StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

I just tried to use Win 11 for a day without SAB and while it's now passable because of the taskbar icon ungrouping, SAB just makes things 👨‍🍳!

Edited by mackid1993

StartAllBack is no longer compatible with the latest build in the Dev Channel. Either Microsoft just drastically changed how the taskbar functions or is actively trying to prevent element modifiers from working correctly from here on out. Is there something that you could do on your end to see if it's fixable?

3 minutes ago, iGameShit said:

StartAllBack is no longer compatible with the latest build in the Dev Channel. Either Microsoft just drastically changed how the taskbar functions or is actively trying to prevent element modifiers from working correctly from here on out. Is there something that you could do on your end to see if it's fixable?

Rename the installer to anything else, even TotallyNotStartAllBack_setup_3.7.8.exe will work.

3 minutes ago, iGameShit said:

It's completely arbitrary. You can uninstall SAB, update, change the filename of the setup exe to get rid of "startallback", and it works perfectly.

Hello

Suggestions : would it be possible to have the "accent color" (getting closer) for the color of the tooltips (systray among others) ?
(no Dark mode) And still the white text

It would be "better" than the dark color by default of Windows, I think ?

Thanks

Edited by tistou77

21 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Rename the installer to anything else, even TotallyNotStartAllBack_setup_3.7.8.exe will work.

I renamed the installer to StartAllBackForLatestWindowsInsider_3.7.8_setup and it still wouldn't install. Then renamed it to SABForLatestWindowsInsider_3.7.8_setup, got the usual notice that it's not intended for this version of Windows, but it did install and is fully functional. So it's apparently like thepwrtank18 suggested, you have to remove "startallback" from the name. So thank for the info guys, it works.

Edited by CompUser

I was a little surprised that Open Shell wasn't flagged.  The filename is just as descriptive as SAB's is - OpenShellSetup_4_4_191.

Maybe MS is flagging apps from certain countries that have recently fallen into disfavor?

Jim

4 minutes ago, MidnightInAurora said:

I was a little surprised that Open Shell wasn't flagged.  The filename is just as descriptive as SAB's is - OpenShellSetup_4_4_191.

Maybe MS is flagging apps from certain countries that have recently fallen into disfavor?

Jim

No, Explorer Patcher was flagged as well with the same block. They are flagging anything that restores the Windows 10 taskbar.

This has nothing to do with Russia, if you look at the forum Tihiy is based in Mauritius now and moreover I get the feeling he probably hates the bald **** as much as we all do.

It's likely that he is working on a taskbar rewrite given that updates have been fairly quiet lately, the system tray rewrite was amazing so if he is rewriting the taskbar I'm personally very excited.

Edited by mackid1993

I have a big suspicion they're going to remove the Windows 10 taskbar completely by the release of 24H2. They're just flagging anything using them as "compatibility issues" early, sort of as a warning.

1 minute ago, thepwrtank18 said:

I have a big suspicion they're going to remove the Windows 10 taskbar completely by the release of 24H2. They're just flagging anything using them as "compatibility issues" early, sort of as a warning.

I agree, because Start11 wasn't affected. Start11 has a fully reimplemented taskbar. SAB will likely have the same as Tihiy already reimplemented the systray. It's the only way to not play a cat and mouse game with MS, patching the Win 11 taskbar isn't sustainable as it will contently break any time a change is made which frequently happens in the beta channel. Based on my understanding reimplementation is the only solution. We've known this was going to be an issue for a while so hopefully a beta will be ready before 24H2 is released.

Assuming the theory is true, I'm surprised that they would even bother to flag them as "compatibility issues", making them look like "the bad guys" here.

They could have easily said nothing and made Tihiy deal with the mess with no warning, plus avoiding any PR risk along the lines of "why is Microsoft controlling what software I use".

Maybe someone at Microsoft actually cares about the quality of the start menu ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by thepwrtank18

11 minutes ago, thepwrtank18 said:

Assuming the theory is true, I'm surprised that they would even bother to flag them as "compatibility issues", making them look like "the bad guys" here.

They could have easily said nothing and made Tihiy deal with the mess with no warning, plus avoiding any PR risk along the lines of "why is Microsoft controlling what software I use".

Maybe someone at Microsoft actually cares about the quality of the start menu ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It probably isn't Microsoft being the bad guy or the good guy, they are probably just about to remove the rest of the taskbar like you said. I think this blog post gives some insight into how they feel about this: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20230324-00/?p=107966