State Of Windows Server In 2023-beyond?

legacyfan

as one of the most powerfull versions of windows server is what has kept older windows versions going (like server 2008 for windows vista and server 2012 for windows 8) and has helped in continuing to support legacy windows version for years so my question is will windows server still be usefully in 2023-beyond?

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to State Of Windows Server/POSReady In 2023-beyond?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • legacyfan changed the title to State Of Windows Server In 2023-beyond?
23 hours ago, Dibya said:

Why Bother? For Server Use Linux and specially FreeBSD serves much better

WIndows Server is dead for me beyond 2012 R2

For me its 2008 R2 because of nostalgia and such things

• 3 weeks later...

for most businesses nowadays they purchase whatever is the best value from their vendors. Today that would be Server 2022.

Older servers likely are still in use. at my school they still have a couple 2008 R2 and 2003 systems around. Most of theirs though are 2012 R2 and 2016. Some 2019 ones are around too. 

Outside of windows ad and such, Linux excels at server tasks. And even then, most stuff is going cloud based today, so on-prem servers aren't as prominent as they used to be. The only thing most businesses need now are routers and networking.

I tried using server 2008 at one point and it worked pretty well accept for that it was a server version so I could not play several games on it and it got so frustrating that I went back to normal windows and never touched server versions ever again (if you need a good is the best option is non server varients of windows)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 10:54 AM, sunryze said:

The only thing most businesses need now are routers and networking.

Quoting myself, thats also why Unifi has gotten fairly popular- they provide in my opinion one of the best services for networking. For businesses, the importance of a simple network that is powerful, and easy to use, is the reason Cisco networking has been dying off in the business world, and only still remains in data-centers. However eventually that will change. My home network runs on a Unifi AP from 2019 and it has performed exactly the same since we have gotten it, and has been the most reliable WiFi AP we have ever owned.

• 1 month later...

I utilize Windows Server 2019 at work, it runs our Point of Sale and the SQL Database that goes with it. I actually had to add functions too it for it to work properly with my setup.

Domain>AD>Multiple Users via PCs and thin-clients. 

1 SSD for the OS. 1 SSD for the POS data and SQL.

Backups are- 1 Internal SSD >8TB HDD>External SSD>Offsite NAS in RAID at my home.

I would never recommend a Server product for a home/gaming PC, it's not designed for it.