TLS 1.1 & 1.2 for OE 6 (XP), Key ´POSReady´ not to set to ´1´

visionhelp

9 minutes ago, visionhelp said:

Off-topic, please:) just Install on usb-stick, (just) to run - runs - without Windows ? Getting access to the stick, to the tool: how, without Windows, please ? Thanks to You.

Read the FAQ on the homepage of Offline Windows Password & Registry Editorhttp://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/faq.html
In your BIOS settings, you have to set booting from USB or external medium. The name of this option may vary, depending on your motherboard. I prefer booting fron CD/DVD.

Cheers, AstroSkipper surmene.gif

OK. Thank You.

booting from USB

no problem, with boot choice selection at boot. That it is a boot-disc is saying it, OK, my head. Enough contact for today. Thanks Your support once again. I will report.

Edited by visionhelp
betterment

You can read and try this-> https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/28434-windows-xp-users-step-by-step-guide-to-get-tequila-to-work-again/
It's an instruction to integrate TLS1.2. and 1.2 to XP and make IE8 work with TLS on XP
But I don't think that OE6 will also work with this system patch.
I think you will need a special patch for OE, too.
I don't know if this is available somewhere.

@visionhelp ... I'm really wondering why you don't install OE Classic.
It's regular updatet and has maybe more future functionality than handmade patches.
You don't need to worry about anything. No patches needed. Your OE6 Data (mails, accounts, adressbook) keeps untouched, and will be imported to OEclassic if you choose this option.

Foh. Thanks the link.

To (Quote) "But I don't think that OE6 will also work with this system patch": As I may understand now from there, also "Step 2: Mark your system as PosReady 2009" needs to be done. As in the article there described:

Enable for OE6 (XP) only - not for IE6 or 8 with - is possible, I understand. To install the update, the setting in the registry ´PosReady´ ´Installed´ (to ´1´) is the first step, and THIS is what just does not work, and therefor this topic as (extra) single topic.

To (Quote) "OE Classic": The file-size is fascinating (8 MB). OE6 I am very used to. Everything NEW, having - from time and works efforts - all to figure out ´first´, which just lasts, I want to avoid.

Edited by visionhelp
grammar correction

Did install well "Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor" to USB-stick. 

2 partitions, XP (as boot; because boot is on 1st) on second: not being found. And: for NTFS only. With my FAT32 cannot work so also.

My mail-account not working anymore for today this promise is now fullfilled.

If there does not exist an usual (special) Registry Editor, which is able to do the setting to ´1´ (despite denying this in the XP regedit), I still have this idea:

this .reg -file (1) into start-menu (start-up) of XP. Before doing this, I would appreciate a basic knowledge, whether or how it must be done correctly for to work properly, please. Thank You.

(1)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

(As own topic question there:)

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement

Hi @visionhelp.
you should reconsider how to post or act in MSFN. Multiple posting of the same content is frowned upon and not allowed under the forum rules. The same applies to opening a thread that already exists thematically.
Beside that, your posts are difficult to understand, unfortunately. This is an English speaking forum. It's not easy for people who are not proficient in the English language to write comments. For this reason, I recommend to use Google translator only. Write in short, clear German sentences and let Google translate them! Clear, short German sentences will lead to understandable English ones. I say this due to the circumstance that I always have to guess what you actually want to say while reading your replies.
Here are some tips how to post and to act in MSFN forum:
MSFN Forum Rules:
Read carefully the rules: https://msfn.org/board/guidelines/
MSFN Forum Etiquette:
Read carefully this post: https://msfn.org/board/topic/39016-msfn-forum-etiquette/?do=findComment&comment=222267
Quotations:
A quotation can be done by marking a text of a post and clicking "Quote". Or you can use the quoting button in a post of a member, left down below. Here is a quotation of a sentence in your previous post:

13 hours ago, visionhelp said:

Did install well "Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor" to USB-stick. 

