Ublock Origin Lite (MV3) vs AdGuard MV3 Chromium Extensions

Sampei.Nihira

Ublock Origin Lite is disappointing since I can't add my own custom filters. Not to mention that Fanboy Annoyance is now split into multiple smaller lists under the umbrella of EasyList.

I don't recommend this product,

42 minutes ago, Karla Sleutel said:

Agreed.  I do applaud the discussion of alternatives.  One size will never fit all.

Currently, my Intel Atom (single core) and my Intel Core 2 Quad (4 cores, "unthreaded") computers perform best with uBO v1.26.2 for everything that I have tried on them.

With identical lists however, my Core i7 (4 cores, 8 threads) would leak YouTube ads!

My Core i7 computers are currently using AdNauseam v3.21.4 (forked from uBO) and have yet to ever leak an ad on YouTube.

Despite AdNauseam being my best performer on my Core i7 (not even so much as a split-second visual "flash" of the ad being blocked!), when I run the same exact extension with the same exact lists on my Core 2 Quad, it will not block any YouTube ads!

Both running Win10 Ungoogled Chromium v94.  But uBO will show a split-second visual "flash" of the ad being blocked.  One size will never fit all.

7 hours ago, Karla Sleutel said:

Ublock Origin Lite is disappointing since I can't add my own custom filters. Not to mention that Fanboy Annoyance is now split into multiple smaller lists under the umbrella of EasyList.

With AdGuard v.5.0.1 you can add the list of filters you use.
Although at the moment custom rules are limited to 5000.
This filter list is not necessary because there are other good alternatives in the default filter lists to choose from.

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed.  I do applaud the discussion of alternatives.  One size will never fit all.

Currently, my Intel Atom (single core) and my Intel Core 2 Quad (4 cores, "unthreaded") computers perform best with uBO v1.26.2 for everything that I have tried on them.

With identical lists however, my Core i7 (4 cores, 8 threads) would leak YouTube ads!

My Core i7 computers are currently using AdNauseam v3.21.4 (forked from uBO) and have yet to ever leak an ad on YouTube.

Despite AdNauseam being my best performer on my Core i7 (not even so much as a split-second visual "flash" of the ad being blocked!), when I run the same exact extension with the same exact lists on my Core 2 Quad, it will not block any YouTube ads!

Both running Win10 Ungoogled Chromium v94.  But uBO will show a split-second visual "flash" of the ad being blocked.  One size will never fit all.

There would also be the possibility of using Fanboys' filter list at the DNS level with uBlock Origin Lite.
But those who either don't know how to do it or refuse to do it because they think it is better this way are better off continuing to use what they know how to use the best way.

13 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

There would also be the possibility of using Fanboys' filter list at the DNS level with uBlock Origin Lite.
But those who either don't know how to do it or refuse to do it because they think it is better this way are better off continuing to use what they know how to use the best way.

Why would I need to over-complicate my life with DNS level stuff? Isn't this product aimed at ordinary users? Hence the name "Lite". It doesn't look light.

1 hour ago, Karla Sleutel said:

Not to mention, classic UBO allows users to add custom filter rules by clicking on web page elements, which is great, does Ublock Lite allow it?

No,it does not allow it.
But adGuard MV3,it does.

Do I have to write it again?

If you want to learn how to configure in the easiest way these 2 MV3 extensions,this is the right place.:yes:

I just now finished the configuration of adGuard Mv3.
I added 2 custom filter lists.
And 3 user rules.

I haven't added dynamic filtering yet because the extension is still in beta and I want to wait for further development.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:18 AM, Karla Sleutel said:

Look at 1.42.X. Fast, overall. 1.26 seems to allow some ads to slip through.

I should have searched for the suggested version, lol.  Thanks for the suggestion, btw.
From memory, I thought you suggested 1.45.x.  I've been running 1.45.2 and so far I am impressed with it over 1.26.2.
1.45.0 had this (link) commit and it seems to have solved several "time delay" issues I have had with uBO (where an ad is blocked but it "flashes" for a split second before being blocked).
Admittedly, my preference towards 1.26.2 is a ghost from my XP days.  Version 1.26.2 was (if I recall), the last version without anti-aliased BS, I'd have to verify, just that the GUI looked HORRIBLE in XP for anything "newer".
That's no longer the case now that I am on Win10 and I've been quite pleased with 1.45.2.

The strange irony is the configuration that I have stumbled upon that works for ALL of my computers.
The office computer is a screaming fast top-of-the-line (at least it was 1.5 years ago) with 64 GB RAM.
My primary computer here at home is an i7-4770 with 16 GB RAM.
My secondary computer (but primary for paying bills) is an Intel Core 2 Quad with 4 GB RAM.
I have miscellaneous i3's and i5's.

It's always been a bit "tricky" to get ONE configuration to work for ALL.
One adblocker would not work across this wide range of computers.
One size really does not fit all.

The combination that WORKS FOR ALL is actually something "they" always tell you "don't do".
Running uBO v1.45.2 SIMULTANEOUSLY ALONGSIDE AdNauseum v3.21.4, both with identical lists (9 lists), and running that pair SIMULTANEOUSLY ALONGSIDE "AdBlock - best ad blocker" v5.22.0 (only 1 list) is working FLAWLESSLY.
Across the entire wide range of computers in my arsenal.  It's actually the first EVER config/combo to not split-second-flash ads on my Intel Core 2 Quad on YouTube.

On 7/13/2024 at 5:54 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

1.45.0 had this (link) commit and it seems to have solved several "time delay" issues I have had with uBO (where an ad is blocked but it "flashes" for a split second before being blocked).
Admittedly, my preference towards 1.26.2 is a ghost from my XP days. 

From my humble 30 years experience with browsers, one's gotta try several versions released in the timeframe of about 3 months back and forth of the given browser version release.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:46 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

I just now finished the configuration of adGuard Mv3.
I added 2 custom filter lists.
And 3 user rules.

Do you know who develops adGuard?

On 7/12/2024 at 9:18 AM, Karla Sleutel said:

Look at 1.42.X. Fast, overall. 1.26 seems to allow some ads to slip through.

142 is actually good for chrome in the range  of 99 - 106, something like that.

On 7/11/2024 at 4:26 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I think the OP would want you to try uBlock Lite MV3 or Adguard and see if they do block all. I'll pass, I'm not trying adGuard on my PC due to the risks associated with the country it comes from.

And regarding uBlock Lite, I simply see no need for it,

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

I think the OP would want you to try uBlock Lite MV3 or Adguard and see if they do block all. I'll pass, I'm not trying adGuard on my PC due to the risks associated with the country it comes from.

And regarding uBlock Lite, I simply see no need for it,

No.
I don't care that some people on the forum try these extensions to see if they block everything.
I already know the ads/trackers/Cname Trackers that you can block with uBlock Origin (which in my Edge browser will work until June 2025),uBlock Origin Lite,or AdGuard MV3 with as few filter lists as possible to avoid more likely FP.

I have no interest that other people less experienced than me in this subject (Security IT) do what I do,worse than I do.

Just as I had no interest if all my students who took my courses at the university,studied to pass the exams.

If a forum member has an interest in doing what is written in this thread,I can help him in the best way I can (since we are at a distance) for HIS abilities.

But it is the interest of others,not my interest.