. But one thing I can definitely say, I am a genuine Windows XP user:yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

25 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I think the number of real Windows XP users converges towards zero, unfortunately. But one thing I can definitely say, I am a genuine Windows XP user:yes:

AGREED!  AS AM I (I can't use XP at work, obviously, but two of three daily-used PCs run XP here at home, the third runs Win7).

If this wasn't "mixed in" with the rest of that post, I'd give you a green sticker to place on the refrigerator (that's all they are worth but the forum admins have every right to enable this feature).

Heck, I can think of one, maybe two past members, that were RAN OFF OF MSFN for their use of the "like" button.

I can think of at least seven "members" (myself included!) that I would personally challenge to NOT POST ANY LIKES OR UPVOTES FOR THE REMAINDER OF AUGUST.

But I already know which ones would be "against" and even which ones would be "for" - so why bother.

A "challenge" to see who can last the longest, lol.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

On 8/12/2023 at 9:40 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Here's a blast from the past that I'm still using. ZoneAlarm. But not the later bloatware versions but back when it was lean and mean... v2.6

zl.jpg.c66c34aff04c76226d628a9ef08018e1.jpg

Its use as a firewall is mostly redundant as nowadays that kind of stuff is handled at the router, but as an egress filter I still find it very useful. I'm still routinely disappointed how the first thing some 'legitimate' software wants to do is to phone home.

I also think it's a good protection against malware that rides on the back of another program and whose job it is to open the door to the fetching of the real nasty. ZoneAlarm will warn when a program you weren't expecting tries to connect to the internet.

Ben.

21 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

At the bare minimum, it has been abundantly clear that OVER 95% of the "likes" and "upvotes" in these XP antivirus threads come from "members" that not only do not run XP

indeed I don't much like to deal with those who don't use XP on a daily basis

screenshot-1.png

screenshot-2.png

On 8/12/2023 at 10:40 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I have given Windows 10 Firewall Control Free XP a trial-run and it seems okay and LIGHTWEIGHT.

Very good choice! Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus XP has been my favourite firewall for many, many years. :thumbup In the Plus version, you have much more options for configuration and the ability to also control Microsoft system services/programmes. I guess I didn't promise too much. Didn't I? Did you test it more deeply? :dubbio:

22 hours ago, upadi said:

Try the PLus edition, not expiration date only a nag that go away when press refresh (green button), and so you can set advanced configuration.

:thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content