Windows Media Player 11 : Good Alternatives To Use

legacyfan

Since these players have self-contained codecs, it's easy to have more than one installed, and try them with different formats and situations. BE still has accurate and instant seeking in DTS Coherent Acoustics elementary streams (music disks, external sountracks), whereas LAVFilters inherited the current ffmpeg behavior of estimating the duration inacurately from the transmission bitrate.

Today I tried PotPlayer for the first time. I didn't know it was made in Asia. Finding CUVID in the preferences was not easy. The GUI looks clean, and better than HC's modern. There is something good to say about every program.

On 11/21/2023 at 2:04 AM, j7n said:

Today I tried PotPlayer for the first time. I didn't know it was made in Asia. Finding CUVID in the preferences was not easy. The GUI looks clean, and better than HC's modern.

I tried that one, too. When I switch CUVID on, it becomes brighter, you know why?

No, it didn't do that for me. I only checked that CPU usage was low and there were no glitches. It's not my player, but I kept hearing it was other people's choice. There is the TV Levels setting in the driver, but it applies to all video output at YV12, not just hardware decoded.

MPC-HC for video, Winamp for audio.

I always have the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed, it comes with MPC-HC included. Winamp is optional. I like it for nostalgia and to play very obscure game audio files via even more obscure Winamp plugins. MPC-HC will play everything for 95% of the users.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 9:50 PM, Hyper.nl said:

MPC-HC for video

Absolutely agree, I sometimes also mix with an older PowerDVD 16 version, newer are simply terrible.

Did you notice MPC-HC keeps getting brighter and brighter? And it's not as sharp as it used to be.

Can you demonstrate that on a screenshot with two players of the same size side by side? On my PC I can take a screenshot of the video if it is not output via overlay mixer. Maybe you have selected a fancy renderer with its own color settings, enabled a "shader" or chosen TV Levels 16-240 in the output.

• legacyfan changed the title to Windows Media Player 11 : Good Alternatives To Use