Win9x- MS-DOS: how get more memory and control the CPU?

Joaquim

using the config.sys, how can i get more Upper Memory Blocks - UMB, High Memory Area – HMA and Extended Memory?

i knoe these commands:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM

but i get less memory that i need and some MS-DOS programs\games can't run because of these problem :(

and i'm reading these: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-starter-pack.html

Edited by Joaquim

614K free looks fine to me. How much do you need? Is it for a specific program?

Maybe try these:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off /NUMHANDLES=64
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe /RAM /NOEMS
DOS=UMB,HIGH,AUTO

You could try using MemMaker (from MS-DOS 6) and see how it does.

Backup CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT first.

UMBPCI is another option to try.

some games need 560kb or a little more.. so that's the problem..

i have 636KB's on Convencional memory.. but i use some drivers... and because of that, i don't have 560KB's free

what i can do more?

23 hours ago, Joaquim said:

i must see the MemMaker... i can't find it on Windows 98

It was part of MS-DOS 6.x, it is also in the Olddos.exe package (extract with 7-zip).

Enable all needed drivers in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Optional - rename win.com just in case, so Windows won't start automatically.

Start MemMaker and follow the prompts.

It will do at least two restarts.

When it's done, you can rename back win.com.

Post here a photo of MEM /C /P for comparison :P

https://imgur.com/TLGGbFH

https://imgur.com/xtwVlAL

1st error:

https://imgur.com/HgKGSKC

2nd error: the Warcraf 2 freezes, on menu, on MS-DOS... but not on Windows, Prompt MS-DOS...
PS: i was writing here, when i see the game playing on demo... seems that i lose the mouse(even seen the icon) and no keyboard input
so what you can advice me?

Did you load SMARTDRV yourself or it was loaded by Windows? As you can see SMARTDRV uses most memory, maybe reduce the buffers a bit? 

Do you really need localized keyboard? You can disable KEYB and free 9KB more.

About VSB.COM, is it this? Which version? You should not run it with Windows, only in pure DOS. 

If i remember correctly, Warcraft 2 should run fine with sound under Win9x without loading DOS sound drivers. You just have to configure it properly. 

Are you trying to get more memory in pure DOS, or in the DOS prompt in Windows?

How fast is that system? Maybe Wargus or DOSBox (with D-Fend Reloaded) or ScummVM may be better alternatives.

"Did you load SMARTDRV yourself or it was loaded by Windows? As you can see SMARTDRV uses most memory, maybe reduce the buffers a bit? "

yes... speaking on autoexect.bat or config.sys, can i use an 'if' for test if is MS-DOS or Windows? is for execute these only on MS-DOS.

but. to be honest, i don't know what these do... and the 'doskey.com', i don't know it too.

"Do you really need localized keyboard? You can disable KEYB and free 9KB more."
it's for change my keyboard layout to Portuguese(i'm Portuguese).

"About VSB.COM, is it this? Which version? You should not run it with Windows, only in pure DOS. "

version 2.02
i have 'Intel 82801FB(M) ICH6(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B2]', but theres no drivers for MS-DOS.. so i'm trying use it.

"If i remember correctly, Warcraft 2 should run fine with sound under Win9x without loading DOS sound drivers. You just have to configure it properly. "

yes... but... the Spear of Destiny- Wolf3D don't execute on Windows. justo on MS-DOS, but takes some minutes.

"Are you trying to get more memory in pure DOS, or in the DOS prompt in Windows?"

both for execute MS-DOS games normaly... but if i can use them on DOS prompt in Windows, i will be happy ;)

"How fast is that system? Maybe Wargus or DOSBox (with D-Fend Reloaded) or ScummVM may be better alternatives."

maybe too faste:
CPU: 1.6GH'z
RAM: 512MB's
VRAM: 64MB's

to be honest, why use DOSBox, if it's Win9x!?!

Edited by Joaquim