Mentions:
To talk to or to mention a member, you have to "mention" this person by typing @ and the member's name in the commenting editor. For example, if you want to mention me, type @AstroSkipper. Here is the result: @AstroSkipper
Quoting or mentioning leads to a notification sent to the member you want to talk to or mention. Only in these cases does another member notice that you want to speak to them.
Upvoting or Liking:
Liking means you simply like the content of a member's post. Upvoting means you agree to the content of a member's post. You do not have to like or to upvote contents but it's a form of rating and respect to good contents or the efforts of a member. Upvoting or Liking can be done in a member's post, in the right corner down below.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper jaioublie.gif

Your teachings, in honours, I think, I do have to stop to expect too much (usual) kind .
Why do I have to feel: I am disturbing here probably only ? And, but, only You, it appears to me.

This will make me leave fast and ´easily´ and just.

I surely do not have to fullfill Your personal claims.

WE can not understand each other. Do we have to ? Can we stop this here?

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement

1 hour ago, visionhelp said:

I surely do not have to fullfill Your personal claims.

Of course, I have personal claims but what I wrote has nothing to do with my personal claims. It's just the way member usually behave in this forum, in a polite and correct form, following the forum rules and etiquette. And they are non-negotiable! Furthermore, I gave you a lot of tips to do all that, easily and correctly. :yes:

WE can not understand each other.

Unfotunately, this is not the truth. It's just your subjective impression. :yes:

Can we stop this here?

Of course! I do not have to waste my time in assisting a member who doesn't appreciate it. I already helped you a lot, and I'm about to deeply regret that. :angry: Therefore, good luck and have a nice day! goodluck.gif
No more help or comments from me. :no:

Regards, AstroSkipper 

Edited by AstroSkipper

It is possible to install the POSReady patches without using the registry hack - I have never applied the registry change and have installed all of the POSReady KBs.

It's worth mentioning that you can extract an XP kb file using its /x switch ... kb4019276.exe /x:"c:\kb4019276". To apply the patch you can simply execute update.exe in the update folder.  It is that update.exe that you need to replace and the update_SP3QFE.inf that needs changing.

I have a version of a modified update.exe but I don't think it is allowed to post hacked Microsoft files. There is a how to mod your own starting here (I never did this, I downloaded my version many years ago):
https://msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/page/4/#comment-1078363

I have always done it this way (starting from before the registry hack was known).

Ben.

25 minutes ago, Ben Markson said:

It is possible to install the POSReady patches without using the registry hack

Very interesting! Never heard of it before. I used the POSReady hack without any problems in the past, and therefore, no need to try other methods.

25 minutes ago, Ben Markson said:

I have a version of a modified update.exe but I don't think it is allowed to post hacked Microsoft files.

You're absolutely right! Posting of hacked Microsoft files publicly, are not allowed in MSFN. It's against the forum rules.

Anyway, thanks for your interesting post! ssupercool2.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

@Ben. Thanks.

Mostly the ´PosReady´ ´Installed´ being set to ´1´ appears to work to the most.

For some - and as me - it doesn´t. And the POSReady update to install is not possible.

During running XP so the key is not to set to ´1´.

Did now find 2 things: https://raymondcc.r.worldssl.net/PCRegedit-51.iso from https://www.raymond.cc/blog/download/did/51/

And access to (with) regedit from "Modify Registry OFFLINE using Windows Installation DVD", from https://www.wintips.org/how-to-edit-and-modify-registry-offline/

if exists with on the XP Installation disc so. So, before perhaps answered my question here, these alternatives worth a try.

Edited by visionhelp
little betterment

Topic starter, you should visit ssllabs website before to get more information about enctyption and to understand what is reason of issue. For example IE 8 does not support some technologies and this is reason why IE 8 can't open TLS 1.2 websites. Before to try something with e-mail client you should understand that IMAP has encrytion too. Oh, I tried to connect to Yandex servers using Windows XP CMD and was no succesfull, because CMD use OS features. I'm not expert with enctyption and IMAP, so maybe somebody can be better.

Just launch IE 8 and try to open several websites (10-20) and check them in ssllab.

