Windows 11 Worth The Upgrade (Or Downgrade?)

legacyfan

On 5/3/2023 at 9:38 AM, sunryze said:

It depends on your preference. I personally have not updated my PC at home yet, although my laptop is on it just because I upgraded it at some point. I haven't bothered to downgrade it at all. So it is really up to you, if you think the changes are something you can get used to, or if you'd prefer to find other options.

windows 10 is a really great os compaired to windows 11 but ive found out that windows 8.1 is my new preferred os now for what I do (it's good for game developing)

Edited by legacyfan

@mina7601. I can move and re-size my windows taskbar. Maybe it's some utility I installed but I could have sworn you can do this with OEM Windows 11. EDIT, oh so I see it's changed in Windows 22H2 build. But there are registry hacks that can modify the taskbar: https://www.alphr.com/move-taskbar-windows-11/

Edited by BYTE-ME

20 hours ago, BYTE-ME said:

@mina7601. I can move and re-size my windows taskbar. Maybe it's some utility I installed but I could have sworn you can do this with OEM Windows 11. EDIT, oh so I see it's changed in Windows 22H2 build. But there are registry hacks that can modify the taskbar: https://www.alphr.com/move-taskbar-windows-11/

Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

11 is in all ways superior to 10 in my opinion - other than the TPM/Secure Boot bul*****, OS runs fine without them but certain apps (mostly game anti-cheats, such as Valorant) require you to have both on (which I hate) hence I am now stuck on 10. If I didn't play games, I'd update to 11 in a heartbeat. Especially with startallback, it is a great experience.

I found Win-11/Pro/64 to be like a ball of modeling clay.  Totally tweakable, maleable, fixable, whatchamacallit.

It took me no time at all to fix the crazy task bar, and then get rid of that crazy Blue Thing on the desktop.

Just about every tweak you could want is already built in to the OS, if you have the experience to find it.  Right clicking on the task bar, takes you right into "Settings" where you can Tweak to your hearts desire.

If that's not enough for you, there is always the Classic Shell, and beyond that the "WinAero Tweaker". 

I never did like the looks of Win-10, so I upgraded directly from Win-8.1 to Win-11/Pro/64 in one move.  And y'know what?  Win-11 runs faster on my old PC, than 8.1 did.

Forget the12 step program, for upgrading to Win-11.  Some will make that sound so complicated.

It's really only a three step process.

1.  Download the Win-11 ISO from a trusted source, not necessarily MS.

2.  Burn the ISO to a Flash Drive, of sufficient size.  >8GB  Using the latest ver. of Rufus, and accept all option, from the option menu.

3.  Boot up your PC with the Flash Drive and Install Win-11.  All compatibility restraints and security questions will have been remove by Rufus.

The rest is just up to you, and how far you want to go, making Win-11 yours.

I've gone through the above process 16 times now.  It just gets easier every time.

I hope you all have had a Great Memorial Day,

Andromeda :cool: