Wi-Fi don't work in XP (due to a bad configuration/service)

Sergiaws

The wi-fi don't work. I even reinstalled the driver, but it didn't helped. When I checked the list of Wi-Fi connections, it is completely empty even when I press the button to update the list so it should check the available conections. If I try to repair it, it tell that the reparation can't be completed because it can't connect to the network. I tried with another program called wi-fy manager. The ressult is that it shows me the wi-fi conections, but when I try to connect it don't allow me to introduce any kind of password. As a fact I don't have a restoration point in my system. My question is, what could happen with the Wi-Fi? How can I reparate it or delete all the networking configuration of the system?

Edited by dencorso
spelling

When I reinstall XP, my network doesn't show in that list either.

But if I go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Wireless Network Connection -> right-click -> select Properties -> select Wireless Networks tab  -->>  then I can ADD the network under Preferred networks

• dencorso changed the title to Wi-Fi don't work in XP (due to a bad configuration/service)

Check if the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service is enabled and running.

Without it you have to use the tools included with the WiFi adapter drivers (if any).

P.S.

What kind of WiFi is that? Brand, model?

Edited by RainyShadow

The Wi-fy service is enabled. The wi-fy adapter is Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC. The computer has a Windows 7 installation. In Windows 7 the Wi Fy works fine.

I found a driver here with XP support and the additional utilities. I only looked at the manually extracted files and didn't install anything as i don't have a compatible adapter anyways.

Scan with antivirus before running.

Or you can check if the downloads at the official Realtek page still work for XP even though it isn't mentioned there.

[edit] Don't bother with the Realtek driver - it's for Win7+

Edited by RainyShadow

I found a similar driver, but provided by Toshiba so I installed it. My computer is Toshiba Satellite C855-2kP. I tried the PE network. It shows all wi fy conections, I even introduce the password, but don't conect.

In PE Network enable the "Show networkkey on input" option and check that you typed the correct password. Maybe the keyboard is going bad and some key doesn't always work?

Look for a connection manager utility in your driver and try to use it instead. The driver i linked before includes one, that's why i posted it.

Toshiba drivers and tools often need the ConfigFree framework installed before they can work fully.

I didn't typed the password, I pasted it from a document. And I'm prety sure that the document has the wrong password because I used it with the same computer to conect Windows 7 and XP! It's a pity that I didn't created a restoration point, it probably would be useful. I'll do it before touching serious configuration, specially in XP.

So, it doesn't connect even with the driver included tool?

What error message do you get?

Is the issue only with a WPA network? Are you able to connect to open networks? What about network with WEP?

Edited by RainyShadow

The tool which you provided didn't worked because it offer a driver updater. PE Network don't give errors, I tried also with an open phone network, but not work again. It don't provide an error. However, the phone open network is very weak.

29 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

The tool which you provided didn't worked because it offer a driver updater

Did you get the 010336.rar file with size 26MB? Or something else, huh?!

31 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

However, the phone open network is very weak.

If the phone is next to the notebook and you still get weak signal, this may indicate a problem either with the antenna (but you say Win7 works), or with the firmware used by the driver. Changing the driver may help.

Can you post a link to the drivers page at Toshiba? I couldn't find Satellite C855-2kP, only similar models.

I'll try later to download again the file, but I remember that two pages offered me a driver updater. I don't have the exact page where I found the post, but here is the download linc. It's not provided by Toshiba, that original linc is dead. I downloaded it from here.

http://server15.driveridentifier.com/mirrors/download_driver.php?file=server15.driveridentifier.com\www\data\support1.toshiba-tro.de\37\46\82\72\wlesslan-20150507114053.zip