Edited by DrunkenTanker

TLS 1.2 and 1.2 - until now - I understand are required for:

1.) (as I could read, but not my interesst, so I am not following this, whether can/may/does work, please) for ´XP MS-Updates´ online ´still´ receiving, but (they are) updates for XP-Embedded, not for XP, despite some (updates) appears (probably) to work, some will not or worse; as well as ?, but this is not my business. 

2.) for browser (IE8 (XP)), which is also not my interesst. My 3 browsers bring with the required TLS. But only for the browser, not for Outlook Express (6) (XP) with. As far as I understand from the different steps to install TLS (1.1 and 1.2), that have to be done, either for browser OR for OE6.

3.) (and) for OE6, that OE6 is able to get thefurther working access to the eMail-accounts as before. Nothing else there is to change. Not from POP3 to IMAP or similar. (POP3 is ´mostly´ for free accounts, as I know now, but the point is: POP3 HAS not to be changed. )

For 1.) and 3.) at least (for 2.) I do not remember by now), requires for installing the (TLS) update(s) this ´PosReady´ key, worth ´Installed´ to ´1´.

This is the issue, the point, and question, please, here, in this contribution, thread. OK ?

https://clienttest.ssllabs.com:8443/ssltest/viewMyClient.html , despite TLS 1.1 & 1.2 still not installed (!), is twice showing wrong: 223415030_TSLtestfalsepositive1.jpg.f204834ef6f0c3a9b212a6bad5c2cf63.jpg

825130393_TSLtestfalsepositive2finished.jpg.095cac9283b6222c1e1b4f83d2f7b70b.jpg

(Just saying, please.) If TLS (1.2) would be (correctly) installed all, OE6 SHOULD work properly again. (It still doesn´t.)

Edited by visionhelp
graphical appearance, wording betterment

Results of my researches now:

1.) A reg-file in (Windows) start-up for trying to access the wished registry changes will not work. As same as in the running windows itself.

2.) Access to the registy from a second running system, run the regedit.exe there. Select a main-key, -> ´File´ -> ´Structure load´ (Structure correct translation from the german Struktur ?), -> go to (the (drive, the partition, the XP system registry, You want to access to) -> (folder) Windows/System32/config/ and select SYSTEM and/or SOFTWARE. (Before a backup perhaps, before changing anything.)

(Note: After the changes are done: do not miss to ´Unload structure´ or Structure unload´, I don´t know by now.)

3.) The tool ´ERD Commander V.5´ (for XP) https://calmit.org/free-erd-commander-2007/  for CD or stick, has with a registry editor for from CD or usb-stick. (For stick appears to be a challenge, if not ´just´ using the .iso-file ( (in) out of the installed folder ´Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset 5.0´, from the .msi-install). Do not know more there. ! Endorsement: Sorry. After (long) CD-boot the message "test-period expired".)

Well to combine with http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ .

(Both I still do not get to work. Alternativly - ´parallel´ - trying ´Rufus 2.18´ (last version for XP) https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufus.mirror/files/v2.18/   BUT: "Dieses Programm kann nur mit administrativen Rechten aus-geführt werden." (english:) "This program can only be carried out with administrative rights". ´OK´.)

(Note: The ´Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10´ (for XP) has a registry editor also. But only version 18 I can find, which (by now) I can NOT imagine: does work for to access to a not running XP. But I do know nothing there.)

Thanks the interesst.

Whether - and which one - these registry editors will do it now for me, I will see. And I will do still a short report.
The first both tools (under 3.) are still not just to do to figure out - just easily - how to install it working. (Perhaps I have to do a new topic to this. If not exists. OK. With this search: some exists, very old, and not helpful https://msfn.org/board/search/?q=ERD Commander&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=34. So a stop for now first.)

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement

´Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip´ (containing ´Hiren's.BootCD.15.2.iso´, November 2012) found in my archive, inklusive a Registry Editor, working for XP I insinuate, should fulfill my need. (Installed onto bootable usb-stick.)
(After some preparations still: I will report.)

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement, removing unnecessary