Is it possible to install Windows XP x64 on a Dell Latitude 5490?

GD 2W10

Hi,

Is it possible to install Windows XP x64 on a Dell Latitude 5490? The laptop is UEFI-only (it can only boot legacy from external ports), so I would need to install XP on UEFI. I have thought about using XP2ESD but wanted to know if there are other ways of getting XP running on the laptop.

17 hours ago, George King said:

XP2ESD have added better UEFI support for XP / 2003 x64, but new version (v1.6.3) is still not released to public and it needs to be tested a lot. You can follow @reboot12 tutorial hwo to deploy XP x64 on UEFI manually.

I can boot the XP x64 installer and complete the first stage, as it can boot Legacy from USB drives, but not internal drives, so I would have to add the Server 2008 UEFI files after the first stage, and I shouldn’t have to integrate graphics drivers as I can install Vista and 7 on the laptop with zero problems (Vista has a few bugs as with all post-Ivy Bridge installs, but it’s still functions). However, I get the 0x0A5 BSOD when booting from the USB. When I press “F7”, it just gives me an option between ACPI Uniprocessor x64, ACPI Multiprocessor x64, and Other, but selecting either of those gives me a BSOD. I am using WinSetupfromUSB btw.

Edited by GD 2W10

On 11/23/2022 at 5:45 PM, GD 2W10 said:

I can boot the XP x64 installer and complete the first stage, as it can boot Legacy from USB drives, but not internal drives, so I would have to add the Server 2008 UEFI files after the first stage, and I shouldn’t have to integrate graphics drivers as I can install Vista and 7 on the laptop with zero problems (Vista has a few bugs as with all post-Ivy Bridge installs, but it’s still functions). However, I get the 0x0A5 BSOD when booting from the USB. When I press “F7”, it just gives me an option between ACPI Uniprocessor x64, ACPI Multiprocessor x64, and Other, but selecting either of those gives me a BSOD. I am using WinSetupfromUSB btw.

I tried integrating the ACPI driver found here, and I don't get the 0x000000A5 error, but now I am getting the 0x0000007B error, and I have AHCI drivers integrated into the ISO. I used Fernando's universal AHCI drivers.

Edited by GD 2W10

On 11/27/2022 at 11:58 AM, GD 2W10 said:

I tried integrating the ACPI driver found here, and I don't get the 0x000000A5 error, but now I am getting the 0x0000007B error, and I have AHCI drivers integrated into the ISO. I used Fernando's universal AHCI drivers.

My SSD is actually not an Intel SSD, it's actually a Micron SSD, which was probably why Fernando's drivers didn't work. I found some hardware IDs for my SSD. I found SCSI\DISK&VEN_MICRON&PROD_1100_SATA_512GB\4&1F3FCE9C&0&020000 and SCSI\DiskMicron__1100_____________M0D. However, for the first one, I am only able to find drivers for XP x86 on drp.su, but I could find drivers for 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11 both x86 and x64, and for the second I only found one for x86 (I think it might be Vista). Where can I find XP x64 drivers for this SSD?

Edited by GD 2W10

On 11/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, GD 2W10 said:

Hi,

Is it possible to install Windows XP x64 on a Dell Latitude 5490? The laptop is UEFI-only (it can only boot legacy from external ports), so I would need to install XP on UEFI. I have thought about using XP2ESD but wanted to know if there are other ways of getting XP running on the laptop.

I have decided to switch over to installing XP x86 with XP2ESD. I thought it was impossible to boot legacy internally from that laptop, but I found out by letting "Press any key to boot from USB" time out, I was able to boot to the hard drive, or by booting from the hard drive with WinSetupfromUSB. 

On 12/10/2022 at 2:04 PM, GD 2W10 said:

I have decided to switch over to installing XP x86 with XP2ESD. I thought it was impossible to boot legacy internally from that laptop, but I found out by letting "Press any key to boot from USB" time out, I was able to boot to the hard drive, or by booting from the hard drive with WinSetupfromUSB.