SPAM everywhere! 'The amount of junk mail I'm getting these days is absurd.'

msfntor

SPAM everywhere! 'The amount of junk mail I'm getting these days is absurd.' User said he was 'close to quitting Outlook'... 'Outlook spam filter is garbage.'

'Have Outlook's spam filters just totally broken today?' Users claim their inboxes are being FLOODED with junk emails

* One user said he 'woke up to an inbox full of spam' but Microsoft is yet to explain

* Microsoft's services crashed last month due to 'networking configuration issues'

* Firm's email service is lagging behind Google Gmail in terms of user numbers

Microsoft Outlook's spam filters appear to be 'broken' as user inboxes became flooded with junk emails on Monday.

Outlook inboxes are reportedly getting up to 50 junk emails per hour, although the cause of the issue is unknown and Microsoft is yet to comment.

One user said he is 'close to quitting Outlook', which is already lagging behind Google's Gmail in terms of user numbers. 

It follows Microsoft's services crashing due to an outage last month, which among other issues stopped global users from accessing emails. 

Frustrated Outlook users took to Twitter to share their problems and ask the Redmond, Washington-based tech giant for an explanation.

@tomwarren said on Twitter: 'Have Microsoft's Outlook spam filters just totally broken today? I woke up to an inbox full of spam and stuff keeps hitting my focused inbox.'

Another Twitter user, @philofthemoore, said: 'Hi @Outlook Why am I now (overnight) getting spam in my inbox which was previously going to my junk folder?'

Meanwhile @zacbowden said he was 'close to quitting Outlook', adding: 'The amount of junk mail I'm getting these days is absurd.' 

And @bremic9188, who describes himself as a Microsoft fanboy, simply said: 'Outlook spam filter is garbage.' 

Another asked Microsoft to 'turn the junk filter back on' and claimed they were 'drowning in spam'. 

According to one user based in California, they were averaging about 50 junk emails in their inbox every hour. 

Microsoft Outlook's Twitter account is yet to comment on the matter, although it is replying to individual users asking them to send a direct message for more information. 

A Microsoft spokesperson later told MailOnline: 'We have resolved an issue that impacted some users with an increase in spam in their inbox.' 

Carl Wearn, head of threat intelligence analysis at IT security company Mimecast, said Outlook users should be wary of all emails received, especially if they contain links or are claim to be from someone they know. 

'Following links is likely to lead to a spoofed website, which may well be a complete copy of the genuine website, and the loss of your genuine log in credentials,' Wearn told MailOnline. 

'Any purportedly important communication, particularly requesting money or purchases should be verifiable by other means before taking action.

'Contact the colleague or family member requesting by phone or other reliable means, speak to them in person if at all possible.

MORE: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11771945/Have-Outlooks-spam-filters-broken-Users-say-inboxes-FLOODED-junk.html

My dad used to complain constantly about the amount of spam in his inbox (and in the mailbox at the end of the driveway).

It took *years* to convince him that it was basically HIS FAULT.

My credit card accounts, my utility bills, my checking and savings account, they all ask for an email address when establishing online access - NONE OF MINE have my "real" email address!

That could be too extreme, but the point is you have to draw a line on just who you TRUST with your "real" email address and don't just give it to "every" online web site you come accross.

MSFN obviously has my real one - but my WORK email and not my HOME email.

Truth be told, I did not want to but this is like the ONLY web site I've ever signed up for that would not "activate" using a 'throw-away' Gmail or Guerrilla Mail email address.

But that was years ago and I don't recall the details as to why a Gmail or Guerrilla Mail account would not work at the time.

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I don't use Google though. Google had blocked all of my acoounts long time ago.

Me too, but I block all google items with uBlock, then never search by google (my google search is blanc page wih search field at the top, you see?..), or bing too... use swisscows cause "preview" secure feature.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My dad used to complain constantly about the amount of spam in his inbox

Personally, I see less and less need for an email account... all official needs go through my wife's account... I've never had any real spam from any company, except someone who sent me pseudo-religious emails... that's over, I don't even remember how... Also, I don't check my email very often now, only every two weeks or so... this wasn't the case before my terrible illness, but I changed some of my views - and now everything is calm, flat calm, tranquility... (when I search for flat calm in English: I always find this crazy Amazon that makes me laugh: "Great deals on flat calm in books on Amazon. Low prices on flat calm. Free shipping (see cond.)"

Think "Flat Calm on a Moonless Night" is best?...
Well, if you're laughing already, it means that the purpose of this post has come to a good end. In any circumstance, the best thing to do in life is to laugh a little...:lol:

Edited by msfntor