retrieve current install key

NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That is "your" interpretation.  MY use of "quotes" in WRITTEN form is akin to "air quotes" in verbal form.  Pretty common here in the Midwest even if not common in your part of the world.  Definitely not worth "arguing" over!

air quotes, noun, a pair of quotation marks gestured by a speaker's fingers in the air, to indicate that what is being said is ironic or mocking, or is not a turn of phrase the speaker would typically employ.

Nah, it's just improper usage. Also, we don't speak "mid-Western" English. And you yourself always love to point out to the subject of MSFN being an international forum.

No one's arguing, but some may definitely need a translator from your (without quotes) English. 

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My "fun" reply is best in video format  --  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfJhMfOPWdE

Finally, the right usage for quotes, keep learning, you're on the right path.

Were you able to make a custom media for the system ? Mine has a function to create a custom bootable DVD with the OEM system that was preinstalled.

16 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Weird...

I know it may have changed now, but with Vista, I don't enter any serials at all. I have a DVD that came with my Siemens PC (it has a sticker on it).

So when I need to install a fresh system, I just remove all partitions, including the restore partition, reformat the HDD and install from the DVD, it doesn't 

ask me to enter anything ... 

Product keys being put into the BIOS only started with Windows 8. Named OEM Vista install suppresses activation, so it would not ask you for a product key (or you could skip it) when installing with the OEM's recovery media and it will show activated. MS changed named OEM COA with Windows 8 to not have a product key on it, whereas 7, Vista and XP still did even though they were not used.

NOTE: Named OEM COA is the type of COA that has the manufacturer/OEM's name printed on it.