state of windows xp in 2023-beyond?

legacyfan

13 hours ago, Country Cat said:

However, I wouldn't use it to login to more serious pages though (like Amazon for example).

No problem here when shopping on Amazon in my browsers under Windows XP, and have been for years. Without @roytam1 this would probably no longer be possible. Windows XP is my main OS, and I do all there, as far as possible, of course. :thumbup

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

No problem here when shopping on Amazon in my browsers under Windows XP, and have been for years. Without @roytam1 this would probably no longer be possible. Windows XP is my main OS, and I do all there, as far as possible, of course. :thumbup

Hahaha; I personally refrain from logging into certain things on XP out of an abundance of caution, though I'm certain the majority of malware nowadays probably target more modern OS's and hardware. It's nice to hear that you still get use out of it, to the point that it's still a daily driver. XP and 7 are both my daily drivers (they get equally used almost every day, but if I had to pick one I'd have to go for 7). I must admit I didn't like 7 at first, but I've grown quite attached to it over the years. Also a lot of things that are no longer possible on XP are still possible on 7 (like installing and running Steam games, a must-have for playing with my nephew).

It seems a lot of browsers are no longer supporting XP as of late. What browsers do you use? I am currently using a fork of Pale Moon called New Moon, but would appreciate hearing any other alternatives (besides MyPal, as while it's nice it does not fit my needs. Many webpages would not load properly on MyPal.)

Edited by Country Cat
Added browser inquiry

13 minutes ago, Country Cat said:

I must admit I didn't like 7 at first, but I've grown quite attached to it over the years. Also a lot of things that are no longer possible on XP are still possible on 7 (like installing and running Steam games, a must-have for playing with my nephew).

I use Windows 7 or Android if Windows XP fails. To be honest, I do many things on my tablet under Android. :P

13 minutes ago, Country Cat said:

It seems a lot of browsers are no longer supporting XP as of late. What browsers do you use? I am currently using a fork of Pale Moon called New Moon, but would appreciate hearing any other alternatives (besides MyPal, as while it's nice it does not fit my needs. Many webpages would not load properly on MyPal.)

I am a fan of UXP browsers for years. I use mainly New Moon 28, Serpent 52 and Serpent 55. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Correction

30 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I use Windows 7 or Android if Windows XP fails. To be honest, I do many things on my tablet under Android. :P

I am a fan of UXP browsers for years. I use mainly New Moon 28, Serpent 52 and Serpent 55. :thumbup

Very nice. I don't think I've tried Serpent before. I will have to give it a test. (Also, nice to hear you are also a fellow Android user! :D)

After lots of testing with newer OSes, I feel better about making the leap to 7+ in the future. For now, I am happily sticking with XP. Microsoft truly outdid themselves with this OS, in all its various flavors and evolutions. Compatible with lots of vintage and modern hardware and software, lightweight and fast, with rock-solid stability.
I find that XP is still perfectly fine for offline use...there are tons of programs that will keep it useful forever.
The only real question mark going forward is web browsing...of course, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for whatever the future holds.

One thing I will say with regards to web browsing is that if you can make good use of user agent spoofing/switching, you can get a lot of mileage out of 360 and other XP-compatible browsers to this day. The mobile versions of most sites, where applicable, still seem to work fine in old browsers and should render with no major graphical bugs.
Of course this doesn't work with all sites, but as much of the web is mobile-optimized now, it is a lifeline for XP-compatible browsers as more desktop-optimized sites continue to be redesigned/updated to take advantage of whatever the latest JavaScript standards are.

10 hours ago, Country Cat said:

Very nice. I don't think I've tried Serpent before. I will have to give it a test. (Also, nice to hear you are also a fellow Android user! :D)

Although I am actually not a friend of Google, I love to do many things by using a tablet. google-1.gif  nee.gif
Apple is no choice to me for many reasons nimportequoi.gif, so I am an Android user for many years. Searching the internet, researching and reading books or articles is the main intended purpose of my tablet. Many of my posts are written under Android and its most recent browsers. It's very comfortable and easy. :) As a respite from the Chrome or Chromium world, I then enjoy surfing with my UXP browsers under Windows XP:thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

As sad as it is to see, I'm certain there will come a day where 7 will also no longer be able to suit my needs. It will be unfortunate, but I will most likely move to a Linux-based OS such as Mint and theme it to replicate the look and feel of XP/7. Themes and a bit of fiddling with WINE can make Linux more comfortable. I think this would be a great idea for anyone uncomfortable with W10 or W11, but are unfamiliar with navigating Linux.

(Although some people have managed to get Steam working for XP beyond 2019, that too eventually broke over time. Some things just don't last forever.)

Doesn't mean I wouldn't still use 7 or XP from time to time, though. I'll always have either one on a drive on-hand. There's hundreds of legacy and offline applications that are too useful to die off. @cmccaff1 mentioned this.

16 hours ago, Country Cat said:

Hahaha; I personally refrain from logging into certain things on XP out of an abundance of caution, though I'm certain the majority of malware nowadays probably target more modern OS's and hardware. It's nice to hear that you still get use out of it, to the point that it's still a daily driver. XP and 7 are both my daily drivers (they get equally used almost every day, but if I had to pick one I'd have to go for 7). I must admit I didn't like 7 at first, but I've grown quite attached to it over the years. Also a lot of things that are no longer possible on XP are still possible on 7 (like installing and running Steam games, a must-have for playing with my nephew).

windows xp is still a great os option if you know how to stay safe when you use it

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Although I am actually not a friend of Google, I love to do many things by using a tablet. google-1.gif  nee.gif
Apple is no choice to me for many reasons nimportequoi.gif, so I am an Android user for many years. Searching the internet, researching and reading books or articles is the main intended purpose of my tablet. Many of my posts are written under Android and its most recent browsers. It's very comfortable and easy. :) As a respite from the Chrome or Chromium world, I then enjoy surfing with my UXP browsers under Windows XP:thumbup

I refuse to use Apple products whenever possible; I'm not a Google fan either but I'm unaware of any CFW that would be compatible for my phone.
I've actually seen some people use virtual machines on their mobile devices to run Windows XP and lower, but never tried it myself. I think it would be nice for playing some old games on-the-go.

Edited by Country Cat
mistype correction

3 hours ago, Country Cat said:

No doubt that the same thing may happen if they managed to get Steam working beyond 2024 for Windows 7 using the same method they did for XP. Well, we'll see what happens this time.

Edited by mina7601