Ultimate Performance Power Plan

Sampei.Nihira

I recently activated this plan that is usually hidden.

Info on how to make this change can be found on the net.

I also improved the performance (but not at the expense of security) of my web browser,Edge.

It is interesting to consider from a survey I created on Wilders Security Forum that only one other user uses this power plan.

The majority of users use the recommended power plan.

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

The majority of users use the recommended power plan.

I'm not aware of any reason to run my CPU permanently at max frequency, which is what even Performance plan does. Why should it run at 100% while typing this? Or staring at the wall of text. Didn't see the need to change default plan even when I played games, but then I'm not picky and maybe I'm not detecting everything. My hardware is old anyway, wasn't on the blazing fast side when new, more on the economical side and takes longer to crunch through certain things as it is, the default plan bumps up the frequencies when needed anyway and using performance plans all-the-time hardly does much in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Interesting.

Is there a quantifiable means of elliminating "Placebo Effect" in determining if this really "does" something?

A new power scheme – Ultimate Performance: Demanding workloads on workstations always desire more performance. As part of our effort to provide the absolute maximum performance we’re introducing a new power policy called Ultimate Performance. Windows has developed key areas where performance and efficiency tradeoffs are made in the OS. Over time, we’ve amassed a collection of settings which allow the OS to quickly tune the behavior based on user preference, policy, underlying hardware or workload.

This new policy builds on the current High-Performance policy, and it goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine grained power management techniques. The Ultimate Performance Power plan is selectable either by an OEM on new systems or selectable by a user. To do so, you can go to Control Panel and navigate to Power Options under Hardware and Sound (you can also “run” Powercfg.cpl). Just like other power policies in Windows, the contents of the Ultimate Performance policy can be customized.

As the power scheme is geared towards reducing micro-latencies it may directly impact hardware; and consume more power than the default balanced plan. The Ultimate Performance power policy is currently not available on battery powered systems.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2018/02/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17101-fast-build-17604-skip-ahead/

Edited by Sampei.Nihira