Compiling ACPI v2.0 driver for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 (x32/x64)

Mov AX, 0xDEAD

10 hours ago, George King said:

@Dietmar Do you have archived latest patches for HAL*.dll and intelppm.dll for most newer files that we have available?

5.1 x86 intelppm.sys

83 28 20 ->
83 50 21

83 74 1F ->
83 50 21

40 28 74 ->
40 28 50

14 20 22 ->
14 50 21

5.2 x86 intelppm.sys

68 2B 01 ->
90 2C 01

04 83 B4 ->
04 83 90

40 28 B4 ->
40 28 90

14 60 2D ->
14 90 2A

5.2 x64 intelppm.sys

4E FC 00 ->
CC 7B 01

8A A1 FF FF 4C 8D 35 03 A2 ->
4A A1 FF FF 4C 8D 35 43 A1

8D 0D 5E ->
8D 0D 1E

0D 29 8B ->
0D 69 8A

5.1 x86 hal*.dll

unknown

5.2 x86 hal*.dll

unknown

5.2 x64 hal*.dll

BA E2 0F 73 ->
BA E2 0F EB

E0 0F 73 0E ->
E0 0F EB 0E

Can you please check these patches or send me working modded files?

What exactly do these patches do?

• 2 weeks later...

@Dietmar @George King ...took a long time to catch up with you guys. I finally got Dietmar's link at MDL long after it was posted and I have been in touch with George at MDL.

I told George I have a new mobo, an Asus B760M - A D4 and it has CSM in BIOS. I realize this is an XP forum and I have no intention of disrespecting that by asking W7 questions. However, the methodology is the same and I am planning to get XP running on the new mobo as well. However, I am trying to get W7 running first since it seems an easier prospect than getting XP running at this time. Got W10 running satisfactorily, next is W7, then XP.

I noticed in another post that Dietmar is using windbg in a kernel mode setup. I've had a lot of grief using windbg for this even though I'd prefer that method. I have been using a USB to serial adapter and that is part of the problem. I could not get it running well enough from a W7 host to an XP target. MOV@xDEAD was using a LAN setup and covered a USB 3 setup but W7 is finicky with such setups and I am sure XP is even worse. I was trying to get a k-mode connection between W7 and XP. Right now I need to get one between W7 and W7 or W10 and W7, to oserve the boot sequence.

Do you guys have any suggestions on that? What setup are you using to get the host talking to the target?

I am currently experiencing the same 0x7B BSOD error we experienced with XP and that should mean a SATA driver issue. I suppose if I get past that I will get the old ACPI 0xA5 error.

@gordo999

Nice to see you again:)!

For to use Windbg, are you sure that the COM serial port on this board is working?

I noticed on some Intel boards >z390, that the COM port does not work for legacy OS.

I am interested in this board also.

Is it this board? Please check careful, because a lot of similar boards are there

ASUS PRIME B760M-A D4-CSM

90MB1D00-M0EAYC

The correct working of the COM port depends also on the Bios version

Dietmar

17 hours ago, Dietmar said:

@gordo999

Nice to see you again:)!

For to use Windbg, are you sure that the COM serial port on this board is working?

I noticed on some Intel boards >z390, that the COM port does not work for legacy OS.

I am interested in this board also.

Is it this board? Please check careful, because a lot of similar boards are there

ASUS PRIME B760M-A D4-CSM

90MB1D00-M0EAYC

The correct working of the COM port depends also on the Bios version

Dietmar

Dietmar...good to hear from you again. I appreciate all the work you have done with XP.

I have the mobo box in front of me and it says Prime B760M-A D4. Part #90MB1D00-M0AAY0. The 'C' on your part number may be a reference to another definition of CSM offered by Asus. George checked this out and it is confusing.

There is no reference to CSM as on the B360M box but in BIOS there is the same CSM option as in the B360M. In BIOS it is referred to as a Compatibility Support Module and you access CSM in the Boot menu, I recall that George checked with Asus and they confirmed it has CSM. In BIOS, It has the following options:

Launch CSM...Options: Enabled/Disabled

Boot Device Control...Options UEFA and Legacy Oprom, Legacy Oprom Only, UEFI only

Boot from Network Device...Options: Ignore, UEFI only, Legacy only.

Boot from Storage Devices...Options: Ignore, UEFI only, Legacy only.

Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion devices....Options: UEFI only, Legacy only.

