Is it possible to install Windows 2000 on a Dell Latitude 5490?

Hi,

I am wanting to install Windows 2000 on a Dell Latitude 5490, a Kaby Lake machine. I've installed XP with XP2ESD 1.7 by @George King, and Windows Vista and Windows 7 on that laptop. And before anyone says it, no, I am not going to use a VM. And also, the legacy internal boot wouldn't be a problem, as even though it isn't supported, I can use something like WinSetupfromUSB to get around it as legacy external boot is supported. What would I need to do to get 2000 running on the Dell? The laptop has no CD drive, so I would have to install with USB. I have a SATA m2 SSD and USB 3.0. Also, @George King ported the Windows 8 drivers to Windows XP for AHCI and USB 3.0 in the XP2ESD pack, would they work on 2000? And how would I get ACPI working on 2000?

Edited by GD 2W10

On 7/19/2023 at 10:19 PM, GD 2W10 said:

Hi,

I am wanting to install Windows 2000 on a Dell Latitude 5490, a Kaby Lake machine. I've installed XP with XP2ESD 1.7 by @George King, and Windows Vista and Windows 7 on that laptop. And before anyone says it, no, I am not going to use a VM. And also, the legacy internal boot wouldn't be a problem, as even though it isn't supported, I can use something like WinSetupfromUSB to get around it as legacy external boot is supported. What would I need to do to get 2000 running on the Dell? The laptop has no CD drive, so I would have to install with USB. I have a SATA m2 SSD and USB 3.0. Also, @George King ported the Windows 8 drivers to Windows XP for AHCI and USB 3.0 in the XP2ESD pack, would they work on 2000? And how would I get ACPI working on 2000?

I tried another Windows 2000 ISO which had SATA drivers integrated into it. I installed with WinNTSetup and got past "Setup is starting Windows 2000" when pressing F7, but keyboard didn't work at all. I get the following error:

"The following value in the -SIF file used by Setup corrupted or missing: Value 1 on line 0 in section [Keyboard] Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup. press F3."

I can't turn on legacy keyboard emulation because my BIOS doesn't give an option for that and the laptop is too new. How do I get around this?

w2kproerrordelllatitude.jpg

Edited by GD 2W10

19 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

I tried another Windows 2000 ISO which had SATA drivers integrated into it. I installed with WinNTSetup and got past "Setup is starting Windows 2000" when pressing F7, but keyboard didn't work at all. I get the following error:

"The following value in the -SIF file used by Setup corrupted or missing: Value 1 on line 0 in section [Keyboard] Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup. press F3."

I can't turn on legacy keyboard emulation because my BIOS doesn't give an option for that and the laptop is too new. How do I get around this?

w2kproerrordelllatitude.jpg

The only way which worked with me  is to create hfslip iso of blackwingcat :

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1823238.html

Disable the UAC if you use win vista and later in procedure of creation.

• 7 months later...

Only throwing things on the wall and see if anything sticks but for what it costs I would try both:

[Keyboard]
kbdhid   = "USB Keyboard",files.kbdhid,kbdhid
USB      = "USB Keyboard",files.kbdhid,kbdhid

and:

[Keyboard]
STANDARD = "USB Keyboard",files.kbdhid,kbdhid

and see what happens, though I remember seeing a lot of people having issues with attempts to install 2K with only USB mouse and keyboard on more modern hardware.

I don't think a "working for all" solution exists, maybe - if you *somehow* manage to workaround the error - some "fully unattended setup" you may get past the text mode and hve later in the GUI a fully working keyboard, but cannot really say.

Search on the board for related posts by bluebolt and tomasz86, they did a lot of work attempting to workaround similar USB keyboard issues, maybe some of those posts can provide some inspiration.

jaclaz

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Only throwing things on the wall and see if anything sticks but for what it costs I would try both:

[Keyboard]

and:

[Keyboard]

and see what happens, though I remember seeing a lot of people having issues with attempts to install 2K with only USB mouse and keyboard on more modern hardware.

I don't think a "working for all" solution exists, maybe - if you *somehow* manage to workaround the error - some "fully unattended setup" you may get past the text mode and hve later in the GUI a fully working keyboard, but cannot really say.

Search on the board for related posts by bluebolt and tomasz86, they did a lot of work attempting to workaround similar USB keyboard issues, maybe some of those posts can provide some inspiration.

jaclaz

I will try that 

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

[Keyboard]

and:

[Keyboard]

jaclaz

Ok so both changes gave me a BSOD. The first one gave me 0x01E, the second one gave me 0x07B.