BSOD 0x7b while installation of windows vista

So i recently tried to install windows vista onto my modern machine and everything works fine it goes well until it needs to restart to complete the installation but then it gives me a bsod inaccessible_boot_device 0x7b. This was a win7 iso, i only replaced the install.wim with the vista one as vista does not have proper usb drivers.  i tried the same with a normal vista ISO and it installed and reached the desktop. but this iso it does not work. Can anyone help?

I don't understand, you succeeded with the "normal" Vista .iso?

But the one you Frankensteined does not work?

Never heard of taking a Windows 7 install .iso and replacing in it the install.wim, it may be possible to make it work, but I presume that a number of other changes will be needed.

Anyway, the 0x0000007b is "Inaccessible boot device" which - usually but not always - is related to the lack of a proper SATA driver.

jaclaz

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Never heard of taking a Windows 7 install .iso and replacing in it the install.wim,

Why not? It works with the new mobos that need USB3.1 drivers for the installation (the ones that don't have PS/2). But he made a mistake, he would have needed to take boot.win, not install.wim from Windows 8, not 7!

7 is too old, and missing these drivers.

Edited by Dixel

4 hours ago, somewhere someone said:

And actually the original vista sp2 iso installs and works just fine

but the thing is that it does not have proper usb drivers for my laptop so thats why i did that

Not sure why all the hassle then? boot.wim won't add the drivers into your system, it has a temp driver only, for the installation process only! (hence the name "boot")

Edited by Dixel
hence the name "boot"

3 hours ago, somewhere someone said:

like you know the usb and other drivers stored in win7 iso so it has the win7 drivers

Both (Vista and 7) don't have USB3.0/1 drivers at all! So to make an install on a modern board, you need to take boot.wim (NOT install.wim) from Windows 8!

3 hours ago, somewhere someone said:

alr i understand but what abt the bsod? its still there

go to BIOS and change the boot device from UEFI HDD to "normal" HDD. 

5 hours ago, somewhere someone said:

this iso was from a yt channel

Seemingly the guy on that channel uses a "customized" .iso with NTlite adding the Windows 7 MSI USB drivers for his specific motherboard/system to the boot.wim.

(of course without giving any meaningful detail on how exactly this was done).

He then proceeds to redistribute the modified .iso.  :w00t::ph34r:

So the news are that - [1] - a .iso with a boot.wim with integrated specific MSI USB drivers has issues in a HP laptop.

If the .iso is used on a USB stick, which is probably the boot device at the time the BSOD 0x0000007b happens it could well be due to the (wrong/mismatched/whatever) USB drivers.

jaclaz

[1] Please insert here an adverb, choose among:

a. surprisingly
b. unexpectedly
c. obviously

Edited by Tripredacus
removed source of warez from qt