One improvement in BIOS is the ability to use a mouse. Also, to access BIOS you need to hold the F2 or DEL key down through the entire boot period. Once into BIOS there is a large screen with convenient information. To access the actual BIOS you need to click on Advanced Mode or use F7, which toggles you into and out of the Advanced Mode.

On the introductory screen there is a handy feature. It appears you can set boot order simply by dragging the desired boot device into various positions.

The board has one serial port and you have to be carefully when connecting to it. Asus has their own pin layout and I can supply that for you since it is hard to find. The connector pinout on the mobo is not the same pinout  used on a serial cable with the same number of pins. More confusion.

I made my own serial cable a while ago and I am going to verify the connections. However, when connected via windbg, I can see a Break if I send one. I need a better serial monitor however and I am looking into that.

Also have a newer laptop running W10 so I'll try my USB to serial connector on it.

A plus on the board is a PS/2 connector but it incorporates both the mouse and keyboard in one connector. So, you need a splitter to plug a USB mouse and keyboard into it.

11 hours ago, Dietmar said:

@gordo999

Hi, I just install XP SP3 to the same Asus B760M-A D4 board.

All works, only no lan driver for the Realtek 8125 2.5Gb, because it is ndis6.

Great news. I am sure it will run W7 just as well. I had XP running well on the B360M but it only ran in SVGA mode with the Nvidia GT 1030. 

@Dietmar Please let me know how your Win7 32bit test goes. I have Asus B360 and I can install my modded XP without issues with all drivers and everything seems fine. But when I try Windows 7 32bit with same generic driver set, no USB works. Same process I do for Win7 x64 and here works everything. Any idea why this can happend? Windows 8.0 32bit and USB doesn't work. But when using XP with same ported Windows 8 driver all works..

EDIT: Windows 10 32 bit have same issue as Windows 7 32 bit on my board. No USB at all. On 64bit it works fine..

Edited by George King

On 10/22/2023 at 1:03 PM, K4sum1 said:

I was able to fix this by disabling the Nvidia GPU, running only on the integrated Intel iGPU. After Windows was installed, it seemed to work with the dGPU enabled, although no drivers made it mostly useless.

However I have a friend with a Broadwell laptop, E5450, and they get this with the ACPI. No dGPU to disable, going to have them look through the BIOS to see if they can find anything.

IMG_20231022_185957.jpg?ex=6547d83c&is=6

Same issue with another Dell Broadwell laptop, this time the E7250.

DSC_0063_1.thumb.jpg.82536bc21daa62d8dc7fbbb225974b50.jpg

On 11/14/2023 at 3:01 AM, K4sum1 said:

Same issue with another Dell Broadwell laptop, this time the E7250.

DSC_0063_1.thumb.jpg.82536bc21daa62d8dc7fbbb225974b50.jpg

Hi Kasumi

Unfortunately kernel crashdump has no information what wrong with DSDT code on your bios. Currenly we have only one way - remote connection from other PC to save dump of ACPI.SYS exection flow.

1 hour ago, Dietmar said:

@K4sum1

Have you tried this 3 very last acpi.sys for

XP SP3, 2003 bit32 and XP SP2 bit64?

They are build for to overcome exact this Bsod

Dietmar

https://ufile.io/0az24621

Yeah it is those.

1 hour ago, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

Hi Kasumi

Unfortunately kernel crashdump has no information what wrong with DSDT code on your bios. Currenly we have only one way - remote connection from other PC to save dump of ACPI.SYS exection flow.

Do you mean the Kernel Debugging over LAN cable thing?

On 11/12/2023 at 10:59 PM, Dietmar said:

@gordo999

Hi, I just install XP SP3 to the same Asus B760M-A D4 board.

All works, only no lan driver for the Realtek 8125 2.5Gb, because it is ndis6.

Oh..still I have hope that @Mov AX, 0xDEAD will listen to us:).

When I have time, I also try win7 Sp1

Dietmar

b760MAD4.png

NDIS 6 will need serious overhaul, you will need MSI/MSI-X interrupt features which PCI.sys of XP doesn't understand

@66cats

Just copy and paste acpi.sys into the Setup folder AMD64 before building the XPSP2bit64.iso via Nlite.

No need to compress it there.

On reboot of install, acpi.sys is changed back to the original version.

Just copy acpi.sys one time more into Windows\system32\drivers.

If you dont like, that the acpi.sys is changed back to its original one,

you have also to put acpi.sys into SP2.cab folder (of XP bit64 SP2)

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar