StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

@TihiyĀ  Please, fix one Microsoft bug since Windows 11 22H2:

https://superuser.com/questions/1747287/windows-11-22h2-how-to-fix-unwanted-padding-added-to-the-left-side-of-the-item

image.png.c5dca463210eda45b85c4d6a273d714e.png

Another example:

image.thumb.png.13ccdcc6d592bcb3109163d30dea6538.png

It's in View mode "List". In 'View > Table' all looks fine. But in mode List and another one View mode (I forgot which exact), all files and folders has big padding on left for nothing. Microsoft don't fixing it. I can't update Windows to 22H2/23H2 due to this weird bug šŸ¤®

Last hope is StartAllBack šŸ™

PS: I'm licensed user.

On 10/2/2023 at 10:39 PM, Tihiy said:

Yeah this can be fixed by replacing UIFILE in explorerframe.dll from older version

If it will not break other Explorer stuff.

Add this fix please in next update of StartAllBack šŸ™

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This issue was reported by multiple people, but nowhere fix was implemented yet. Since 22H2 release and still nowadays.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huge-padding-in-list-view/16a6a057-893c-46ed-b29f-12b9c0b9ed9b

https://superuser.com/questions/1747287/windows-11-22h2-how-to-fix-unwanted-padding-added-to-the-left-side-of-the-item

And some links that I forgot. Also Windows Feedback Hub I remembered.

Ā 

image.thumb.png.9b19bc64eb80dcf24f9c1f8842bfc336.png

Ā 

As I researched, those paddings on left were added for OneDrive sync-status icons, but OneDrive is used far not everywhere, only in some places. And also can be don't used at all. But even if folder has no OneDrive status icons, these paddings are exist.

Edited by Fullstack

On 10/5/2023 at 12:46 AM, mackid1993 said:

@Tihiy can't redistribute Microsoft's binaries. That's against the law. Unless he can fix it with a hook from SAB but I would suggest following the advice he provided you or wait for Microsoft to fix their bug.

One binary is not serious. If modify it honestly, all is good, and it will be not Microsoft binary, it will be only fix in it. Also I think will be possible to just patch binary, without redistribution of binary itself

If it not actually malware, I'll accept it. I working only in List mode (I hate table view) all the time (except of photos/videos folders, where I using medium/big thumbnails) and I still stay on very old Windows 11 21H2 because I have šŸ¤® feeling of these huge left padding which Microsoft don't fixing for years since starting development of 22H2.

How they are even released that bug in production for people? šŸ˜²

Ā 

StartAllBack saved my life and allowed me to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 (I tried/used/tested and bought StartAllBack especially for returning backĀ thin ungrouped taskbar which not take a lot of screen vertical space, and without bugged look as in alternative software), but only thing that I still want to be fixed is - described above left padding since Windows 11 22H2

Edited by Fullstack

1 hour ago, Fullstack said:

If it not actually malware, I'll accept it. I working only in List mode (I hate table view) all the time (except of photos/videos folders, where I using medium/big thumbnails) and I still stay on very old Windows 11 21H2 because I have šŸ¤® feeling of these huge left padding which Microsoft don't fixing for years since starting development of 22H2.

How they are even released that bug in production for people? šŸ˜²

Ā 

StartAllBack saved my life and allowed me to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 (I tried/used/tested and bought StartAllBack especially for returning backĀ thin ungrouped taskbar which not take a lot of screen vertical space, and without bugged look as in alternative software), but only thing that I still want to be fixed is - described above left padding since Windows 11 22H2

You may want to check out Directory Opus. It's a full file explorer replacement, it'll even replace Win+E and can do so much more. You can do a pretty long free trial and a new version is in beta right now with full dark mode and Everything search. It is extremely customizable and rather than hacking explorer to work the way you want Directory Opus will let you work the way you want because every part of the program can be tweaked.

12 hours ago, T. BugReporter said:

Not likely.Ā  Most Windows files are digitally signed now; any attempt to patch them would be detected as an attempt to inject malware.

Ā 

There's a very, very long history of patching termsrv.dll successfully. If done right, the only thing the OS does is replace it on the next Patch Tuesday (assuming that's one of the files updated that month).

13 hours ago, rseiler said:

If done right, the only thing the OS does is replace it on the next Patch Tuesday

That still means you may need to reinstall the patch many times over. Personally, I think the prospect of repeatedly re-patching is potentially more annoying than the annoyance you're trying to remove.

And speaking of annoyances, with my latest W11 update, I got a new icon on SaB's taskbar with a tooltip saying "Copilot (preview)" that launches Edge (not my default browser) when clicked.Ā  Oddly, it doesn't appear when I turn off SaB.Ā Ā @Tihiy, can you modify SaB to kill it?

P.S.:Ā  Disabling and re-enabling SaB's taskbar causes SaB to ignore my preference for "Combine taskbar buttons"; I have to open the dropdown and re-select "Never" (which is presented as if it still was selected) to get it back to where I want it.

Edited by T. BugReporter

6 hours ago, T. BugReporter said:

And speaking of annoyances, with my latest W11 update, I got a new icon on SaB's taskbar with a tooltip saying "Copilot (preview)" that launches Edge (not my default browser) when clicked.Ā  Oddly, it doesn't appear when I turn off SaB.

Is that in Dev? At least there, I haven't seen Copilot at all, perhaps because I have it disabled in group policy (User Config, Admin Templates, Windows Components). There would also be an equivalent Registry mod to do the same for those without gpedit.

This stupid copilot brings more trouble than good. the internet is full of it. System freeze, crashes up to no longer boot the computer. This bloat software was already not functional in the canary, dev and beta channel version, but they have on the part of microsoft no problems with unfinished junk to anchor in the system. How to get rid of this pile of garbage you can learn with instructions on this page
https://www.neowin.net/guides/how-to-turn-off-or-remove-windows-copilot-on-windows-11/

6 hours ago, Kleine Eule 73 said:

Unfortunately, my W11 system isn't giving a Copilot option inĀ Settings > Personalization > Taskbar like the linked page says - but now, right-clicking the new icon does give an option for turning it off:

(I would have sworn that that wasn't there yesterday...)

Screenshot Copilot.png

On 10/11/2023 at 3:52 PM, T. BugReporter said:

Unfortunately, my W11 system isn't giving a Copilot option inĀ Settings > Personalization > Taskbar like the linked page says - but now, right-clicking the new icon does give an option for turning it off:

(I would have sworn that that wasn't there yesterday...)

Screenshot Copilot.png

I don't think that turns it off, it just removes the icon from the taskbar.